The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Advice needed - Tripod for AFDII+P30

joao henriques

Currently have an AFDII+P30+pair of lenses on a Manfrotto 055PROB tripod with a manfrotto head also. After a few months of use the knobs already have problems of tightness, so i'm in need of different and more responsive gear.

what's yous advice, manily focusing the points fo tripod without center column.

my budget. 1000 eur/1200usd tripod+head

thanks in advance

Shashin

I use a Manfrotto Carbone One three section tripod with short center column and Arca Swiss P0 ball head with my Pentax 645D and focal lengths up to 300mm. I have had the tripod for about ten years and the head for about two.

All my Manfrotto tripods came with a small tool that snapped onto the leg with which I could tighten the locks.

joao henriques

I use a Manfrotto Carbone One three section tripod with short center column and Arca Swiss P0 ball head with my Pentax 645D and focal lengths up to 300mm. I have had the tripod for about ten years and the head for about two.

All my Manfrotto tripods came with a small tool that snapped onto the leg with which I could tighten the locks.
thks Sashin.

weinlamm

Which head do you use? I think, this should be the problem. I'm using some Gitzos and a 055Pro - but with a 468-head (changed to Arca).
The Gitzos make more fun, because the are lighter - but the Manfrotto works, too. Never had problems.

gazwas

You don't mention in your question which head you are using but in my experience the only Manfrotto head I've ever used that I think any good in the geared 405. Every other Manfrotto head I've used (405 is not perfect) has needed very regular servicing to keep it all locking nice and tight. Its funny, usually as stuff gets worn and in need of servicing, it get all tight and stiff. However, with tripod heads its the opposite and it gets all loose and won't tighten up easily????

IMO, the Manfrotto 055XPRO is the best value tripod money can buy! You will need to spend considerably more to get a better set of legs. If looking at tripods of a similar size, unless you are after a particular feature like smaller folded size or removable column its hard to recommend any over the 055.

I have an 055XPRO and the Gitzo GT3542LS. Both pretty similar heights and weights (actually 400g more for the 055) and I would find it hard to justify the price difference (UK) of £150 for the 055 and £650 for the Gitzo based on basic camera support only. Sure the Gitzo is much smaller folder, is carbon and 400g less weight (but feels the same as the 055), has better leg locks, built in spiked feet and has a higher load capacity but £500 difference? :eek:

Where the Gitzo and in particular the Systematic range shines and make it all worth the money you pay for them is the removable column. Its a true system with one set of tripod legs that can do many, many things and why I LOVE mine. Columns both rapid and geared, levelling bases, video head half bowls, lateral arms etc, etc, etc. I'm always swapping and changing mine about for different jobs and currently as I type this I have a Systematic tripod (Series 5) with a G535 lateral arm shooting some objects overhead next to me.

Sorry to waffle on but my recommendation would be to look at really nice heads first (Arca Swiss?) with your current 055 legs because this might change your mind about needing better legs?

Ben Rubinstein

I had the 055 when I was shooting with a Mamiya 645 Super and film. It wasn't enough I'm afraid. Noticeable even with a 6X loupe. I can only imagine what it's like with digital. I went up to the carbon fibre version of the 055 but ended up with a Gitzo 2542 for my DSLR work. I would imagine it to be marginal for MFDB's though to be honest. I'd go for a a 3 series gitzo though they say the RRS tripods are ones to watch at the moment.

That's before you get into the heads. This ain't a cheap business but if you are savvy it's a one time expense/knock which will last the life of many a camera and lens over the years.

joao henriques

Should have said in the first place: head is a Manfrotto 460MG.

thanks all for your replies & help. i'm definitely changing heads. as to the tripod i'm yet to define if i'll use center column or without.

joao henriques

You don't mention in your question which head you are using but in my experience the only Manfrotto head I've ever used that I think any good in the geared 405. Every other Manfrotto head I've used (405 is not perfect) has needed very regular servicing to keep it all locking nice and tight. Its funny, usually as stuff gets worn and in need of servicing, it get all tight and stiff. However, with tripod heads its the opposite and it gets all loose and won't tighten up easily????

IMO, the Manfrotto 055XPRO is the best value tripod money can buy! You will need to spend considerably more to get a better set of legs. If looking at tripods of a similar size, unless you are after a particular feature like smaller folded size or removable column its hard to recommend any over the 055.

I have an 055XPRO and the Gitzo GT3542LS. Both pretty similar heights and weights (actually 400g more for the 055) and I would find it hard to justify the price difference (UK) of £150 for the 055 and £650 for the Gitzo based on basic camera support only. Sure the Gitzo is much smaller folder, is carbon and 400g less weight (but feels the same as the 055), has better leg locks, built in spiked feet and has a higher load capacity but £500 difference? :eek:

Where the Gitzo and in particular the Systematic range shines and make it all worth the money you pay for them is the removable column. Its a true system with one set of tripod legs that can do many, many things and why I LOVE mine. Columns both rapid and geared, levelling bases, video head half bowls, lateral arms etc, etc, etc. I'm always swapping and changing mine about for different jobs and currently as I type this I have a Systematic tripod (Series 5) with a G535 lateral arm shooting some objects overhead next to me.

Sorry to waffle on but my recommendation would be to look at really nice heads first (Arca Swiss?) with your current 055 legs because this might change your mind about needing better legs?
very useful answer. thank u. i statrted looking at those arca swiss ballheads sashin mentioned on his reply.

weinlamm

Should have said in the first place: head is a Manfrotto 460MG.

thanks all for your replies & help. i'm definitely changing heads. as to the tripod i'm yet to define if i'll use center column or without.
I think, the first problem is your head - it only supports 3 kg. This is realy near on your wight - and the producers sometimes mean here 'the best'...
My 468MG, for example, is a wonderfull ballhead. 1/4 round and everything is enough fixed for taking photos.

And the second reason could be to use Mup; this helps very much. I love this in combination time triggered. Then you don't need a cable.

The best for you, I think, should be to think about the head first. Do you want a ballhead or geared head?
Ballhead with friction: 468MG. :thumbup:
Geared head: 405/410 should do a better job.

I have a big RRS, too. I love this - but mostly the 468MG is the better choice. Very fast, very simple.

Your budget should reach for this - and a rest should left. The 055 is quite good. ( I love it more changed without center column ). And you can use your rest-budget for anything other. ;)

Shashin

+1 with starting with the head. I like light, compact gear and the Arca Swiss P0 is a great choice and can take lots of weight.

Ben Rubinstein

I had the 468MG and liked it a lot. Until it exploded on me when I left my tripod out for 20 mins in the middle eastern sun. The hydraulics literally exploded. If you are not going to be working in temperatures where the sun will literally boil the fluid, you'll be good. It is a very nice head. I'm enjoying my RRS BH-40 a lot, I think the BH-55 would be incredible for medium format work. If you specifically want a technical head the Manfrotto 410 or 405 would be affordable choices.

joao henriques

if any of you gentleman knows anyone selling a 2nd hand arca swiss PO (even if it doen'st carry a mamiya adapter) i'd be much obliged.

as to the tripod, the 4552GTS (and a ladder...) might fit my bill, so i extend the request done at the last paragraph to this object.

all new, they are a bit out of what i wanted to spend although i can understand this is quite rare material on occasion.

thank you all for taking the time to answer my request.

gazwas

One piece of solid advice is don't skimp one one to afford the other, as you will only end up spending more long term. If you are set on the Gitzo and an Arca head buy once even if it means waiting until more funds are available.

Kit like you list above is pretty rare used as most people don't have anywhere to upgrade to so you might have to wait a long time. The legs especially as the 4552GTS has only been available for less than a year (June 2012 I think).