The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IQ180 price vs Leaf Aptus II-12

felix5616

why is there such a big difference in prices for these 2 used 80MP backs? Is it features, image quality, construction?

Shashin

Features and, since they do not look the same, construction. The difference in image quality simply comes do to Phase and Leaf profiles.

gazwas

Technology..... IQ's are a much more desirable product so command a higher price, regardless of the CCD's being identical.

I had a play with an early Aptus12 (so firmware changes might have made a difference now) and I found them very slow in operation especially next to a very speedy P40/P65. The IQ backs are similarly very quick like the P backs.

Also the Aptus is regarded an older generation back now we have the Credo.

Last edited:
why is there such a big difference in prices for these 2 used 80MP backs? Is it features, image quality, construction?
If you use them side by side, the reason for the difference in price becomes clear. That said, by comparison the Aptus is a pretty nice deal if you don't need the features of a Credo or IQ. Considering that the Aptus II-12 is only a little more expensive than P65+, you really get a lot of pixels for the price.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
The only image quality differences are that the IQ has:
- availability of high ISO using sensor+ (up to ISO3200)
- the availability of ISO35 and 2 minute exposures
- different color renderings

Arguably you could call both of these "features".

Focus mask, auto horizon correction, two-way on screen digital level, fast bootup time, faster tethering, better raw file compression (smaller files without lose of quality), extremely durable chassis, no moving parts, availability of a 5 year warranty, and other details separate the two, as well as the more obvious (above mentioned) brighter, more detailed, faster LCD interface.

By the way, the Aptus II 12 has some unique advantages of it's own. Unlike the IQ the Aptus II series:
- allows the user to enter custom metadata like the lens length/aperture and notes
- is available in a Hy6/AFi mount
- is available in a V mount which allows internal rotation of the sensor from vertical to horizontal
- can apply a stored LCC in-camera

If absolutely all you care about is the final image quality then the Aptus II 12 is a steal when compared to the IQ180. I would strongly argue an IQ180 allows you to more quickly, more confidently, and more easily narrow in on the exact shot you want and confirm that all attributes of the image are as you want them (focus, composition, exposure, detail etc), which can make shooting more enjoyable and a more confident experience. That said, many many photographers shot (and still shoot) film with nothing more than a polaroid (often not even that), so these all of the features of both digital backs are very nice luxuries not dire necessitates.

jerryreed

To my way of thinking as a Hy6 user, the advent of the CREDO, was especially wonderful, as it made it possible for me to afford the Aptus II 12; that and the help of Steve Hendrix.

Stefan Steib

and not to forget some more advantages of the Leaf Aptus
It has a fan for cooling and you can use large batteries !
For me - the new Credo´s and IQ´s are a step backwards in that
connection, I always used a large SBL-320 on the Aptus 12 and even in cold weather it was lasting very , very long (over 500 shots ! We did timelapses with this ).

Regards
Stefan