The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Just A Phase I was going through

Paratom

Seems the times when Macs were allways running more stable than PCs are over ;)

You know it maybe wise to actually clone the MBP on a external firewire using Super duper or carbon copy. Than boot from that on your desktop and zero out you main hard drive on the desktop and than clone the MPB clone over to the desktop. That should clear it up in a heart beat if the MBP is fine. I do this a lot. But before you do that clone your existing hard drive on another partition in case all goes wrong. Which is very rare.

To me this actually sounds more like a Mac OS issue than anything else on your desktop

Geoff

FWIW, computer programs and stability of OS and software seem to come in waves. For example, C1 3.7 and OS 10.4.11 are very stable. But recent upgrades (Leopard, C1 4) have been causing all sorts of issues - and the period of the past year or two where the OS was rock solid has been changed.

I'm sure Apple will straighten it out - rumor has it the next upgrade is a simpler OS, without the complexities of the present Leopard. I've stayed with 10.4.11, so that Imageprint, C1 and all the others still work without hassle. Sometimes its just fine to stay off the cutting edge.

Geoff

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I hear you Geoff, A Adobe raw update hosed my MBP a while back and spread over to my desktop back when we did the Carmel workshop and I had a lot of trouble afterward. I finally cleaned the whole system and reloaded. This time with CS4 I threw everything Adobe off my system and I mean everything before installing CS4 and a new version of Acrobat Pro. Same with C1 i cleaned the whole system and there are files in places that you would not expect also. Just a while back there was a big issue with Phocus and Aperture on the Macs and many issues where reported here. Seems some of these things are more OS issues. I guess as these OS systems keep getting bloated with more stuff we see this more often now. I agree this gets frustrating and when I had a windows box I had more troubles than I care to think about which made me sell it all and move to Mac. It's been a good move but not without some issues also

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
BTW Tim glad everything seems to have settled down. These systems and I don't care which one you pick there are some growing pains to learning the system and getting things straightened out but seems like your dealer was very helpful and one reason i like having a good dealer.

J

jmvdigital

This is only on my Mac Pro, as mentioned the two Macbook pro's have been give or take fine since day one, and this is where the frustration stems from.and just for the record, the mac pro runs everything else (LR, PS, Phocus, photomechanic) with-out a hitch, so I don't think it's the machine!
There may not be anything "wrong" with the machine, but it doesn't sound like it's necessarily a software problem you can fix right now either. Especially not since you did a total wipe. After the wipe, was it a fresh install of EVERYTHING, or did you use an external drive to "archive and update" type of thing where OS X pulls back in your users and settings? Are you running the same version of OS X on both the Mac Pro and MBP (10.5.5 being the latest)? You could try what Guy suggested with the cloning business.

My gut feeling is that if you're:
1.) up-to-date on all software updates (C1, OS X, drivers, etc.)
2.) not running other apps at the same time (e.g., Safari is known to bog down LR and CS3 for an unknown reason)
3.) unplug all external devices and drives you don't need (for now, just to see)
4.) have run some sort of harddrive utility just for sh*ts (e.g., Disk Warrior)
5.) running OS X 10.5.5 on both the MBP and MP
6.) accessing the same photos from the same drive for both machines
6.) and there are no other differences between your MBP system and your MP system that you can think of

...it's got to be the hardware differences with MacPro machine. I don't mean anything is wrong with the machine, but that there is some sort of driver or hardware compatibility or bug issue between it and C1. The most likely culprit may be the graphics card and drivers. They can cause all sorts of problems in graphics intense applications, and for whatever reason is plaguing only C1 and your system. This is why you want to try shutting down as many apps and external devices and drives you can when you have these types of unexplainable problems. It could even be something silly like a Wacom tablet driver causing the hangs. I dunno, just some suggestions.

carstenw

You could try creating a new account and installing there, before doing a full reinstall, in case you were thinking of doing another.

arashm

Justin, Guy and all thanks for the reply
just to provide some feedback on your post...
My MacPro is strictly a photo station, there is no other random apps on it, basically CS, LR, Phocus, C1, photomechanic.
when I did the reinstal, I zero'd out the disk, then installed os and then installed the above SW as a clean new instal and activation.
The machine has all the current updates and is running the latest os and updates for all the mentioned programs. Ironically it's my main laptop that has all sorts of random software, movies, music.... and cr*p on it, and is used most for surfing and emailing and forum reading (it's a pro activity you know :ROTFL: ).
I have also both times tried running Disk Utility and it always checks out clean. But the symptoms of the problem are always the same!
Guy I like your idea of making a copy of the MBP and then running it on the MP to see if it works, I will try that soon, but it's a busy this week. (or I'm going to snap and stay up late one night and do it :) lol I'm so glad I'm amoungst people who understand) Also I'm glad to hear that your machine is behaving, motivates me to get to the bottom of it.
Justin I have from time to time wondered if it's a video card issue, but no other software seems to indicate that. And yes I wouldn't for a second be surprised if it is something as silly as the Wacom Tablet driver or a PS plug in time code or something.
Oh well, back to work
thank you
am

Chris C

Andrew - I really like your work, and I spent a long time at your site. Some of the 'Light Respirations' are beguiling images.

............. Chris