The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Wahooo!!! MF Digital

gogopix

Subscriber
Dear Chuck
Where is your stuff listed?
or just send me an email. I may be interested in some of you equipment, even the back for a friend
Regards
Victor

PSon

Son, actually there was an adapter made by Novaflex for fitting Mamiya 645 lenses to the Contax system. It is now out of production, but may be possible to find one if you check around. Oh, and for the record, I still shoot both Leica M and also Contax 645 w/ Leaf Aptus 75S, though have decided that for my own business model the MF is just too expensive to support continued investment given the small market I am in down in "Old" Mexico. So am in process of selling the MF gear now and just going to stick with 35mm Digital in the future. Sure looking forward to the R10 also, as I still have my stable of great R glass sitting in my cupboard.
Chuck,
I looked for the past 2 years for this adapter to show up but I have not seen the shadow of it yet. Despite I have not seen it it is so hard to imagine how good the adapter is in term of getting the lens to infinity focus since the flange distance for the Mamiya 645M is actually slightly shorter than the Contax 645. Even if it gets to infinity I feel it may not be strong enough for me to put the Apo-Tele 2.8/300 on one end and the Contax 645 and a medium format back on the other end. I hope this adapter will disprove my thought.
Son

PSon

Geez finally i dug you out onto the forums. LOL

Nice to see you my friend come play with us:D:D:D
One down and still counting for more. If there is a polarizing poll for posting Guy would be at one end and Chuck would be at the other end. LOL

David K

Workshop Member
Son,
With you me and Victor in the middle :) I'm in the middle of redecorating my office and need to move around some stuff before posting pics. Some with the Aptus 75S and some with the Mamia ZD.

David

PSon

Son,
With you me and Victor in the middle :) I'm in the middle of redecorating my office and need to move around some stuff before posting pics. Some with the Aptus 75S and some with the Mamia ZD.

David
David,
Yes and don't forget Mark Kay he has the Hasselblad medium format system as well.
Son

dfarkas

Workshop Member
David K.,

I'll beat you to the punch for ZD images. I shot these with the 645ZD and 80mm "kit" lens in studio with Profoto Pro-7a lights. The third image is a 100% crop of the first shot.

Enjoy.

David

PeterA

Hi everyone. I have registered here after Marc Williams told me about the site. I am interested in sharing information and experiences about MF digital and M8. I use a number of systems ( because I am a gearhead) my favourite - because it is so basic, is my Alpa system with a Leaf Aptus 75 back.:) Here she is with a Schneider 24mm on - the other lens I use is a 35 Schneider . I haven't found any lenses than can compete in wide with the Schneiders - matched to a MF digi back - it is a dream camera to own and use.
My main issue I am working on at the moment is what to do with my H1 system - I will either dump the Leaf and switch to Imacon or go with the soon to be released Leaf Afi....
My other issue is learning to use the Canon wide format printer I got talked into buying - and I am thinking that I should gone with Epson....
anyway - hello to you all..

fotografz

A warm welcome Peter !!!

That ALPA is my absolute dream camera. My Ad Agency Christmas bonus is coming up, and rather than surrendering the captial to Uncle Sammy's finance folks at the IRS, I may finally look into one ... to bad the buck is worthless right now : -(

Take care in the Hy6 consideration. I was told by the head of Leaf service that the AFi is a completely different animal and our Aptus backs won't work on it with just an e-adapter or mount change. There may be an upgrade path later. If it is all different, then the Aptus probably won't work on the APLA.

Jim Stone

Workshop Member
Peter,

Nice to have you on the forum, though wish you hadn't shown the picture of your Alpa!! LOL ! You have the system I've been contemplating, but am curious as to why you (and Mark I believe) chose Leaf over other backs, especially Phase. Have been a friend with the Phase rep so have been able to see it in action, but also brainwashed to a degree.
Although a hobbyist, I too am a gearhead of all kinds, and certainly would appreciate any input on the digital back dilemma. At those prices, no one wants to make a mistake. Look forward to seeing some of your work with the Alpa. Many thanks,

Jim

PeterA

Well Marc, it will be interesting to se what leaf have planned...if they are silly with their users then it it wil be a no brainer for me to take my medicine drop the Leaf and switch to Hasselblad - the H1 adaptor plate for an Alpa costs a bundle and whilst Alpa have declared that they will make an AFi adaptor plate - it is a to be made in the future listing on their catalogue...

the more I think about it - the more likely I am to walk into Hasselblad dealer tomorrow and plonk down my cash for a system that actually exists and works....

oh ( editing here) I just noticed your post Jim as I was typing...thanks for your welcome..
Why Leaf for me?

Firstly as I type today and after checking out Imacon and Phase One recently - I seriously believe that there is little difference between the back re quality of files - this wasnt the case more than a year ago when I bought into Leaf.

Imacon file quality couldnt compare with Leaf OR Phase One back then. Now it is a different story and Imacon have a working MF system in H series that is just great.

I really dislike the arrogant way Hasselblad have cut out H1 and H2 owners and their non Imacon backs - but maybe they had to do this in order to be able to be masters of their own destiny - not having to worry about or stand around waiting for Leaf and Phase One backs to fit into future directions on H series bodies..whatever the reason(s) the line in the sand has been drawn...

So now I think you can choose any MF back and get great results - and the standout ( total solution) is ImaFujiBlad...today.

Early adopters like me have to take this reality on the chin and move on..or out...

re Alpa - if you want a highly portable digi and film solution whose only power requirements are the digi back - and you like shooting wide - check it out..dont hold your breath waiting for anyone to match the digi specked LF wides from Schneider or Rodenstock..Alpa is a wide angle camera as far as I am concerned..and a gear fondler's ultimate toy -:) LOL

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Peter, and great to have you here! That Alpa sure is sexy. Maybe if I sold a kidney on eBay...

:D,

Jim Stone

Workshop Member
Peter,

Thanks for the quick reply. I shoot mostly landscapes so wide is wonderful for me. And, as Jack has already said, the Alpa IS very sexy !! IF I jump off this bridge, I'll probably stick to Phase One since I have a "built in" tutor and already have C 1 software.

I agree on the Hassy, not sure I like their closed ways, but guess if it works so be it. Didn't mention before, but also have a Contax 645 with a few lenses, so that plays into the decision.

Jack and Guy,

Am afraid all of your advice may go out the window!! But I can get by with only one kidney......I hope ! :D

Jim

fotografz

LOL! Man-o-man ... the Kidney Bank is going to be flush thanks to Peter A ( hey Pete does the A stand for ALPA? ...as in, that's your last name : -)

I agree with Peter. I honestly don't think there is much difference in the files from all these top level digital backs anymore. Each system has it's own slight design advantages ... like how the Phase One integrates the battery into the body of the back, or the huge LCD tap screen of the Aptus and their wifi set up... or Sinar's integrated memory if you need it, and Hasselblad's grip battery solution that eliminates aux batteries altogether.

I have and use the Aptus 75s, as well as the H3D/39 & H3D/31. In my real job as an ad agency creative director, I've been on shoots where the photographer was using Phase One P-45 or Sinar also. So I've seen all of them intensely in action. Phase and Hasselblad use the same Kodak sensors, while Leaf and Sinar use the same Dalsa sensors. So no surprise they are getting similar results in the hands of experts.

I REALLY believe the main difference now is in the dealer you select, and to a lesser degree what you are used to for processing. Hasselblad is moving to a totally integrated DSLR like a Canon which includes some interesting software advancement that take advantage of that increased communication between all systems elements.
The new "Phocus" software and it's attendant firmware upgrades look very promising.

So Jim, I'd say the path you are considering is a sound one. You have a dealer you can trust and work with, Phase One supports the Contax 645, and you are already famililar with Capture One.

PeterA

We may need to start an Alpa owners club - maybe we can let Alpa know and get some group discounts! LOL

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Man that Alpa is just flat out sexy looking. i knew i should stay out of this section of the forum. I have no kidneys left already:D

mark1958

The alpa looks like a great system. WHich model is that in the photo? What is the difference in ease of use with the XY?.

Jack.. selling a piece of liver is a better idea.. it will regenerate to original size !

PeterA

Very funny Gus and Jack! :)

mark pictured is the 12 with shift - I dont use the shift function.
the XY is a tripod mount only system and perfect for making stitched shots and panoramas.

the Alpa system is about matching teh best Wide angle glas to your choice of caprure medium - without any automation or bells and whistles that a studied shot does nto require.

Cheers
PeterA