The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

From Hasselblad to Leica S ... ?

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
I've moved to the S from H (with some other stuff along the way). For me it boils down to form factor. I've owned H's over the years starting with a 503c. They've always felt awkward in my hands. This is solely a matter of personal preference - a lot of serious photographers (I mean a lot) would see this the other way around. Do a rental and try it out.

RVB

The ability to use the HC glass on the S system with the Leica adaptor lightens the cost of switching over and also solves the macro 1:1 problem as you already have the HC120 macro,you can also use the tilt shift adaptor on the S.

Last edited:

dogstarnyc

Stan,

Don't do it, don't waste your time, Fotografz nails it by saying the H is faster and it is.

You do great work with what you have (and know your kit well).

I'd spend the money on hiring better models, going to better locations and hiring a stylist to push your work to the next level.

If you look at the very best fashion editorial Stan, it all comes together with great production, an S camera or a DF+ won't make your work better but top models, great styling and fresh locations will open people's eyes.

S

Quentin_Bargate

Perhaps a small point in regard to macro, but Hassy now has a macro converter that is optimised for use with the HC-50 II but which works with other lenses and which offers superior optical performance compared to extension tubes. I would suggest that this is indicative of the fact that the Hasselblad is the more complete solution.

fotografz

Stan,

Don't do it, don't waste your time, Fotografz nails it by saying the H is faster and it is.

You do great work with what you have (and know your kit well).

I'd spend the money on hiring better models, going to better locations and hiring a stylist to push your work to the next level.

If you look at the very best fashion editorial Stan, it all comes together with great production, an S camera or a DF+ won't make your work better but top models, great styling and fresh locations will open people's eyes.

S
Amen.

RVB

I can't be certain but the S feels like it has faster A.F than the S2,I think intended application is the key,the blad is better for studio and the S better for Field work and travel(and has the best glass),also the focal plane shutters open up more possibilities and another factor is that sometime's a change is as good as a rest and switching to the S might refresh your creativity.

The best way to decide is to use the S camera for a day or two and see how it feels in your hands,in the end they are both good system's

Paratom

I changed from the S2 to the S some weeks ago and I sometimes found the S would hunt a little bit more with AF than the S2 (in dull light).
A friend of mine also did the switch but does not think so.
Reading this thread I get the feeling my observation might be true.
While the S2 I found the C-AF not usable, I believe the C-AF of the S is clearly improved. At least on some occasions it work pretty good for a Medium format camera.

I cant comment on the Hassy since I come from the Hy6 with Sinar back.

For me - as a hobby photographer - the form factor of the Leica is a huge advantage. I often use the camera for casual shooting, I am not sue if I would do this with a Hassy.
The S with 2 lenses fits in a pretty small backpack.

fotografz

I changed from the S2 to the S some weeks ago and I sometimes found the S would hunt a little bit more with AF than the S2 (in dull light).
A friend of mine also did the switch but does not think so.
Reading this thread I get the feeling my observation might be true.
While the S2 I found the C-AF not usable, I believe the C-AF of the S is clearly improved. At least on some occasions it work pretty good for a Medium format camera.

I cant comment on the Hassy since I come from the Hy6 with Sinar back.

For me - as a hobby photographer - the form factor of the Leica is a huge advantage. I often use the camera for casual shooting, I am not sue if I would do this with a Hassy.
The S with 2 lenses fits in a pretty small backpack.
I'd agree to some extent. Those more familiar with DSLRs can easily take to the S2 form with very few adjustments.

However, the H camera isn't all that hard to take with, and when stored face down in a bag, it's pretty easy carry with a couple of lenses, as long as they aren't the monster zooms or 120 macro. I have mine set up with a hand-strap and elastic type shoulder strap, and walk about with it all the time.

For really compact carrying like when traveling, the H is modular and can be broken down to fit. I used to do that with my Contax 645, and do the same with the H.

-Marc

PeterA

If Hasselblad had 'true focus' when I made my decision - I would never had sold out of the system. I think the Hasselblad system is a fantastic - and shines especially in studio use with strobe or continuous lighting - providing what every MFD back needs- FAT light.

However I have no regrets switching to Leica S as a focal plane system which can also use leaf shutter lenses for higher sync speed -this camera platform is exactly what many Hasselblad users were begging Hasselblad to deliver years ago - the logic falling on deaf ears...

Workflow in tethered mode is a waste of time for me with Leica S - Hasselblad is better. I also think Phocus is a better raw processor than Lightroom - but Lightroom delivers a DAM capability which is hard to ignore for people who have need.

The lure of Leica for me - is the ergonomics of the body in hand held situations and the lenses - the ordinary old 70mm standard lens from Leica- is my 'benchmark' lens against which every other lenses made by anybody ( in ANY format) gets tested - superb is an understatement. The cost of buying into Leica lenses requires careful consideration.

All the best - the really is no bad decision to make here.

Stan ROX

Hey forum,

thanks to all for your opinions and ideas about this topic - and also for your kind words about my work.

First of all, I want to mention that a lot of you have the same feeling as me when it comes to form factor: The Hassey is not really a small nor portable cam, and transporting it to the locations is always something to manage carefully (not to mention the customs ...).

Apart from that, there has been also a lot of opinions about the change itself, the lack of the beloved TrueFocus (which was the main reason for my upgrade from the H3DII) compared with my Nikon - it's always a pain to move the AF-field for a new shot regardless how easy it handles).

And finally, there have been some ideas about the upgrade path - it's just one model available from Leica, whereas Hasseblad gives me the opportunity to upgrade to 60 MPix if necessesary.

So, after reading all your ideas and opinions, I will stick with my workhorse made from stainless steel. It delivers what I love and am crazy about - sharp images with beautiful skin tones and rich details, whereas for my more portable needs, my Nikon D600 serves very well.

As I had all my photos in review while doing my promotional video, even with extreme closeups and 100%-views on screen, I saw that there is really no reason to switch over to another system in terms of quality - it's about the form factor, and there's an answer to that as I own more than one camera.

I want to thank Steve Brickles for his opinion on models, MUA and locations - it's a very much appreciated impulse for my improvement of future work.

Stan ROX

dqv

Hi Stan, just keep shooting with the hassie indeed :) i looked at your work and i see no reason to switch to leica. you shoot mainly with strobes anyway. I think it can be even a downgrade for you and you will loose some money switching.

Personally i think the H4d-40 is the sweetspot in the hasselblad range. i used them all and i really like the h4d-40. I Shot with the 50 and 60 and in exciting light i didn't like them since the iso range above 200 the 40 is much better in this terrain.

A bigger sensor might be tempting but financially i think it's not worth it at this moment with hasselblad, because for the same price of the 60, you can get a iq series from phase. if i where you i would keep the money in the pocket.. go on vacation and buy some nice light or book some top models with the money this would benefit your work more.

Upgrade to next generation hasselblad.

Cheers from sunny amsterdam,
D

stngoldberg

Actually the true focus is supposedly improved on the HD5. I am still waiting for mine so I can not attest to any improvement, but if you have time, you may wish to demo the HD5
Stanley

RVB

Aspect ratio is one of the most significant difference's between the two system's,the S is 3:2 and the H 3:4... people will have their own preference's

EH21

I couldn't imagine changing from the H4 to to the S. There is so much more support for the H around the world. You have the better crop ratio, true focus, better tethered support, huge selection of lenses with DAC built into Phocus. Good color control.

What things about the H have you contemplating a change?

RVB

The S system is still developing and has outstanding glass,as well as very High build quality.. it's horse's for course's.. S is better for outdoor work and travel (GPS is a great asset for working on the road),I think the Blad has an advantage with it's proprietary raw converter Phocus ...

dqv

Hasselblad H5D-50 Hands-On Preview

Some good images of the H5D here..
still i would wait till the next generation. there is only new paint, processor and few minimal features. upgrading from a h4d-40 to a h5d-50 would still cost around 12,5K euro ex vat (here in holland). its not revolutionary enough to upgrade. at phase they did bigger jumps in technology from p+ to iq that is worth upgrading.

d

RVB

still i would wait till the next generation. there is only new paint, processor and few minimal features. upgrading from a h4d-40 to a h5d-50 would still cost around 12,5K euro ex vat (here in holland). its not revolutionary enough to upgrade. at phase they did bigger jumps in technology from p+ to iq that is worth upgrading.

d
I would only upgrade if I was moving up to a mulitshot which is something special,otherwise I would agree with you that it's best to wait for the next generation which is already in development (if the rumours are true..)

The lcd on the new H5 is much better but still not really offering enough for the extra money.. I would like to see a new sensor with 13stops DR and better high iso.

Stan ROX

Aspect ratio is one of the most significant difference's between the two system's,the S is 3:2 and the H 3:4... people will have their own preference's
In fact, loosing the 4:3 ratio is one of the major issues thats keeping me from the switch.

Everytime I use my Nikon, I get the feeling that there is not enough room for the picture. As I do my Beauty shootings almost in Landscape format, this is really a big thing for me.

S.