The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hy6 Upgrade to Hy6 Mod2

DHW-Jhartje

Hi

My name is Johannes Hartje an employee of DHW.

I have seen here in this forum and in several other places that there was a bit misunderstanding concerning our offer to update your existing Hy6 to the new Hy6 Mod2.

First of all it is about the possibility for an Upgrade at all:
An upgrade for Hy6 is possible from now on and you can send us your body for this service to our factory in Braunschweig, Germany! There is no reason to wait any longer, as the Hy6 Mod2 is finished in development. Of cause we haven’t stopped developing at all, but I guess this will never be the case!

Second the pricing for an upgrade:
This is the biggest misunderstanding I think, so let me explain: As EricWHiss posted after a conversation with my colleague Reiner Schoenrock a possible price for an upgrade for the Hy6 is about 350 €. But this isn’t that right. This price is only for an firmware update for one special version of Hy6 and is not a complete upgrade.
For most existing Hy6 versions out there we have to charge more. This is because of the many hardware upgrades that have to be made. My colleague who is doing this upgrade has to work for round about one day to complete an upgrade. He has to change some PCBs, change the mount of the handgrip and several other things.
So depending on your S/N and your firmware-version the price will be between 740 € and 1087 €. So the best would be to send an email with the required information to our service department to get a complete estimate.

I can imagine the confusion about the differences in the mentioned prices but I think this is still a fair price for getting our new product. I hope this will end a bit the confusion going on here and in other forums as well. I’m opened for any opinion on the above-noted.

The most important information we need to figure out if an upgrade is possible or not and how much the exact price would be is the serial number on the bottom of the camera. Every other information we would need we should have in our database.

if you are interested in this service this is the contact information:

Email: [email protected]

Adress:

DHW Fototechnik GmbH

Service
Salzdahlumerstraße 196
D-38126 Braunschweig

And of course you can allways email me via [email protected].

Best regards,

Johannes Hartje

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Welcome to the forum, stick around! Knowledgeable manufacturers and reps are a great addition to the dialogues here. The Hy6 and the resurrected DHW are of great interest to a few frequent users here, and likely many more who don't post (the "lurkers").

Anders_HK

Johannes, Very welcome to the forum! Great to see DHW here! :thumbs: I believe along with "Yaya" Yair Shahar you are the only gents representing manufacturers here. That is a really good thing and much appreciated support! :salute:

Welcome to the forum, stick around! Knowledgeable manufacturers and reps are a great addition to the dialogues here. The Hy6 and the resurrected DHW are of great interest to a few frequent users here, and likely many more who don't post (the "lurkers").
Doug, I believe you are pointing a finger on me for one as a passionate Hy6 user :D. I do much enjoy my Hy6 and indeed any info on it. Why I enjoy it? It works superbly and is joy to photograph with. Mine has WLF with large and bright view like a mini view camera. That is for my pre visualization, balance and controls are superb. Using WLF I am able to cradle hold the camera and when I support my body and take a deep breath able to make sharp images at lower shutter speeds than I did on a Mamiya AFDIII. I need that for the 80MP Leaf back. The rotating sensor in my AFi-12 back works splendid to the Hy6 and tilt display too.

The upgrade of older camera bodies to Mod 2 is a much appreciated option. It was funny at last Photokina... DHW made a contrast announcement to the incremental offerings by other medium format manufacturers who again require to sell and buy new... Thus Mod 2 :thumbs:

Johannes, could you please list in detail what Mod2 upgrade includes? I did post on LuLa per my tele call with Hans months back, but it is good to get a confirmation from you here in forum; Current Hy6 / Afi situation

Any fresh product images to show and explain what a new Mod 2 camera would bring? Attractive images of gear are always appreciated in this forum, and the Hy6 always looks great and even really sexy camera :OT:

Thanks!

Best regards,
Anders

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Great to see some news on the Hy6. Please keep on posting :thumbup:
This is the camera I will buy as soon as I can afford this logical step between the F6 and the GX680.

PeterA

Hi Johannes,

Thanks for saying hello and providing an update on the Hy6. I will be contacting you shortly to arrange the upgrade.

Please feel free to provide the forum with any news from your company and its products!

All the best from Australia
Pete

gerald.d

That's remarkable value for an upgrade that requires a man day of effort and what sounds like fairly significant parts replacement.

Bravo!

DHW-Jhartje

So as requested, here are some nice product pictures:)

hope you like them :

I also attached a file regarding some Rollei 35, please let me know, which one do you like most :)

Anders_HK

I like the Hy6 most --- (of course) :D.

Now, if you could make a similar small camera as Rollei 35 to clip onto my Leaf back, say in combo of concept of Hassy SWC and fashion style of Rollei 35, that would be the winner! :thumbs:

Perhaps add other back mounts to finance more sales? :clap:

DeckardTrinity

Welcome Johannes! It is great to see an official representative of DHW here on the forums!

I've been very busy lately, and just have not had the time for my Hy6 and recent addition - Leaf Credo 80. But I have been wanting to do the upgrade for quite a few months, it's just completely slipped my mind. I may very well be sending you a camera in the next few days as this seems like a great time amidst some downtime.

One thing I want to say to others here - DHW took very good care of me last year when my Hy6 6x6 film back broke. I believe the total time from DHW receiving the back until I received it repaired was less than one week - and covered under warranty! Oh... and I was also very pleased to find that I received the very slick looking new black design of the back instead of the gray! I may just have to budget the purchase of an actual original Hy6 Mod 2 to match sometime down the road. :thumbs: