The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Schneider 35mm and an IQ180

malmac

Ed

Do you mind sharing your logic re the HR40 Vs HR32?

You do really fantastic wide angle shots so I guess I am surprised by your comment.

Mal

Don Libby

Don, why upgrade from the IQ160 to 180 besides the better color, more dots and incredible DR? ;0

If I had to do it again, I might opt for the HR40 over the HR32.
Ed, I'm not saying that I'm upgrading anytime soon if ever. I guess what I really want is the ability to upgrade should I ever really want to. By ability I mean that my lenses will work with either with no issues. The one thing I like the most is the ability to shoot ISO35 as I always want to shoot as low as I possible can. Knowing my luck the next IQ will shoot lower than 35 and then I'll want that one as well...

I remember seeing your HR32 in Florida last year; size wise that thing is a beast. As nice as it is I think for what I do for landscape work it's just too wide when compared to either the 35 or 40mm lenses; if I need/want to go supper-wide all I need to do is stitch. Truth be told is that I use my 72 more than the 35 or 120 when I'm in Jackson Hole.

Don

Don Libby

Okay, I might be shooting myself in the foot seeing as how I'm selling the 35XL but here it goes.

This is a comparison between the HR40 t/s and SK35XL taken using my Cambo WRS and IQ160. No center filter on the 40; the 35 has it. Three shots, no correction center, 10mm left and right. No LCC was done at the time with either lens however after seeing the 35 I wanted to show what it'd look like with just a small amount of work so I went back out and shot 3-LCCs. I didn't shoot any LCCs for the 40 for the simple reason none of the files looked like they needed them; in practice I'll continue to shoot LCCs as it better to have them and not need them.

HR40 10mm Left

HR40 Center

HR40 10mm Right

Next the 35XL unprocessed

Don Libby

I understand this is away from my original question however some people asked to see the difference and frankly I was interested as well. This set of images are from the Schneider 35mm XL with center filter and no LCC correction.

35mm 10mm Left

35mm Center

35mm 10mm Right

Next is the corrected files for the 35mm

Don Libby

Here's the end of it, corrected files using LCCs. I've never had a problem using the 35mm with either the P45, P65 or IQ160 so long as I take just a little effort in shooting LCCs - however that's the nature of the beast in using a tech cam. I routinely shoot an LCC for all my lenses, 72 and 120mm.

35mm 10mm Left - Corrected

35mm Center - Corrected

35mm 10mm Right - Corrected

One last note - I've done all the processing on my laptop so I can have the files readily available for the next couple weeks while I'm on the road.

Hope these help.

Don

tashley

Subscriber Member
For those using the HR40 on the IQ180, do you have any observations that might be useful as a summary of your experience? My dealer has had all my Phase kit for sale for many months now and hasn't been able to shift the back, body or 80mm kit lens. Everything else is gone. I still have the Cambo WRS and 35XL 'back at base' and if the dealer can't sell the back, as he appears not to be able to, then I might well just take it back and keep it, advertise the 35XL and the Phase body and kit lens for sale and buy a 40HR on an 840 TS panel. This will fill in the gap created by there being no decent wide TS lens in Nikon mount at the moment.

With the 35 XL I can can shoot at F16 and distance set to between 3 and 5 metres and everything is always in focus. It's just that the LCC thing is a pain and not effective with movements.

So I'd be really interested to hear what the practical smallest aperture usage of the HR40 is on the IQ180 before diffraction becomes a real issue, and what focus and DOF techniques people use at that aperture if they have a landscape to shoot and want as much in focus as possible which, for me, means 'from infinity to as near the camera as I can achieve'?

Thanks in advance!

Paul2660

Don

If you have the time can you shift the 40mm out to 15 or 18mm? I curious to see if there is much sat or detail falloff and if the lens shows the hard corner vignetting aka the disk that shows up with the rod 35 23 and 28?

Thanks Paul Caldwell