The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Portfolio Ideas? For Landscape and Portrait?

Been through lots of different types and sizes of portfolios. Right now we are using an A3 book with photos printed A4 with white borders(loose prints to allow viewer to set images aside). We now have a book that is getting very full of both landscape and portrait images. Is there a book out there that can somehow allow the use of both images without the viewer having to pull the picture out and rotate it?

jerryreed

There is likely to be accepted practices that differ depending upon the expectations of the portfolio reviewer to whom you are anticipating showing your work. My own experience as a fine art photographer has led me to this working practice; the work should be printed on the same paper (or other substrate) that you would propose to show. The prints should be loose, not in glassine or other protective sleeves, pages or forms of organizations.

This prohibition suggestion is supported by the uniform dislike of reviewers (remember I am saying fine art), who have only 20 minutes to review 20 pieces and to provide feedback and other such suggestions as may be helpful to you.

As to your specific interest in how best to show images in both landscape and portrait modes, two ideas come to mind (remember I am saying that the prints are loose) arrange all of each format separately; say landscapes first followed by those to be seen in portrait mode. At the break in order of presentation, turn the clam shell style (oh, I did not mention that the clam shell style portfolio box is uniformly preferred) ninety degrees then the images and proceed appropriately oriented to the reviewer - and more importantly to you still in the same presentation order, since your next review may be in as little as five minutes.

The second idea is to print your strongest images in the natural format; landscapes printed with the paper in the landscape mode. Then print smaller versions of the portrait mode images, but still in the landscape mode. As an aside, all my images are shown square, but I print on paper in the portrait mode, with a slight weighting to the bottom of the rectangular paper. For example 10 by 10 inch prints on 16 by 20 inch paper.

I hope that helps, and that I have understood your question.

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
portfoliobox.com. They will build a box to any size you want. I've purchased several and they are well made.

Jerry,
Thank You very much for your in depth explanation. It seems that you answered all my questions more thoroughly then the questions I asked!

We are currently using the clamshell type box with loose photos without protective sleeves, etc. Only problem right now is that we have so much different work in our book that it is hard to separate landscape and portrait. It is probably a lot my fault as I did several contracts or shoots in both landscape and portrait. To separate the shoot almost seems redundant when the viewer returns to that shoot, but this time in landscape instead of portrait (for example).

What could have been better was to have a square portfolio from the beginning. Then print landscape and portrait on the square portfolio with nice white borders around each photo. (Too late for this one 80 prints later and thousands of euros...)

There is likely to be accepted practices that differ depending upon the expectations of the portfolio reviewer to whom you are anticipating showing your work. My own experience as a fine art photographer has led me to this working practice; the work should be printed on the same paper (or other substrate) that you would propose to show. The prints should be loose, not in glassine or other protective sleeves, pages or forms of organizations.

This prohibition suggestion is supported by the uniform dislike of reviewers (remember I am saying fine art), who have only 20 minutes to review 20 pieces and to provide feedback and other such suggestions as may be helpful to you.

As to your specific interest in how best to show images in both landscape and portrait modes, two ideas come to mind (remember I am saying that the prints are loose) arrange all of each format separately; say landscapes first followed by those to be seen in portrait mode. At the break in order of presentation, turn the clam shell style (oh, I did not mention that the clam shell style portfolio box is uniformly preferred) ninety degrees then the images and proceed appropriately oriented to the reviewer - and more importantly to you still in the same presentation order, since your next review may be in as little as five minutes.

The second idea is to print your strongest images in the natural format; landscapes printed with the paper in the landscape mode. Then print smaller versions of the portrait mode images, but still in the landscape mode. As an aside, all my images are shown square, but I print on paper in the portrait mode, with a slight weighting to the bottom of the rectangular paper. For example 10 by 10 inch prints on 16 by 20 inch paper.

I hope that helps, and that I have understood your question.

jerryreed

Wayne,

Thank you for your suggestion of PORTFOLIO BOX. I think that I will have a 17 by 17 inch box made for a review in OCTOBER in Atlanta.

Jerry

jerryreed

Shortballer,

I guessed incorrectly about the setting for your review. Though you have not stated the nature of the review, it seems from what you are proposing, that it is unlike portfolio reviews with which I am familiar, where the setting is akin to "speed dating". The artist sits down and has 20 minutes to review the work with the reviewer, hopefully resulting the beginning of interest to be followed up on later, leading perhaps to a more lengthy discussion, where the artist might be invited to show their work as part of a group exhibition. There are lots of baby-steps in my process.

It seems that in your setting the length of the discussion is much more extended than those with which I am familiar, making it possible and practical to show and discuss many more pieces.

Best regards,

Jerry

I agree regarding porfoliobox.com. I have created numerous portfolios and have been extremely happy with their service and products.

Its nice to laminate loose prints if they're to be handled a lot, you can wipe them clean. Some feel the laminate looks a little too plasticy though. You can also add a subtle drop shadow on the border, which will be hidden by the mat when framed, but sets the images off a little on an unmounted print.