The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pentax 645D

TimWright

Thanks everyone for all the info. I will definitely be in touch with Pentax.

Let me clarify though. It is a fantastic camera and I would not hesitate to buy one. ergonomics is unmatched, image quality is excellent, I could go on and on. Just not happy with customer support. Early last summer my 110 macro jammed up and I had to send it in and it cost me 1k to be fixed. I lived with it as I may have caused the problem but this was a definite defect. I know it did go to Japan for repair and it took 3 months as apparently they "forgot" about it and it just sat there.

D&A

Tim...I assumed you read my post above....but since the time you posted your latest response, I added some additions to it (my post). Even the price you paid for your macro is ridiculous. You almost could have simply purchased another LN lens for that price. I'm not sure Pentax Japan or even Nikon Japan knows what these subsidiaries are doing to the good name of the parent company. Truly amazing!

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

Shashin

Tim...I assume you read my post above....but since you posted your latest repsponse, I added some additions to it (my post). Even the price you paid for your macro is rediculous. You almost could have simply purchased anotehr LN lens for that price. I'm not sure Pentax Japan or even Nikon Japan knows what these substideraries are doing to the good name of the parent company. Truly amazing!

Dave (D&A)
Dave, equating repair cost to secondhand prices is not really very useful. Pentax does need to pay for their repair staff--not minimum-wage earners. I would simply buy another lens, but that mean Pentax can do the repair work for less.

TimWright

I know it was high but at the time it would have been about $500 more for another lens and then I wouldn't be sure what I was getting so I paid as like I said I believe it was my fault that it needed repair. I also shoot Leica M and went through the IR issue. I actually didn't have a real problem with what I was shooting but sent it in. They handled everything including giving a huge discount off on a new lens shipped from Germany with all taxes duties etc paid and I had it back in 6 weeks. I sent an M9 in for calibration which was done for free and they sent me a new spare battery. Very professional.

Tim...I assume you read my post above....but since you posted your latest repsponse, I added some additions to it (my post). Even the price you paid for your macro is rediculous. You almost could have simply purchased anotehr LN lens for that price. I'm not sure Pentax Japan or even Nikon Japan knows what these substideraries are doing to the good name of the parent company. Truly amazing!

Dave (D&A)

tsjanik

Thanks everyone for all the info. I will definitely be in touch with Pentax.

Let me clarify though. It is a fantastic camera and I would not hesitate to buy one. ergonomics is unmatched, image quality is excellent, I could go on and on. Just not happy with customer support. Early last summer my 110 macro jammed up and I had to send it in and it cost me 1k to be fixed. I lived with it as I may have caused the problem but this was a definite defect. I know it did go to Japan for repair and it took 3 months as apparently they "forgot" about it and it just sat there.
Tim:

I am really surprised at this, I've had at least five lenses and a 645 body serviced by Pentax Canada and they always gave me a price before the repair was done. They weren't cheap, but they were reasonable; perhaps they too have changed. In the future, for lenses consider sending them to Eric Hendrickson in Tennessee in the US. He's a former Pentax repairperson and does a great job at a fair price.

Tom

D&A

Dave, equating repair cost to secondhand prices is not really very useful. Pentax does need to pay for their repair staff--not minimum-wage earners. I would simply buy another lens, but that mean Pentax can do the repair work for less.

Hi Shashin,

I can certainly identify and mostly agree with your assessment. I realize economic times have changed and many of these companies are fighting for survival and have to watch every penny that contributes to the bottom line. No issue with that and also that repairs (like with auto's) don't cost what they used to be. Tech's and those employed have to be paid more and so the companies have to charge more. Again no issue with that!

The issue I have though is gouging! Certain auto repair facilities (both the manufacturers as well as independent) engage in this practice and it appears some of the major camera manufacturers have been doing the same lately. When one is on the other side like Tim was, it takes on a whole different interpretation. What's fair is fair..but not when the consumer is taken advantage of in the name of the company using this approach in order to survive. Like the elderly couple that doesn't know any better about the cost of their car repair and are charged hundreds more than someone who knows is far more knowledgeable... so too have some camera manufacturers attempted the same principals. Interesting when a consumer speaks up and makes a legitimate case, they quickly back off...but what about those that don't know any better.

As for Leica, I've seen it go both ways...but like Pentax Japan, Nikon Japan and Leica in Solms...the home company always seems to be the most direct and honest in their approach. It's the independently owned subsidiaries where these fairly recent practices seem to now emanate from and the reports are coming in from various parts of the world. As you can see, I haven't thought highly of these practices and neither have many others.

I have a lot of respect for these company's products, their complexity and the amount of work that goes into making sure that reliability levels are kept high. Regardless of price, sometimes a part fails or a glitch develops, and this too can be expected to occasionally happen. Generally it's not the fault of an under-designed or inadequately tested product prior to market release. It's how these issues both in and out of warranty are handled that speaks volumes about the value these companies place on customer loyalty and repeat business.

I don't think it's the faulting economy alone that has a few of these highly successful companies now developing a less than stellar reputation for some of their recent consumer related practices and a profitable bottom line that's shrinking. I also believe the parent company doesn't quite know (or want to know), how their similarly named subsidiaries have been handling customer related issues recently. Can you imagine if Tim sent his 645D in for repair of the SD card rejection mechanism, while the camera was still under warranty, and it came back with a $1200.00 estimate for repair due to "impact damage"? That's the response many are receiving for their "in-warranty" products that develop issues through no fault of the end user....which when uncontested, often leads to exorbitant repair estimates for minor out of warranty repairs (for all consumers in general).

I would bet it someone walks through the door of Pentax Japan with a out of warranty 645D that had the same issue/problem as Tim's 645D...my guess would be the cost of repair might be in the neighborhood of $300-$400 (give or take), if that.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

BlinkingEye

I am interested in where to get the 645D for $6K as posted in the original post. In my area, when you see one they are close to the "new" body price.

larkis

Congratulations on the 645D, hopefully you enjoy it for a long time. I have used mine in a variety of places and so far is has always performed well. I have been stuck in a typhoon in Japan and a rainforest with it and it also survived. I would suggest being careful when changing lenses in high humidity though. The weather sealing can seal in humid air inside of the camera if you are not careful and cause problems. Same goes for the lenses.

On another note, does anyone here know if Pentax does maintenance service to their cameras if still under warranty ? I want the camera checked and the CCD cleaned before a trip to Antarctice with it. I'm not sure if this is something that other companies do.

D&A

Congratulations on the 645D, hopefully you enjoy it for a long time. I have used mine in a variety of places and so far is has always performed well. I have been stuck in a typhoon in Japan and a rainforest with it and it also survived. I would suggest being careful when changing lenses in high humidity though. The weather sealing can seal in humid air inside of the camera if you are not careful and cause problems. Same goes for the lenses.

On another note, does anyone here know if Pentax does maintenance service to their cameras if still under warranty ? I want the camera checked and the CCD cleaned before a trip to Antarctice with it. I'm not sure if this is something that other companies do.
Here in the States an independently contracted out service center now performs most all Pentax (35mm and 645 lens/camera) in and out of warranty service. They are called C.R.I.S. and are located in Arizona. They also are an offical service center for a variety of major brands. I've heard very mixed feedback on their performance....some very good, so OK, and some not so good...a mixed bag. My one phone call to them did not instill a lot of confidence.

Not sure if Pentax Camera in Canada are still doing their own repair on premise but I think they are. From some Canadian forum members here and elsewhere, recently like in the States, there has been a remarkbale change to Pentax USA, Canada and elsewhere in their handling of service and it hasn't been all good.....not in the slighest. Economy, donsizing, cost cutting measures and farming out to indendent service centers has all contributed to a less than ideal situation.

Prior to all this, Pentax USA used to be exceptional both for the consumer and for Pro's who relied on their impecable handling of most situations. I can testify to that and also with my relationship with them for many years.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

mmbma

Can Pentax 645D users please post some photos? let's start a thread here. I'd love to see some shots before I consider the system. THank you!

Ed Hurst

All of the pictures I have posted in the "Fun with MF Images" thread were shot on my 645D. Rather than re-post here, I'll simply point you in that direction - or you can see many more of them at my Flickr page (Flickr: eduardotunnel4's Photostream - I suggest using the Sets links on the right of the page)

WildRover

Can Pentax 645D users please post some photos? let's start a thread here. I'd love to see some shots before I consider the system. THank you!

I've been slowly getting some of my captures in a more finished form. Just about everything I do with the 645D is on a tripod. I did try a shoot for a friend that needed to be hand held and I was somewhat lost with my handling techniques. More of a lack of skill with that type of shooting than anything. That said, for the landscapes that I do, I think the 645D is a great camera. I've got some of my shots at 500px / Richard Longseth / Photos if you want to take a look. Probably hard to judge since the photos are low res jpg's. So my 2 cents worth, for landscapes, you can't go wrong.

larkis

I have a lot of 645D images on my blog and if you look at some of my posts on this site you can find them as well. I don't want to re post twice.

I really enjoy the camera and think it's one of the best currently shipping Pentax products. To bad their marketing guys don't seem to know what they are doing.

Some Pentax 645D images here

bensonga

Can't believe I started this thread in February...and I still don't own a 645D.

That may soon change. With the latest drop in price (Can you believe it? $7k for a NEW 645D!?!), the pressure is building. Is it time to put up or shut up? I think so.

I've finally come to the conclusion that if I'm going to get a 645D, I will, reluctantly, have to part with some of my other gear to justify (to my wife, and myself) the purchase of another expensive camera. I know...for some of you, $7k is not "expensive". I wish I was in your shoes.

My wife has agreed on these terms...if I sell or trade-in gear worth half the price of a new 645D, then I have her "seal of approval" (that makes EVERYTHING so much easier).

With that in mind, on the possible chopping block...all (or almost all) of my m43rds gear (specifically, the GH2 & OMD and most of the lenses...Pana 12-35, 100-300, Pana-Leica 25 & 45 macro etc).

Also, dare I say it, my Nikon D800e. Crazy? Perhaps. Have I used it? Basically...no. Less than 100 clicks on my D800e. My favorite Nikon is still the D700...by a very wide margin.

Why the 645D? I'm really anxious to use the extensive collection of P67 and P645 lenses I've accumulated over 25+ years on it.

Promised myself (and my wife): I'll make a decision, one way or the other, this week.

So there you have it: It's now time for me to put up or shut up.

Gary

bensonga

Parting with most of my m43rds kit will be surprisingly easy.

Parting with the D800e...that is tougher than I thought it would be.

Gary

Ed Hurst

Gary, having used both the 645D and the D800E, I think you will probably be quite content with shifting from the latter to the former. But it depends on your style. The 645D definitely provides better quality results when you have time to set up, if you don't want 'rapid fire' and if you are not primarily doing very high ISO stuff (the 645D is surprisingly good at high ISOs, but not as good as the D800E). I don't know the full range of your work exactly, but from what I have seen of it, you appear to do landscape work that can be set up with care and shot from a tripod. For this, as long as you have nice glass (happy to share views on that), you will not regret getting the 645D.

bensonga

Thanks for your thoughts on this Ed..I really appreciate them. I think my shooting style and the things I take photos of, more often than not, are very similar to your own (although my images aren't as interesting).

I rarely shoot at more than ISO 200. i also don't shoot "rapid fire" very often (mostly for the Iditarod and Fur Rondy dog sled races). For those, I have the D700, D2x or various Canon DSLRs.

Re the D800e...I need to remember that life is all about choices, even when I hate to make them. In this case, if I want the 645D, I will have to make some tough choices. If not the D800e, it will be several Canons, Hasselblads or Leicas. Something will have to go, besides just the micro 4/3rds kit...and the D800e would fill a big part of the hole.