The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Schneider 35XL? Price?

I have been trying to sell my 35XL for a while now. From what I've seen others sell for it seems to go for around 4k. However, I've lowered mine several times, to now a price of 3650 with center filter and it still doesn't sell. Are people not interested in this lens anymore?

stephengilbert

What mount: is it ALPA, Cambo, Arca?

I suspect that the recent discussions about the lens not working well with 80MP backs might have had an impact on demand.

kdphotography

Unless you're with an 80MP MFDB, the Schneider 35XL is still a good lens.

Maybe the lack of interest in your 35XL is because everyone is scrambling for Don Libby's 35XL autographed version....

:ROTFL:

Don Libby

Ken, thanks for the plug however I vacillated posting mine until after "Shortpballer" sold his.

Don

malmac

I am following the 35xl discussion with interest as like Don, I am thinking of selling my 35xl and buying a 40HR.

At the Melbourne Phase One dealer they have a secondhand 35xl (Cambo mount) for sale - price $2900 Aus. The lens has been for sale for some months without being sold so in Australia at least it seems this lens is not in high demand.

I would be happy to sell my 35xl for $2900 Aus if I could find a buyer.

Added as extra information on the matter.

Mal
Australia

Cambo and Alpa mount are completely different prices normally. Hopefully it sells soon! If anyone wants it today, I will let her go for 3550 plus shipping with center filter. Only if it comes from someone in the MFDB section :)

torger

I'm surely very interested in a SK 35XL lens, I use an older digital back (no color cast issues like on the IQ180) and need the focal length...

I'm interested in most Schneider Digitar lenses actually (those I don't already have that is), these are very attractive for us amateurs using a bit older equipment.

However, as a view camera user I'm not interested in paying in the overhead of a helicon lens mount, which in the case of Alpa, Arca-Swiss and even Cambo is significant.

I guess it is not really possible to sell lens and mount separately? It would be infinitely hard to sell only a lens mount without a lens I suppose :)

The SK35 is also not my top priority lens, I have investigated the performance thoroughly with the help of this forum, and the effective image circle for those of us that have high expectation on pixel-peep corner sharpness seems to be about 75mm rather than 90 due to its field curvature. It's a better alternative than the 35mm Digaron-S which is hard-limited to 70mm, but 75mm high quality image circle is a bit less than I'd like anyway. So I was hoping that Schneider would introduce something like a super digitar 35mm, something that has more correction for field curvature while not being as extreme as the Rodenstock 32mm, but I guess that is not too likely. So if I see a suitable deal of a SK35XL I'd buy it.

tashley

Subscriber Member
I will know in a day or two if I am offering mine for sale again, on Cambo mount, and it won't be very expensive and we are both in Europe so no import/export taxes....

I'm surely very interested in a SK 35XL lens, I use an older digital back (no color cast issues like on the IQ180) and need the focal length...

I'm interested in most Schneider Digitar lenses actually (those I don't already have that is), these are very attractive for us amateurs using a bit older equipment.

However, as a view camera user I'm not interested in paying in the overhead of a helicon lens mount, which in the case of Alpa, Arca-Swiss and even Cambo is significant.

I guess it is not really possible to sell lens and mount separately? It would be infinitely hard to sell only a lens mount without a lens I suppose :)

The SK35 is also not my top priority lens, I have investigated the performance thoroughly with the help of this forum, and the effective image circle for those of us that have high expectation on pixel-peep corner sharpness seems to be about 75mm rather than 90 due to its field curvature. It's a better alternative than the 35mm Digaron-S which is hard-limited to 70mm, but 75mm high quality image circle is a bit less than I'd like anyway. So I was hoping that Schneider would introduce something like a super digitar 35mm, something that has more correction for field curvature while not being as extreme as the Rodenstock 32mm, but I guess that is not too likely. So if I see a suitable deal of a SK35XL I'd buy it.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Reading the threads you'd begin to believe that the 35 XL Apo-Digitar is a pebble. It is anything BUT! Unless you're using the IQ180 or other 80mp digital back this lens is an absolute gem. Sharp. Movements. A very high quality lens with great sharpness and acuity.

And no, I'm not trying to sell mine :thumbup: :)

Don Libby

Once again I'm in agreement with Graham; the 35XL is tack sharp so long as you keep it away from an 80 megapixel back.

So, we have 2-of these available one Alpa the other Cambo and maybe yet another Cambo from Tim. Decisions....

jagsiva

Once again I'm in agreement with Graham; the 35XL is tack sharp so long as you keep it away from an 80 megapixel back.

So, we have 2-of these available one Alpa the other Cambo and maybe yet another Cambo from Tim. Decisions....
I may be throwing in an Arca one in the mix, so we can have all bases covered :)

kdphotography

And no, I'm not trying to sell mine :thumbup: :)
Stated confidently like a true born in the wool gear slut. :ROTFL:

Deep down inside everyone here secretly admires those who can subscribe to a buy-and-hold policy more often than not, particularly in this area of Dante's inferno.

Once again, I look forward to show-and-tell at CI in Carmel! :D

ken

darr

Maybe the Schneider/ALPA Apo-Switar 5.6/36 mm XL, LB is replacing the popularity of the 35mm?

jagsiva

Stated confidently like a true born in the wool gear slut. :ROTFL:

Deep down inside everyone here secretly admires those who can subscribe to a buy-and-hold policy more often than not, particularly in this area of Dante's inferno.

ken
Well, I find it far cheaper, easier and more legal to swap out lenses and cars than children and spouses. My wife has never disagreed with me on this:)

FSOT

I really like the stellar performance of my SK Apo Digitar 35mm XL in YinYanCAM mount. I like to sell mine for $1500 but no taker yet. If I find a buyer for mine I would buy the ALPA version since it was hand selected. Despite my version was the unchoosen one but it is still sharper than any of my SLR wide angle lens. The point I am trying to say is that this is a good lens and you should not sell it. Wait I am contradicting myself. Never mind sell yours in ALPA mount so I can buy it. But I already have one why should I buy another one? Backup copy?

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I really like the stellar performance of my SK Apo Digitar 35mm XL in YinYanCAM mount. I like to sell mine for $1500 but no taker yet. If I find a buyer for mine I would buy the ALPA version since it was hand selected.
For reference Arca, Cambo, and Alpa all do testing of every lens they receive from Rodenstock and Schneider and return any that do not meet their expectations. So saying that Alpa hand selects theirs in a way that seemingly implies they are unique in scrutinizing the lenses they receive is, I feel, a diservice to Arca and Cambo.

As anyone with a Cambo or Arca with a 35XL can attest it is a great lens regardless of what platform you choose for it or how it's branded.

FSOT

For reference Arca, Cambo, and Alpa all do testing of every lens they receive from Rodenstock and Schneider and return any that do not meet their expectations. So saying that Alpa hand selects theirs in a way that seemingly implies they are unique in scrutinizing the lenses they receive is, I feel, a diservice to Arca and Cambo.

As anyone with a Cambo or Arca with a 35XL can attest it is a great lens regardless of what platform you choose for it or how it's branded.
I never like to pour salt onto nerve endings, so I never accused any company for not doing their homework. I am extremely happy (for the users) to know that Cambo and Arca Swiss also hand select their lens as we all know not all lens are made equal. I only use ALPA and thus can only attest to their quality and work flow. To be honest even if Cambo, Arca Swiss and ZinZanCam get better results than the ALPA, I still be using my ALPA SWA + SK 35 because I feel that it works best FOR ME.

If Cambo, Arca Swiss and ALPa all hand select their lens then the question is who gets to select first or they all jump in at the same time?

FSOT

I never like to pour salt onto nerve endings, so I never accused any company for not doing their homework. I am extremely happy (for the users) to know that Cambo and Arca Swiss also hand select their lens as we all know not all lens are made equal. I only use ALPA and thus can only attest to their quality and work flow. To be honest even if Cambo, Arca Swiss and ZinZanCam get better results than the ALPA, I still be using my ALPA SWA + SK 35 because I feel that it works best FOR ME.

If Cambo, Arca Swiss and ALPA all hand select their lens then the question is who gets to select first or they all jump in at the same time?