The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Arca-Swiss Factum Query

MILESF

I've bought the Factum with 23mm and 32mm Rodenstocks and 60mm and 120mm Schneiders. So far so great but I'm struggling with one thing and wonder if anyone knows the solution.

It is different from the Rm3Di in that you have to rotate it 90 degrees in order to get sideways shift. As shipped it has tilt and rise /fall only.

Relocating the viewfinder bracket is simple. It simply unclips via the knurled knob and slots into the identical fitting on the camera frame on the "new", right side (if looking from behind the camera).

What I can't figure out is whether the tripod bracket can similarly be relocated to its "new" side. This seems to have a different fitting which looks like it is where the e-module is designed to attach.

In summary, if I want to rotate the camera to get lateral shift, I can see how to relocate the viewfinder but not how to attach it to a tripod whether using the existing one or getting another one.

Hope that's clear. Thanks for any help.

Miles Flint

jagsiva

Congrats!

I recently got a very similar kit to yours.

I am not sure I understand your question. But here goes, and I a have attached a pic for reference.

1. You need the L-bracket for rotation. The tripod mount can be removed, but I don't believe it can be attached to the other side.
2. The camera as show here will rise/fall 15mm and +/- 5mm tilt.
3. If you rotate the camera counter-clockwise and mount in the second tripod mount, you will now have 15mm L/R shift and +/- 5mm swing
4. In this lateral (L/R shift) position, you need tilt rather than swing, then the lens module can be rotated 90 degrees within the frame. This now gives you the Shift orientation of the camera with Tilt.
5. Non of the R-line cameras offer Tilt and Swing.

OT - I am still awaiting my 120SK, but did you get the new ASPH version of the lens? How are you liking it?

MB100

I believe that Jagsiva answered your question. But if you want a video that may explain it for you as well, I would direct you to my Report from PDN Photoplus 2012 and my video interview with Arca-Swiss:

PDN PhotoPlus Expo Report 2012: Arca Swiss Factum and E-Module - YouTube

The first half of the video discusses the e-module and you may want to skip that if you have no interest in it. The second half of the video introduces the (then new) factum and discusses the different ways in which you can use it (in reference to movements etc)

hope this may help, thats why I do it :)

MILESF

Hi Jagsiva and MB100,

Thanks for your replies. I'm still waiting for the L Bracket so will wait until I get that to see how it works out. The unanswered question in my mind is where one can put the viewfinder when the camera is rotated 90 degrees anti-clockwise - perhaps I'm being dumb to assume that it should go on what becomes the top of the camera when rotated i.e. where the e-module attaches.

I haven't got the 120mm lens yet. When the order was delivered to my dealer it came with the 150mm lens. I'm not clear what happened but am told the 120mm should be available soon. So I've been using mostly the 32mm Rodenstock and the 60mm Schneider. Initial impressions of the 32mm bear out everything I read on the site about it though the weather in the UK has been so awful that there has been nor risk of flare yet. Initial impressions of the Schneider are excellent too.

Thanks again.

MB100

Without being able to offer a definitive answer, I would have to assume that this is how the camera would work, i.e being able to move the different attachments around like on similar cameras.

PDN PhotoPlus 2012: Arca-Swiss Factum Frame | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Unfortunately, I don't have an image of the top, but wouldn't you be able to put the viewfinder shoe in there? again, I'm operating outside of things I definitively know here....

jagsiva

Hi Jagsiva and MB100,

Thanks for your replies. I'm still waiting for the L Bracket so will wait until I get that to see how it works out. The unanswered question in my mind is where one can put the viewfinder when the camera is rotated 90 degrees anti-clockwise -
Thanks again.
The VF bracket uses a small latched connector. This connector is available on the top and side, so you'd just move it over. So with the VF in it's alternative location, the e-module cloud would go in the top VF socket.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Jag

cyron123

I have seen the arca factum has rise/fall 15mm. But not with a gear. Is there a problem with self locking (if you use a heavy digital back)?
cyron

miska

I have not had any problems with the self locking mechanism. I use an IQ160 back, and have used the Factum mostly in the Rise/Fall orientation. I have not seen any slippage, the self locking system has been very reliable (but my Factum is quite new). Actually, you have to apply a bit of force to move the rise/fall position, but it's not a problem, it feels very sturdy and well made.
I actually prefer this to the geared system, it's faster (no need to turn the knobs) and still very accurate to get zero position.
Hope this helps.

AreBee

miska,

...you have to apply a bit of force to move the rise/fall position, but it's not a problem, it feels very sturdy and well made. I actually prefer this to the geared system, it's faster (no need to turn the knobs) and still very accurate to get zero position.
Is there a detent at the zero position?

MILESF

I have seen the arca factum has rise/fall 15mm. But not with a gear. Is there a problem with self locking (if you use a heavy digital back)?
cyron
The only problem I had was with the SK120mm lens. This has a spacer between the camera and the back and there was a tendency for the spacer/back combination to 'fall' sometimes. The camera went back to Arca who adjusted it and it has been fine since then. I had no such problem with the 23mm or 32mm Rodenstocks so I think it was the extra leverage created by the spacer.

miska,

Is there a detent at the zero position?
Yes, there is a detent at the zero position. I now try always to remember to check that it is in the right position but that's just one more thing to bear in mind with a technical camera.

Last edited:

miska

If you are worried about the back "slipping" from the zero rise/fall position due to gravity, you could rotate the body by 90 degrees (with the L-bracket), and have the camera in Left/Right shift position. That way, gravity cannot play tricks.
Of course, that way you cannot have rise and fall, so it depends how you use the camera...
I have found the detent at zero very reliable, but have only the 50mm Rodie.

cyron123

Hi miska, this is a very good idea. If I need tilt I will rotate the front element too.
My main worry about fall/rise is with the use of a sliding back. There is more weight on the back system. But with rotation there should be no problem. Thank you.

Cyron

Cyron
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cyron123

Hi @ all:
With the rotation of the factum with 90 degr. The groundglass is vertical. Could is rotate the groundglass -90 degr to have landscape oriantation?

Could I rotate the front element in any 90 degr. to change it from tilt to swing. Independent from the back frame?
Thank you.

Cyron

MILESF

Hi @ all:
With the rotation of the factum with 90 degr. The groundglass is vertical. Could is rotate the groundglass -90 degr to have landscape oriantation?

Could I rotate the front element in any 90 degr. to change it from tilt to swing. Independent from the back frame?
Thank you.

Cyron

Cyron,

I think you may be worrying too much about the rise/fall slipping downwards. Provided it is correctly adjusted this is not at all a problem. But it does need to be checked as part of your workflow (as also of course the tilt/focus/aperture/shutter speed/shutter cocked ?). It's easy to forget the settings used for the last shot and (at least in my experience) it is often user error rather than any fault in the camera that is the problem.

Arca-Swiss also make a Rotamount which gives the option to rotate the back by 90 degrees without the need to adjust anything else. It fits between the camera and the back. I find this very useful for switching between landscape and portrait modes.

Having had mine for a year now I believe this camera offers many choices which each user can adapt to his/her preferences but it works better when I slow down and really think through what I am seeking to do. This was one of the reasons for me to buy it. It is all too easy NOT to do this when using more "Program/Autofocus/Auto ISO" type cameras.

I feel I am making better images as a result.