The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad 24mm lens for Landscape Use

Hi,

I wonder if any on this forum has used the new Hasselblad 24mm lens for landscape work? I have the 35mm, which is very good as far as it goes, but sometimes it would be nice to have something wider.

Please let me know if you have some experience with the 24mm lens with landscape photography.

All the best.

Richard Naismith

algrove

Hi,

I wonder if any on this forum has used the new Hasselblad 24mm lens for landscape work? I have the 35mm, which is very good as far as it goes, but sometimes it would be nice to have something wider.

Please let me know if you have some experience with the 24mm lens with landscape photography.

All the best.

Richard Naismith
Did you try stitching? It's way cheaper than acquiring a new lens.

jecxz

I've been experimenting with the 24mm lens for a few weeks now, learning more about it's capabilities as time goes by. The lens is quite sharp (keep reading about the corners). As with other wide angle lenses, the corners appear stretched and the smaller the aperture (f16 - f20) the better they appear. Even better after applying a slight sharpening setting in Phocus.

With the HTS the 24mm is fantastic and offers a great perspective. DAC in Phocus appear to work well. As I mentioned above, I think smaller apertures will deliver crisper corners and I should mention that the two photographs that I posted above were both at f16.

To further demonstrate the lens, here is another photograph (my home while growing up in New York City). It's also at f16 but with no DAC applied in Phocus. Note the stretched length of the lower windows; the bricks hold up alright in the corners too (sharpness in Phocus was set to 425/19 and contrast was set to 8).

You asked about comparing the 24mm to the 28mm, however, I do not think of lenses that way; each lens has a purpose and I would not use a 28mm when my 35mm is called for (however the 28mm on my HTS is a common combination for me, yielding close to the 35mm lens perspective). Sorry.

Bottom line: this is a very good lens and I'm glad that I purchased it.

Kind regards,
Derek

mbn

Derek, thank you very much for posting these shots and your opinions about the lens!:thumbup:
In the last shot we can see all kinds of distortions, most obvious the heavy moustache all over the whole picture. Is phocus able to correct these distortions, and how are the results compared to the 28?

Regards,
Mike

jecxz

Derek, thank you very much for posting these shots and your opinions about the lens!:thumbup:
In the last shot we can see all kinds of distortions, most obvious the heavy moustache all over the whole picture. Is phocus able to correct these distortions, and how are the results compared to the 28?

Regards,
Mike
Hi Mike,

Good question and I think the best answer would be to post the same image with DAC (Phocus corrections) turned on for you to be the judge as the above photograph appears fine to me given it's a wide angle lens without corrections applied. I will do that later on today as I'm mobile right now.

Kind regards,
Derek

mbn

Would be great if you could find the time to post a corrected version!

Much appreciated!

Cheers,
Mike