The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IQ180/Aptus II 80/Credo 80 Optimum ISO

jagsiva

For critical work on a tripod, what is your preferred ISO on the IQ/Leaf 80MP sensor, assuming of course that there are no other considerations regarding shutter speed or aperture?

Is there a point at which you feel sensor noise from longer exposure time defeats any low ISO noise advantage?

I am asking in the context of tech cam usage, but not sure that is too relevant to the context above.

I have not noticed too much of a difference in DR or noise between 32 to 100. Looking for others' experience.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts...

Last edited:

kdphotography

On a tech cam, I've been limiting myself mostly to ISO 35 and 50, and rarely 100; I think once at 200. I'm locked down on a sturdy tripod and no real concerns about noise, but then again I don't think I've had need to to beyond a thirty second exposure on the IQ180.

On the DF, I'm hand holding and working on tripod, and much more apt to be moving around or in more difficult lighting situations. I don't like using higher camera speeds in general (even with a Canon DSLR), but I won't hesitate to bump the ISO up, with or without sensor+. On the DF, I'm more apt to hover in the range of 50 to 400.

ken

narikin

Definitely 100 is Max, I try everything I can to keep to 50 though.
I can see a clear difference in granularity at 100 over 50asa, to me 200 is for emergencies only. 400 is unusable.

I can't wait till MF backs move to CMOS technology with 100 as the base ISO and clean 3200asa files usable. Hopefully the Hasselblad tie up with Sony should supply this to them, Maybe Phase can work with Fuji and their x-trans sensor or something - there's a possible hint in the Fuji cameras being supported in Capture One 7.0. Or maybe I'm dreaming.

Definitely 100 is Max, I try everything I can to keep to 50 though.
I can see a clear difference in granularity at 100 over 50asa, to me 200 is for emergencies only. 400 is unusable.

I can't wait till MF backs move to CMOS technology with 100 as the base ISO and clean 3200asa files usable.
I guess it depends on your criteria, keeping in mind the immense resolution and print sizes, would 400 would be unusable for A2? Are you saying you can see the difference in noise between 50/100 on a print or 100% on screen?