The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

When oh when is USB3 coming to Phase backs?

You paid for the USB3 capabilities? Or the capturing capabilities of the IQ backs with touchscreen interface? To me the release of Capture One 7 helps everyones photography far more than a USB3... I am quite happy their money is being spent on this rather than USB3...

I care. I paid (quite a bit) for a back that claimed(s) to have USB3 as a connectivity option. I keep my promises, I expect others to as well.

From the Phase One site, "The IQ series digital camera backs are the first digital backs to feature a USB3 connection, facilitating faster image transfers than ever before." They even have an image with a cord plugged into it like it actually #^$% works! Unbelievable! What balls they have.

donaldlavay

I am glad that YOUR needs have been met and that YOU believe that P1 R&D is being spend where it best serves YOUR needs. YOU sound like so many today in that YOU appear to believe YOU know what is best for everyone. As a result, the real issue at hand becomes obscured. This is why P1 gets away with it's behavior. However, it will eventually become evident to P1 that you reap what you sow.
BTW- While C1 Pro 7.0.2 probably has superior skin tone rendition with P1 backs it still has a long way to go to come even close to the performance and feature set of either LR or PS.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
There is no question: Phase One promised this feature (and continues to promise it) and it's long overdue. For many/most users it's not of much consequence. For some users it's a pretty big deal. For all users it's very reasonable to expect all promised features of a system you've purchased to be delivered.

All I can tell you is that we've been consistently told, and every sign I've seen, is that: 1) it will happen and 2) it's the highest development priority at P1DK right now.

Pays to be a pessimist... if you don't get what you didn't anticipate, then no big deal, if you do, then great. Phase could have very well have not implemented USB3 at all and no one would bat an eye.

gazwas

I personally don't know how any photographer who shoots threader can not consider this as a major growing issue when stumping up the cash in question for a new P1 back. Relying on the hollow promises, (now for over 2 years?) ignoring it is just silly.

Sure, the camera works great at the moment but with Apple dropping support for firewire on virtually all its machines and the only solution is a string of adapters and cables to make it all work its a pretty important feature IMO.

Whatever happens with the USB port in the current IQ's, the IQ Mk2 must have USB3/Thunderbolt for it to have any future.

kdphotography

Thanks, Doug----good to hear.

The cats are impatient (I really don't like cats either) so it would be nice to see USB3 implemented soon. Don't make Donna and Kenna come out of retirement.

;)

Don Libby

Granted my normal studio setting is a 100' cliff face and several miles away from any sort of computer. I bought the IQ for what it could do at the moment - not what it will be capable of doing in the future. If I need to shoot tethered I can still use the firewire so not having USB is of no real consequence after all there's still the firewire.

I do think it bad form on Phase's part to not address the current status leaving it up to the dealers instead to make excuses. Phase needs to revamp their advertizing until such time as they get the bugs worked out.

Just my 2¢

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Possibly the biggest challenge may be some expectation of faster captures then firewire 800. That may not or is likely not going to happen.
Probable case: equal to slightly faster on usb 3, slower when operating on a backwardly compatible usb 2 post.
-bob

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Sure, the camera works great at the moment but with Apple dropping support for firewire on virtually all its machines and the only solution is a string of adapters and cables to make it all work its a pretty important feature IMO.

Whatever happens with the USB port in the current IQ's, the IQ Mk2 must have USB3/Thunderbolt for it to have any future.
Can you elaborate on your desire for Thunderbolt support?

Every modern* Phase One back works with Thunderbolt today. It doesn't require a "string of adapters" only one (1) small dongle which costs $29.

For that price you can gaffe tape or superglue one to the end of your firewire cables if you feel it awkward; though I'd tell you it's not needed, the [cable>adapter>port] physical connection is actually more solid than the native FW800 physical connection (which can easily walk it's way out if you wiggle it back and forth).

*P, P+, IQ

donaldlavay

Doug,
I spent $4000 on a windows laptop when I purchased the IQ 160 in anticipation of a functioning USB 3 connection as was advertised. Thunderbolt is of no use to me unless P1 wants to spring for a new Mac AND the appropriate only $29 connector. As much as you might try there is really no way you can support both P1 and your clients on this simple and straightforward outstanding issue.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Doug,
I spent $4000 on a windows laptop when I purchased the IQ 160 in anticipation of a functioning USB 3 connection as was advertised. Thunderbolt is of no use to me unless P1 wants to spring for a new Mac AND the appropriate only $29 connector. As much as you might try there is really no way you can support both P1 and your clients on this simple and straightforward outstanding issue.
Donald, where was I supporting P1 in my post? If there are "sides" in this issue I'm on your side 100%.

Here is what I wrote: "There is no question: Phase One promised this feature (and continues to promise it) and it's long overdue[...] it's very reasonable to expect all promised features of a system you've purchased to be delivered."

My post about Thunderbolt was entirely separate (and a bit off topic). Gazwas was requesting native Thunderbolt support on future backs and I was asking why he would want that when all modern P1 backs already support Thunderbolt with a simple adapter. Obviously as a Windows user that conversation has no bearing on you. P1 promised USB3 and P1 owes you USB3.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I read that most backs now require back battery under Thunderbolt connection. How stable it is to directly use power from the laptop?
No digital back can be powered from Thunderbolt; there isn't nearly enough power. This would be true even if they implemented a native Thunderbolt port on the back. You have to use the digital back's battery.

Every modern Phase One back (and the Leaf Credo) can run off it's own battery while tethered, so you just select "battery power", plug in the cable, and start shooting. The only "chain of adapters" are for older Leaf backs and other brands of back which do not have the ability to run off their own batteries while tethered.

Using the Thunderbolt adapter (with modern P1 and Leaf Credo) is stable, simple, and fast. I don't know what avantages a native Thunderbolt port on a future Phase/Leaf would provide other than eliminating a single $29 adapter (and would obviously raise the price of the back by much more than $29). But I'm open to learning there is a meaningful advantage I'm overlooking.

[again this Thunderbolt conversation is offtopic and separate from the issue of whether Phase One is responsible for implementing a promised feature on their current backs; I agree they are responsible to do that]

JonMo

I have brought up the USB 3.0 issue a number of times in the past and have been just shy of insulted for not simply buying an apple product to run it.

The port is there and I belive it was not put there to help Don keep track of his memory stick!

There are promises and there is bullsh*t.

At present the USB port activation is vapour ware and has personally cost me THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS

gazwas

Can you elaborate on your desire for Thunderbolt support?
If P1 can't get USB3 to work then we at least need a more modern connection then FW800 going forward to the future....... is that not an essential requirement?

P1 picked USB3 whick maxes out at 4.5watts power over cable I think - if they can't get that to juice the backs up then Thunderbolt with 10watts over cable must be a better option......?

My point being I'm not bothered what they get working, all I know is if P1 need to get a simple, no nonsence tethered option working for the future. Is that such an unusual request Doug?

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
If P1 can't get USB3 to work then we at least need a more modern connection then FW800 going forward to the future....... is that not an essential requirement?

P1 picked USB3 whick maxes out at 4.5watts power over cable I think - if they can't get that to juice the backs up then Thunderbolt with 10watts over cable must be a better option......?

My point being I'm not bothered what they get working, all I know is if P1 need to get a simple, no nonsence tethered option working for the future. Is that such an unusual request Doug?
I guess I just don't see what the "nonsense" of the FW->Thunderbolt connection is. To me the current Thunderbolt option is "simple and no nonsense". By the way USB3 also will not power a back; the back will be running off it's own battery. Only FW has enough juice to power a back and even then it's just barely enough.

But yes, I agree they need connectivity other than FW (and Thunderbolt) given that it's reasonable to expect IQs will still be in common use in 10 years (I'm basing that on the continued common use of the H20/H25). Neither FW nor Thunderbolt is of much use for portable Windows users now that Express Cards are becoming rare. All these reasons are why they included USB3 on the IQ.

So I think we both agree: they need to get USB3 working, and soon! They are long overdue on that.

Jay Emm

I read that most backs now require back battery under Thunderbolt connection. How stable it is to directly use power from the laptop?
Sorry to get off the USB 3 topic here, but FWIW, I have found on the H4D that using the $29 adapter Doug mentions (to convert cameras FW to Thunderbolt) I absolutely must have the laptop (latest model MacBook Pro) connected to mains. Running off laptop on it's battery has proved unstable, but when the laptop is plugged into the wall, all is good.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Sorry to get off the USB 3 topic here, but FWIW, I have found on the H4D that using the $29 adapter Doug mentions (to convert cameras FW to Thunderbolt) I absolutely must have the laptop (latest model MacBook Pro) connected to mains. Running off laptop on it's battery has proved unstable, but when the laptop is plugged into the wall, all is good.
For clarification we have not found any issue like this with Phase One backs.

donaldlavay

Donald, where was I supporting P1 in my post? If there are "sides" in this issue I'm on your side 100%.

Here is what I wrote: "There is no question: Phase One promised this feature (and continues to promise it) and it's long overdue[...] it's very reasonable to expect all promised features of a system you've purchased to be delivered."

My post about Thunderbolt was entirely separate (and a bit off topic). Gazwas was requesting native Thunderbolt support on future backs and I was asking why he would want that when all modern P1 backs already support Thunderbolt with a simple adapter. Obviously as a Windows user that conversation has no bearing on you. P1 promised USB3 and P1 owes you USB3.
Doug,
Thanks for the clarification and your support.

Don

jagsiva

FWIW, I think the powered USB3 standard is still in flux, so not totally a P1 screwup. Remember that USB, unlike FW is a very wide "open" standard. I agree that the marketing was a little too aggressive, but at the same time, I would argue that most users have a suitable alternative with FW.