The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

90mm HR review - pushing the lens to its limits

Got a few messages from some people regarding the new 90HR. Received it a while ago but haven't had time to really test the lens and push it to the limits. I would have to say that this is the sharpest lens I have ever used.

All photos taken with P65+ and Alpa Max

Here are some test photos taken with the lens:

First one is an interior shot. Plain and simple. The sharpness of this lens made the editing process slightly longer. It resolved very small pieces of dust on the wall from 4-5 meters away.

Pushed the lens to its limits with 18 degrees of tilt and 15mm of shift. I was very impressed with the lenses ability to take macro shots using multiple Tilt/shift adapters.

and a crop from the same picture above:

In doing these tests, I saw a book sitting in my room with photos of paintings. The prints were not the best quality in the book, but the lens was able to really bring the pictures to life. 1st two paintings by Dali, and 3rd by Picasso

anGy

Very interesting, thanks Shortpballer
If by any chance you possess the Schneider 80mm LS lens for the 645 DF body, how would you rate it compared to the Rodie 90mm ?
It makes no doubt for me that Rodenstock & Schneider digitar are the king in the 24 to 60mm focals. But I'm not so sure that the IQ difference is strong enough from 80mm and up to justify using those lenses and tech. cam systems compared to the easy to operate and very good DF system lenses.
(ok I know, the mirror clap of the DF is maybe good enough reason for using a tech cam when top IQ is expected...)

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
anGy: I've not used the 90HR yet, but it's probably worth noting in context that a tech camera provides shift/rise/fall/swing/tilt and in-image-circle stitching whereas the 80LS and other SLR lenses do not (other than the 120TS and 45TS and 50S).

The 80LS is very sharp, and the 110LS and 150D even sharper. But their inability to tilt/shift/swing may be a stumbling block for those already used to these things in a tech camera system. I guess P1 could go the route of the Hassy HTS, but I don't see the added glass and magnification as being able to compete with an optically pure tech camera system.

Also the weight/size to add a 90HR would be significantly less for someone who already owns a tech camera, as opposed to adding a DF body, batteries, lens, and other accessories.

On the other hand as you say the DF is much easier to use (autofocus, TTL composition, AF confirmation, metering, electronically controlled exposures) and can handle a broad range of photography (e.g. fashion, portrait, events) that a tech camera is less well suited for.

It's not always purely a case of comparing optical sharpness. That's just one factor to consider on which path is right for you.

As doug already stated, they are for completely different shooting styles. But in reference to the 80mm, I would say its not even a competition. If you want to talk about the 110 LS that could be a closer battle. But it is completely impossible to take pictures as I took with any of the DF lenses. I had 18 degrees of shift plus 34mm of macro extension. One of the huge differences I have seen in changing from Hasselblad lenses to Rodenstock is the colors. I feel that the colors are better representing and are more vibrant through the Rodi lenses. The out of focus rendering on the Rodenstocks is far more pleasing to my eyes as well. There is no justification to switching over to a tech cam just because of an IQ difference. IQ was definitely not my reason for changing over. Though I am noticing my photos have far more pop and are much more interesting without doing a single edit.

Very interesting, thanks Shortpballer
If by any chance you possess the Schneider 80mm LS lens for the 645 DF body, how would you rate it compared to the Rodie 90mm ?
It makes no doubt for me that Rodenstock & Schneider digitar are the king in the 24 to 60mm focals. But I'm not so sure that the IQ difference is strong enough from 80mm and up to justify using those lenses and tech. cam systems compared to the easy to operate and very good DF system lenses.
(ok I know, the mirror clap of the DF is maybe good enough reason for using a tech cam when top IQ is expected...)

Dan Santoso

My 80mm LS is not that sharp, my dealer copy is the same.

110LS is sharp.

I wish phase one system can use some lens from sinar or alpha.

anGy

My 80mm copy is super sharp, almost as sharp as my 150mm Mamiya.
For me it's good enough for most purposes but of course even better results are always temping.
I agree of course that T&S lenses do offer clear technical bonus.
But I also see for instance that tilting a 32mm lens for near/far depth of field is quite easy when tilting a 90mm for getting the same results as the posted pics here above is not doable (for me) without a tethered solution.
And I'm not ready for tethering on field (too much constrains). And the shoot/check on screen of my IQ thing is quickly getting on my nerves...
Getting good focus with a 32mm lens is not difficult, getting accurate depth of field with a 90mm on a tech cam is another story.
Perspective control is important with wide angle lenses, not that critical with longer lenses.
Although tech cams with wide angle lenses are the only way to go with big megapixels backs, I then still have the impression that most of the advantages are melting down with longer focal length lenses for tech cams (notwithstanding their better sharpness, micro contrast and color rendering)

studio347

I wonder the differences between 90 HR and 100 HR, also between 90 HR and 100 schneider digitar. Can you share your opinion if you can?
My wild and maybe-wrong guess ( I have only 100 schneider) is that 90 HR and 100 HR is similar since 100 HR's smaller image circle might give some advantage to 100 HR. And 90 HR is better than 100 schnider a bit... I'm not sure how much...

aeaemd

Tethering in the field is painful. However, it is easier now because of the thunderbolt and the firewire adapter. You can tether now to MacAIr 11 inch which is very small and easy to carry around.

narikin

Tethering in the field is painful. However, it is easier now because of the thunderbolt and the firewire adapter. You can tether now to MacAIr 11 inch which is very small and easy to carry around.
Unless you are operating with assistants, tethering is a pain, period. Solo photographers -many of us, I'd imagine- simply can't deal with it easily on location, plus I operate in rough public areas sometimes, so don't want $ laptops out. I eagerly await, and wait, and wait, for USB3 to be enabled by Phase, when at least a lightweight Retina display pro tablet, like a Surface Pro with proper Intel i5 processors, can be used to quickly check focus, then put away.

I'm still struggling with precise focus even on the IQ backs - not really finding it sharp enough to spot critical focus point. Yes I use HPF rings and laser finder, but still want to confirm precisely what I'm getting on screen, rather than trusting the laser - using a 2" LCD screen in sunshine isn't easy!