The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Dilemma

rem

I have to replace my Hasselblad H4D40. Now I'm really not sure which model, again the 40 or (what I think for the moment) the 50er. Bigger Sensor, no crop, 24mm with HTS 1.5 and maybe a better value retention with the 50MP again the 40er (Nikon D800 and maybe Canon soon with something over 40MP...).

What I really like with the 40er is to shoot often freehand, sometimes bad light situations where I go with the ISO to 400, 800, sometimes 1600 (no commercial work, just point and shoot). I know, the 50er is not so good in ISO, but how much is the difference in a all day situation... I intend to order the camera till 31.(tomorrow) and then to upgrade in the middle of the year to the H5D.

And now ask me my Hasselblad & Leica Rep.: why I not would buy the new Leica S... Hm, I like the brand, the design, the lenses etc. But, why buy today for so much money a Camera with "only" 37MP?

When you will have just one MF Camera (I have a full Nikon System D4 and lenses), and you start with zero, what would you buy???

I know, very individual, but some here have both systems...

Thanks, Rem

Professional

Well, i am not sure about that, but i have H4D-60 and ISO800 is very good enough, and i think it is same as ISO 800 on H4D-40/50, so if you really can live without iso 1600 then 50 or 60 will do the job fine, it is a big improvement over H3D models, i had before H3DII-39 and even at iso 200 i didn't like much, and iso400 was crap, but with H4D even at iso 800 i liked the result but i don't shoot much at that high iso with Hassy, i have Canon.

Chris Giles

Properly exposed ISO800 is fine rem.

I used to have a beef with handheld shooting in low light but tbh I've found a 100ms delay on the shutter means I can usually shoot the HC100 at 2.2 at 1/60 and get sharp results. Thanks especially with True Focus on the H4.

All of this work here was by Hasselblad, either the H3DII or the H4D50 - All handheld with the natural light stuff normally at ISO 200-400

I'm Jealous of Tareq and his full frame Dalsa sensor.

Professional

I agree, i did shoot my daughter with only natural light at high ISO and got decent result, so you can't go wrong with any H4D/H5D 50/60, they are improved with high ISO enough comparing to older models H1/2/3.

Chris, you feel jealous about my FF Dalsa sensor and i feel jealous for those here who are using Phase One [P+/IQ] and LEAF 60/80mp.

evgeny

Rem,

I also thought to upgrade my H4D-40 to an H5D, but later come to conclusion that I already have a great camera and set of lenses. Also don't move to other brands, you will miss True Focus.

I rarely go higher than ISO 100. I have a 3000W of studio light and 400W generator for outdoors. If I will need more mobile light, I will add Hensel Porty 1200W.

Recently I tried a 16 seconds exposure at ISO 100, no strobes fired, the scene is almost static. Next time I want to experiment with a model and mobile generator at night time.

Evgeny

rsmphoto

And now ask me my Hasselblad & Leica Rep.: why I not would buy the new Leica S... Hm, I like the brand, the design, the lenses etc. But, why buy today for so much money a Camera with "only" 37MP?
Yes, this is what I decided to do. As an additional backup body to my Hasselblad, I have an S2 that uses all my Hasselblad system lenses (HTS as well) and allows me to work at a higher ISO, in adverse weather & for handheld work when needed. Plus I'm partial to the color delivered by both the M9 and S2 a bit more than the Hasselblad. S2 is exceedingly easier to work with handheld.

rem

Thanks for your answers! Tareq, you think I should buy a Phase One? But I prefer more the Hassy Body:) Evgeny, I have the Hensel Porty 1200L :).

And, the 60MP have the Crop Factor with the HCD Lenses, so is not the 50 the best compromise?

I really like the handling with the H4D, more than with my Nikon D4. What for me in the moment also for the Leica S speaks is the perfect weather sealing, soft and silent shutter/mirror, maybe faster AF, faster aperture lenses, GPS built in, but no Zoom with Central Shutter...

And Evgeny, my TrueFocus, I think he never worked how promised (like the spirit level...:(.

Professional

Thanks for your answers! Tareq, you think I should buy a Phase One? But I prefer more the Hassy Body:) Evgeny, I have the Hensel Porty 1200L :).

And, the 60MP have the Crop Factor with the HCD Lenses, so is not the 50 the best compromise?

I really like the handling with the H4D, more than with my Nikon D4. What for me in the moment also for the Leica S speaks is the perfect weather sealing, soft and silent shutter/mirror, maybe faster AF, faster aperture lenses, GPS built in, but no Zoom with Central Shutter...

And Evgeny, my TrueFocus, I think he never worked how promised (like the spirit level...:(.
You welcome!

Me too prefer Hasselblad body handle, but digital back is another story.

Well, i am not sure about it also, but the crop factor can be adjusted by the software, on Phocus i can remove the crop factor of shots taken by HCD 28mm.

You can't go wrong with 50 or 60, just you have to think wisely why you need to change your current camera.

Good luck!

rem

Tareq, I have to replace my camera, because my hole Hasselblad Gear (H4D40, 35-90, 80,120,28, HT etc. etc., Nikon, 2xMacBookPro) was stolen about 2 weeks ago.. So I have to start by zero...
rem

Professional

Tareq, I have to replace my camera, because my hole Hasselblad Gear (H4D40, 35-90, 80,120,28, HT etc. etc., Nikon, 2xMacBookPro) was stolen about 2 weeks ago.. So I have to start by zero...
rem
Oh, sorry to hear that, what a lose!!!

I hope you can get something better than what you had before, at least with the body, good luck in that!

evgeny

Rem, sorry to hear that.

The megapixels difference for print is small.
If money allows, I would buy the H5D-60, otherwise H5D-50.

Evgeny

rem

Thanks Tareq and Evgeny! The worst is, that all 6000 Pics from the 3.5 weeks travelling around on the Macbooks are lost. I postet a few in my Facebook Profile (Remo Eisner-Photographie). Thats all what IO have now.

I have now here a H4D50MS (200MP;-) to try and ordered a H4D50 with a 35-90mm Zoom. In the middle of the Year I make the update to the H5D50.

The first lens to the 35/90er will be the 100/2.2 or the 80/2.8 (any toughts?) and the the 24mm.

Have a nice evening!

remo

Bildifokus

Sorry to hear that your gear was stolen!

I would go for the HC 2,2/100. That lens can create magic! :thumbs:
If you also invest in the extension tube H13 and the converter H1,7x you have a versatile setup. But of course, if it's the right solution for you depends on your shooting style. :)

malmac

Remo

I think every photographer has that fear his gear may be stolen - the more expensive the gear the more the fear.

Would you be able to share the circumstances of the theft which migh assist others to avoid being exposed to a similar situation.

I am travelling to Europe this summer and debating which gear to bring - any information which may help me manage my risk would be appreciated.

Again I really feel for you and your loss.

Regards

Mal
Australia

Pemihan

Getting all your gear stolen is certainly a nightmare and even more so if all the images from ones traveling disappeared as well.
What I do about that, besides having the images on my laptop, is to make backup on two separate external hard drives and keep them separate and separated from my gear.

Regarding theft of the gear, well I just try to use common sense and since most of my travels are in desolate desert areas anyway, I'm not that nervous.

And Rem, I really feel for you...

Peter

Remo

I think every photographer has that fear his gear may be stolen - the more expensive the gear the more the fear.

Would you be able to share the circumstances of the theft which migh assist others to avoid being exposed to a similar situation.

I am travelling to Europe this summer and debating which gear to bring - any information which may help me manage my risk would be appreciated.

Again I really feel for you and your loss.

Regards

Mal
Australia

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Rem - a shame about your gear. I cast a vote for the S. Measly 37 megs but very good form factor and handling (I've owned Hasselblads and have never really gotten comfortable with them handheld), weather sealing, choice of focal plane or in lens shutters (just coming on line), great viewfinder, remarkable glass and the ability to shoot HC glass to fill in the blanks (50??) in the Leica lens offerings. But if you're a long-time H shooter why change? It's really about the glass and the Fuji glass is really, really good.

rem

Mikael, I ordered now the 100/2.2 and will try the converter. Good Idea, thanks! Then I will wait for the magic! ;-)

rem

Thanks Peter, and yes, that is something what I learned! Separate some pieces. especially the Pics!

rem

Thanks Woody! You do not have more your H4D60 and the Alpa? Its always a pleasure to se your pics! I ordered now the H4D50 because I really like the handling. My Hasselblad/Leica Rep. asked me why not change to Leica, because I start at zero. And yes, the Leica seems to have really some benefits, for me especially the weather sealing and maybe the softer shutter/mirror... So, I think I will happy again with the Hassy. The files are looking really great!. Rem