The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Double exposure on the Hasselblad CF39

mmbma

Has anyone done double exposures on the Hassey 39 digital backs? (I'm not talking about multi shot here)

I think I might have accidentally done it, where the image comes out to be nice doubles. Was that just a mistaken long exposure (doesn't look like it) or is there a function which allows me to take double exposures? Experts please.

THanks

DDudenbostel

I had a very interesting thing happen durin a studio product shoot a couple of years ago. I was using the back on my Technikatdan 23. I was shooting a setup and using tungsten mini spots and small white reflectors. I had the studio darkened and was running 20-40 second exposures. I decided to just leave the shutter open while tweaking my setup and was using an electronic release to wage the back up. I made an exposure that looked good and did a rearrangement of a couple of items. I mad another shot and discovered the imprint of the first ontop of the second image. It nearly freaked me out. I thought somehow I had burned the Image onto the CCD something like old CRT monitors would do. I did some experimentation and discovered the back needs a fraction of a second dark time after waking up prior to the actual exposure. It seems the back never truly goes to sleep and the dark time allows the electronics to sweep the previous information during the black time and after the actual wakeup with the release.

I hope this isn't too convoluted.

When I started using the shutter again I had no problems.

I also discovered one other possible problem on a view camera. For some reason when you use a sync cord to wake the back up opal shutters don't send the proper timed signal. Don't know why but have read an article by Arca to this effect. It's true from my experience that about 40% of the time the back doesn't wake up properly before the exposure and shadows get noisy. Now rather than use the shutter sync to wake the back I set the exposure time in the back to a couple of seconds and wake the back with an electronic reese and during the two seconds the back is active I fire the copal shutter in the lens. It works perfectly every time.

I've never experienced this with.compur or print or shutters. I've read only copal present this issue.

Douglas Fairbank

Yes you can take double exposures with the Imacon/Hasselblad backs by accident or design. Set the exposure time on the digital back to be long enough for you to recock the camera and take a second (or third etc) image.
Experiment with your camera, there are no rules to break, just discoveries to make.

Has anyone done double exposures on the Hassey 39 digital backs? (I'm not talking about multi shot here)

I think I might have accidentally done it, where the image comes out to be nice doubles. Was that just a mistaken long exposure (doesn't look like it) or is there a function which allows me to take double exposures? Experts please.

THanks

mmbma

That's awesome! elegant and simple. Thanks a lot
Yes you can take double exposures with the Imacon/Hasselblad backs by accident or design. Set the exposure time on the digital back to be long enough for you to recock the camera and take a second (or third etc) image.
Experiment with your camera, there are no rules to break, just discoveries to make.