The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

LCC on C1

Geoff

Just beginning to use LCC in C1 (v6 so far). Does anyone know the difference between the three different settings in setting up the LCC, the first which is just "analyze", the second to "exclude dust" and the last for wide angle lenses?

Do people find that they sometimes don't accept the full amount of light falloff correction as well?

Thanks!

Geoff

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Just beginning to use LCC in C1 (v6 so far). Does anyone know the difference between the three different settings in setting up the LCC, the first which is just "analyze", the second to "exclude dust" and the last for wide angle lenses?

Do people find that they sometimes don't accept the full amount of light falloff correction as well?
Wide angle is meant for small micron backs (P40/P65+, IQ140/160/180, Aptus II 8/10/12, Credo 40/60/80) when used with Schneider Wide angle lenses like the 35XL. It does additional correction for some kinds of artifacts unique to these combinations. When in doubt I use this option. When it's clear that it doesn't apply (i.e. 72XL with a 45+) I turn it off.

The option to exclude dust correction makes the LCC calculation much faster, but precludes the option to remove dust from the image based on the LCC. This option is appropriate to check if you follow the "library" method of LCC.

I find I often correct 100% of the fall off but then add slight vignette to reference/simulate/echo the natural vignette of lenses that dominates many classic landscapes. It focuses the eye inward in the frame and prevents the eye from "falling off" the edge. But by doing it with vignette after fully correcting the natural vignette I insure the amount of the vignette is the same from one image to the next regardless of aperture/lens/movements used and regardless of whether the full frame was used or only a crop (imagine a crop of the left side of the frame, the natural vignette would only be on the left side, which is just visually awkward).

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
For reasons I don't understand, correcting 100% light falloff often makes the entire picture 1 to 2 stops brighter. Easily corrected, but still strange.

--Matt

Geoff

Wide angle is meant for small micron backs (P40/P65+, IQ140/160/180, Aptus II 8/10/12, Credo 40/60/80) when used with Schneider Wide angle lenses like the 35XL. It does additional correction for some kinds of artifacts unique to these combinations. When in doubt I use this option. When it's clear that it doesn't apply (i.e. 72XL with a 45+) I turn it off.

The option to exclude dust correction makes the LCC calculation much faster, but precludes the option to remove dust from the image based on the LCC. This option is appropriate to check if you follow the "library" method of LCC.

I find I often correct 100% of the fall off but then add slight vignette to reference/simulate/echo the natural vignette of lenses that dominates many classic landscapes. It focuses the eye inward in the frame and prevents the eye from "falling off" the edge. But by doing it with vignette after fully correcting the natural vignette I insure the amount of the vignette is the same from one image to the next regardless of aperture/lens/movements used and regardless of whether the full frame was used or only a crop (imagine a crop of the left side of the frame, the natural vignette would only be on the left side, which is just visually awkward).
Doug - Thanks for this. Does this mean that for the larger micron backs (7mu and up) that the simpler LCC, with dust removal, is an adequate choice?

jagsiva

You may want to download C1 v7.02 and give it a test drive for the highly revamped LCC tool. I think this alone is worth the price of the upgrade. Aside from better correction, it is just so much simpler to use. If you have the time, give it a shot.

etrump

You will also want to use the wide angle feature on Rodenstock 32 and wider and perhaps 40 if you are using the full image circle.

Ditto on C1v7, it handles the LCC exposure the way you will most likely shoot them to obtain full benefit.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Doug - Thanks for this. Does this mean that for the larger micron backs (7mu and up) that the simpler LCC, with dust removal, is an adequate choice?
Generally speaking yes.

I still might be concerned with a 7mu back if you use some of the especially extreme-design lenses like the Schneider 28XL with movement. With such outlying cases you may wish to turn on the wide-angle option.