The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Alpa Users: How do you cover your MFDB in the field?

rga

Wondering how you Alpa tech camera users keep your back's sensor covered out in the field.

Currently, after working a venue, I take the back off the Alpa mounting plate (I use an HV mount), put the back's cover over the sensor and back in the pack. I'm thinking about leaving the back mounted to the Alpa HV plate and putting an Alpa plastic cover over the non-sensor side of the mounting plate. I fear sometimes when I mount the MFDB in the field on the HV plate that it will slip and I'll really damage the sensor.

Thanks for your input,
Bob

PS- I break down the camera after each venue: no carrying on tripod allowed...

jotloob

Subscriber Member
I use a CFV-39 and CFV-50 each mounted on a shimmed ALPA adapter and put the ALPA plastic cover onto the non sensor side of the adapter .
I find this procedure much safer and handier than putting the HASSELBLAD cover directly onto the back .

danlindberg

I never remove the back from the Alpa adaptorplate. Usually I only move the back from one body to another, or change from horizontal to vertical position.

All my bags are choosen to hold a lens/body/back in place since I do not want to take it apart every time. For me this is important.

Those rare times when the back is apart I store it with Alpa adaptor and Alpa protection.

PeterL

Back plus adapter always mounted on Alpa camera also in the bag. In the bag it's stored with the 35XL lens mounted. If I need to change lens, I do that after the camera is mounted on the tripod. Quick and easy.

Cheers, -Peter

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I do exactly the same as Jurgen, Dan & Peter. The back is always mounted on the Alpa mount and/or body.

However, I will remove the Alpa cable release and sync cable if I will be hiking and risk placing any pressure on the bag. I NEVER leave the cable release mounted obviously.

I do carry my P25+ also along with the IQ160 - if it's mounted on the TC it stays there. If I'm just bringing the back alone then I leave it mounted to my 2nd back plate and use the Alpa plastic plate cover. If the body is in the bag without a back then I use the hard resin/platic Alpa back body plate in the body.

GrahamWelland

I fear sometimes when I mount the MFDB in the field on the HV plate that it will slip and I'll really damage the sensor.

Thanks for your input,
Bob
Btw, I am the poster child for exactly this case. This was caused by exactly such a slip and the hard prong on the back of the plate found the IR cover on my Aptus 65 a couple of years ago. Lesson learned quickly. :eek:

GrahamWelland

They made for a very interesting stained glass window mosaic filter and also wallet emptying effect since I bought my P40+ to replace it. :facesmack: (Btw, it lives on today with it's replacement IR glass)

In all seriousness though, keeping the Alpa base plate on the back is definitely the best way to go when just using the Alpa. I only remove the body from the plate when I either put the back on my DF or I need to clean the sensor with anything more than a bulb blower. The extra protection and distance of the sensor from harms way is useful with the Alpa adapter mounted.

rga

Thanks everyone. I am VERY glad I asked; my back is now on the plate with the Alpa resin cover.
Much appreciated,
Bob

Aviv1887

The $100 "old" covers were terrible since they bend out of shape with weather changes. This to the point that they would fit nice and loose on my DB. The "new" cheaper ones are finally fitting snug on the DB. Alpa as a courtesy and good service replaced all my old without a charge. Throughout a shooting day I'll take my DB off many times and the Alpa covers are by far the easiest and safest way to go.

GrahamWelland

The resin covers are definitely temperature sensitive. Sometimes they're easy to fit/remove and other times pretty rigid and tough to get off.

Maybe time to upgrade them ...

jotloob

Subscriber Member
The resin covers are definitely temperature sensitive. Sometimes they're easy to fit/remove and other times pretty rigid and tough to get off.

Maybe time to upgrade them ...
Because of that temperature sensitivity , I have replaced ALL covers with the new type . Initiated by the issue with the cover for the HR 4,5/28mm , which sometimes even fell off .
Some were replaced by ALPA for free and I got some additional ones .
No more problems since .

dchew

I carry the back mounted to the STC with the small plastic cover on the lens-side of the camera. I have in the past carried it with a lens mounted, but I seem to always be swapping lenses, so it didn't really save time. Another factor for me is that I use the sk150 quite a bit, and leaving that mounted on the camera would take up a lot of space.

Dave