The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

When oh when is USB3 coming to Phase backs?

fotografz

I have no dog in this fight, however I applaud P1 for taking the initiative to add an alternative transfer method when tethered, which Hasselblad has not even addressed or acknowledged ... assumedly relying on FW800 and some Thunderbolt adapter for exclusive Mac usage.

That P1 is very late implementing the USB-3 seems to indicate a difficult task at hand, and perhaps the marketing was aggressive ... yet the alternative would have been not to include the USB-3 on the backs until it was fully working and really piss off early and current IQ adopters when it was added later ... later being now when it is starting to become a more critical matter due to what the computer companies are doing.

Not saying P1 owners shouldn't grouse about it to keep the fire lit under P1's rump, but be thankful it is there ... in IMHO.

-Marc

gerald.d

I would like to add to Doug's comment. USB3 is arriving soon.
-Lionel
"Soon" is a meaningless measure that depending on one's perspective could mean in an hour, a day, a week, a month, a quarter, a year, etc etc.

Care to quantify?

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I for one hope that they take the time and care to deliver a rock-solid implementation.
-bob

narikin

I have brought up the USB 3.0 issue a number of times in the past and have been just shy of insulted for not simply buying an apple product to run it.

The port is there and I belive it was not put there to help Don keep track of his memory stick!

There are promises and there is bullsh*t.

At present the USB port activation is vapour ware and has personally cost me THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS
It hasn't cost me thousands, but it has cost me OOF missed images. I need an ultralight tethered solution to do my stitch work at critical wide open focus (no, the IQ back screen is not good enough) then disconnect and take my images untethered. Yes, the answer may be a Surface Pro or the new Lenovo Helix - both have proper Windows 8 OS, USB3, weigh just over/under 2lbs and use full power intel processors with 'retina' displays.

I'd prefer a tablet style for tethering, as its small, light and simple - the clamshell of a laptop, however small, is somewhat awkward on the street. I used a convertible Fujitsu, and that's kind of great, but heavy for a solo trekker. I would consider an Air when it moves to Retina screen, but it hasn't. Yet. I would consider a 'iPad Pro' with USB3 / Thunderbolt and real Intel processor in it, but that doesn't exist. Yet.

Am happy to work on Windows or Mac, they both have the same damn processors in them, so whomever gives me the best form factor and screen, i.e. the right tool, I'll take it. If... Phase would just damn well deliver USB3 functionality.

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
Can you elaborate on your desire for Thunderbolt support?

Every modern* Phase One back works with Thunderbolt today. It doesn't require a "string of adapters" only one (1) small dongle which costs $29.

For that price you can gaffe tape or superglue one to the end of your firewire cables if you feel it awkward; though I'd tell you it's not needed, the [cable>adapter>port] physical connection is actually more solid than the native FW800 physical connection (which can easily walk it's way out if you wiggle it back and forth).

*P, P+, IQ
But that's not Thunderbolt. Once you plug the dongle in it's a firewire port, not a thunderbolt port anymore and is limited by the firewire specficiations.

I think native thunderbolt is what is being referred to, and I'm sure Phase is considering it for the next iteration of backs, especially if adaptors like those from Apple work so the back only has one port but can effectively interface to TB, USB3, or FW 800.

narikin

What is USB or thunderbolt or buy the poor guy a MacBook Pro?
he means USB3 support is coming. good news.
if it happens soon, its just in time for the new full power tablets that are arriving.

(on windows so far, but expect Apple not to let that slip)

goesbang

Are some people expecting that USB3 or 'native' Thunderbolt will yield faster tethering?
My understanding is that the bottleneck is in the backs ability to quickly deliver data from the sensor. Adding more speed/bandwith to the delivery pipeline from the back to the computer will not in fact add anymore speed. I was given this explanation from the (former) top of the tech tree at Phase.
Can anyone tell us if the situation has changed?

narikin

Are some people expecting that USB3 or 'native' Thunderbolt will yield faster tethering?
My understanding is that the bottleneck is in the backs ability to quickly deliver data from the sensor. Adding more speed/bandwith to the delivery pipeline from the back to the computer will not in fact add anymore speed. I was given this explanation from the (former) top of the tech tree at Phase.
Can anyone tell us if the situation has changed?
Yes. I think everyone here appreciates that.

It's more that the only functioning port on phase backs is a older interface, that appears on almost no new computers today. So we have to move forward. The jury is still out how widespread Thunderbolt will be, but... nearly every single new machine- desktop, laptop and even a few powerful tablets has USB3. So if you want to be connected to the widest range of devices, you need this working.

Must say, judging by the energy of this thread, there obviously is a LOT of desire for it.

neil

A bit off topic comment. In the future do you think the USB socket on the iq back could be used to control / power an electronic shutter. For example the new USB controlled shutter that Rollei announced.

gazwas

A bit off topic comment. In the future do you think the USB socket on the iq back could be used to control / power an electronic shutter. For example the new USB controlled shutter that Rollei announced.
I very much doubt Phase would even consider that looking at the length of time they have taken just to try and switch the damn thing on. Also power management is a balancing act and to have a shutter draining power from the back just spells file corruption to me and best kept separate.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
"Like the grains of sand in an hourglass so are the days of our lives" waiting for any action from P1.
Not that it makes a difference in practice, but there has been a lot of action. What there haven't been, to date, are results.

In other words, they aren't ignoring the problem, and on the contrary are working hard on it, they just haven't solved it yet.

Again, I'd be the first to say this has the same practical effect so far: bottom line USB3 isn't activated on the IQ/Credo yet. But words do matter, especially when emotions rightly run high.

C

Crypto-Museum

Hello All: I think the USB hardware IC vendors to P1 may have had an issue with the driver software.

As an EE, I can say, IEEE1394 is a well defined standard, whereas USB 3.0 standard is relatively new and different chips adhere in various degrees the published standard. P1 has to get that issue sorted out before the IQ firmware enabled for USB is revised, Beta tested and finally released!

Here is the full official USB ORG STD, 22 documents covering 3 years, altogether 22M of PDF! Notice the revision date is TODAY!

http://www.usb.org/developers/docs/usb_ ... 021813.zip
USB.org - Technical White Papers for Download

So it is not surprising that the IC firms are still tweaking drivers for their chips!

Also the IC firms are not very fast to respond to driver support, especially for the comparatively small market volume of P1.

P1 must fix it, so I am confident that they will solve it soon, and that a new FW release will satisfy everyone.

But this is just my speculation. I urge everyone to be patient. :salute:

With Kind Regards,

Jon

Paul2660

One interesting point.
The cable that comes with the IQ series, for USB3 has a unique plug unlike any other I had seen before, until I purchased a Drobo 5D. It has the same type of plug, so maybe there is still hope? Not sure why certain devices require this doubled up style of plug, but it may have something to do with power requirements? But the Drobo has it's own separate power source.

Paul Caldwell

gazwas

I wish P1 would clear this whole mess up as I'm seriously considering upgrading my P65 to an IQ and would really like the USB to be working before I hand over a load of cash to buy one. :mad:

Would hate to buy and P1 release a revision 3 back and drop USB support in favour of something else......

lkuhlmann

I wish P1 would clear this whole mess up as I'm seriously considering upgrading my P65 to an IQ and would really like the USB to be working before I hand over a load of cash to buy one. :mad:

Would hate to buy and P1 release a revision 3 back and drop USB support in favour of something else......
I would suggest you create a support case, and get direct feedback about your options. USB is here to stay.

-Lionel