The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pentax 645D

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Gary if it was me the 645 as your primary knock me over file and hold on to you M stuff for travel and such and dump everything else. You have no pressure to produce anything for anyone but yourself. Trust me you don't know how freeing that is. I don't have Guy choices but client ones. Shoot what turns your jets on.

My choices if I truly had them a tech cam with a back and a Leica M kit. My second choice would be a S system. See how far down my list is on what I shoot and what I prefer. For non client work shoot what gives you the desire to go out the door with and what is comfortable and freeing in your hand.

Seriously this is the best advice I can give as a working Pro to the hobbyist. Enjoy this don't feel stuck in any system. They all produce images, it comes from you not the the metal and glass.

bensonga

Thanks Guy. Very glad I don't have the pressure to produce that a working pro faces every day...I would be a miserable failure as a photographer, if that were the case. My life is relatively easy in comparison...I count the bbls of oil produced from Prudhoe Bay, then go home and enjoy making prints. Even if no one else ever sees them, I'm a happy man. The truth is, whether I'm shooting these pics with a 645D, a D800e or even my wonderful 8 megapixel Canon 1D Mark II....I'm a very lucky guy.

I gotta keep that in mind.

But I'm also thinking about all my Pentax 67 and 645 lenses which could be put to good use on a 645D. :D

Gary

Guy Mancuso

That's one nice thing about the Pentax they have a ton older lenss to play with. But you will be challenged like others have said to find good working copies. But that's the fun part. LOL

Okay warning that last comment was from a lens whore. LOL

bensonga

I'll just have to go with the lenses I already own. I don't have the patience or luxury of buying multiple copies and picking the best ones in the bunch.

That being said...my eyes aren't as discerning as some other folks here, so it's easier for me to find "good copies". :eek:

Gary

D&A

Gary, it's hard not to repeat what many have expressed to you in recent posts. Somewhat knowing the subject matter you shoot, the 645D I believe will be ideal and provide you with great pleasure both in it's use and the resulting quality of it's output. Yes, some of your older glass will be very good while others might fall short of your expectation regarding their performance on the 645D...but you'll quickly sort through it all and sort of come up with your 645D "kit" of body and lenses.

Like Guy, what I need to shoot with for clients most times is quite different what I would pick for my own pleasure. Setting aside the similar resolution of the D800e and 645D, when I think of both in their actually use and also the look of the image (with both bodies and associated lenses), I often feel at times, they are as different as can be. I think of the D800/e as being a very efficient machine to get things done in a very competent and efficient way, with excellent output when needed, as long as high performing optics is used. Often times the files are simply razor sharp and detail for sensor size is quite amazing

I view the 645D and it's system of lenses and eventual output as being more artistic in nature. It has a roundness and pleasant nature to it's images. Colors are pronounced without being overbearing and rarely if ever are the resulting files clinical in nature. Big bold subjects like planes, trains etc. photograph exceptionally well with the 645D as does landscapes. There's plenty of detail in the files, but there is also that something else, that makes them feel more organic, as opposed to some of the higher end high MP 35mm DSLR's.

As you well know from being a medium format shooter, the 645D will require the same sort of careful set-up as your film based MF, maybe more so, but it's a fun camera to work with. The lens selection and performance is the key with the 6545D body, in my opinion....maybe more so than many other systems I've used.

You got great advice from Ed, Guy, Tim and many others here and I echo their sediments.

Lastly I'll leave you with a thought. I too often have to let gear go in order to obtain some other much needed lens or body. I find that hard but when it's not for photo work but myself, hold onto those things which provide the most joy when shooting not the ones that may be high performance but don't provide the "rush" you feel when in use. The ones that don't provide the same high level of joy are the ones that won't be missed after a time.

If you go for the 645D...then look forward to a lot of fun!

Dave (D&A)

D&A

Gary, Guy, Ed, Tom and others have provided some great advice. I have little dount knowing some of the things you shoot, how much you're going to enjoy shooting with the 645D. Although the D800/e and 645D have similar sized output, the look of their images couldn't be more different in my opinion, especially with many of the lenses available for both.

The D800/e is sharp, efficient and with the best quality lenses provides a file rich in detail and good color. It gets the job done and done well.

The 645D and it's associated output feels more organic in nature....more film like. It's images often time (probably due to the nature of some of the lenses) has a roundness and gentleness, that although provide a high level of detail, is never clinical in nature. It's RAW's at first glance are quite soft and need both a fairly substantial amount of sharpening...both for a qualitative and quantitative viewpoint. Color often times is bold and I feel it's CCD Sensor has a lot to do with it's attractive output.

I also believe after a brief time in trying out all your large array of MF lenses, you'll quickly recognize which ones are suitable for use on the 645D and which aren't. That's the key in my opinion in getting the best output and most joy from the 645D.

I completely agree with Guy. What I select for use with clients is a far cry from that which I choose for my own shooting. The 645D is definitely a camera that's a joy and pleasure to use.

As for which items to sell...I'd recommend keep those which you derive the most pleasure in using, regardless of format or level of performance and sell that which although efficient, doesn't quite give the same thrill. I too often find I have to sell items I don't want to give up...but it's always easier when there is less of an emotional attachment. I think you're going to really enjoy the 645D and if you do go for it...I think all of us here at Getdpi are in for a treat in seeing the images you create with it.

Dave (D&A)

bensonga

Well....I did it. Ordered the 645D from my local shop this afternoon.

I am getting rid of nearly all of my m43rds kit and and the D800e...in the end, it wasn't hard to do. For whatever crazy reason, I just never "bonded" with the D800e (unlike my D700, which I love). I'm not sure why, but it is what it is.

I think, as many of you have said, the 645D will be a good fit for me. I really do. :)

Many of you have shared thoughts, observations, encouragement and 645D images for which I am very grateful. Dave, Ed, Shashin, Guy and others I will have forgotten to mention...your words have really helped me get to this point. I feel sure now that I've made the right decision.

The community here has been terrific...a wealth of information and very supportive. For a guy like me, who is just an amateur with an expensive taste for good gear, it's been a great place to air my thoughts and get some very helpful feedback.

My thanks again to each of you! :salute:

Gary

tsjanik

I don't think you will regret this. I felt very guilty when I bought the camera in December 2010, but within two days I knew It wasn't going back. The D700 and 645D seem a great combination; although I might be inclined to follow Guy's advice and keep the m4/3. Interesting that you didn't like the D800. I must admit I've considered a D800 and a Zeiss wide as an alternative to the Pentax 25mm, but will likely get neither and just stitch the lovely 35mm when necessary. I'm not sure which Pentax lenses you have, but I would recommend that you get the 645 35mm A and 120mm (A or FA) macro as soon as possible (welcome to Level 1 of Dante's Inferno).

Tom

Guy Mancuso

Great news Gary. I really believe it will fit you like a glove. Also your welcome I know I express my feelings around here pretty openly and its always with good intent. I actually envy all the hobbyists here that enjoy photography and want to enjoy there art. As A Pro I love what I am but not always love what I do with a lot less freedom of choice. Frankly its truly why I got involved to start this place. It truly is to give back that I enjoy more than being the guy. My hobby is golf and I love to play so I have my outlet. You guys are very important to me as your my joy to try and help you all whatever way I can be it right , wrong or just get you thinking. I'm thrilled you listened to us all and made a choice to give it a try. I held one for about a half hour and it was very nice. I still love MF shooting and brand names mean **** to me , its the format I like. Okay we want images.

Also thanks to all our members that chipped in, you guys rock the house.

bensonga

I don't think you will regret this. I felt very guilty when I bought the camera in December 2010, but within two days I knew It wasn't going back. The D700 and 645D seem a great combination; although I might be inclined to follow Guy's advice and keep the m4/3. Interesting that you didn't like the D800. I must admit I've considered a D800 and a Zeiss wide as an alternative to the Pentax 25mm, but will likely get neither and just stitch the lovely 35mm when necessary. I'm not sure which Pentax lenses you have, but I would recommend that you get the 645 35mm A and 120mm (A or FA) macro as soon as possible (welcome to Level 1 of Dante's Inferno).

Tom
Thanks Tom...I hope I will enjoy the 645D, just as you have!

I don't want to say anything which might disparge the D800...after all, I took less than 200 shots with mine. I'm sure it's an excellent camera...the images just weren't clicking with me.

I'm fortunate to have a pretty good collection of P67 and P645 lenses already, including the P645 35mm A and the 120 A macro. While I haven't actually used the 35mm A lens on my 645NII, that 120 macro is one of my favorites. I lent the 35mm A lens to a friend of mine who has a 645D...he loved it and subsequently bought a 35mm A lens for himself.

I did keep one m43rds camera...my original G1. For whatever reason, that was still my favorite. I kept the G1 and the 14-42mm (quite good actually) and 20/1.7 lenses.

I may detect a trend in my "favorite" digital cameras....they tend to have lower pixel densities than the latest and greatest DSLR cameras on the market. My favorite Nikons are the D700 and D2x, my favorite Canons are the 5D classic, 1D Mark II and 40D.

My favorite Hasselblad is the CFV-16II.

Maybe what Dave said ties this all together...perhaps the images are indeed more "organic", less clinically perfect. Whatever it is, I think (and hope) the 645D will fit in here too and become another new favorite for me.

Or maybe I'm just a guy who enjoys using stuff which isn't "cutting edge"....I still get a huge kick when driving my 2004, RWD, 185hp, normally aspirated (non-turbo), manual transmission 325Ci. :D

Gary

Last edited:

Ed Hurst

Gary - you certainly won't regret it (the potentially annoying arrival of a 645Dii just after you buy a 645D notwithstanding). I too felt guilty buying the 645D in 2010, but just knew I had done the right thing as soon as I started using it.

Your 35mm A and 120mm A lenses shine with this camera. What other glass do you have?

D&A

Wait Gary...send the 645D back! If I had known you had that lovely BMW...I would have sacrificed my 645D for a good cause...namely trading it to you for your car...LOL! It's lovely.

Serious Gary, I like others feel you're really going to enjoy your new 645D and you already have some very lovely lenses to use with it like the 35mm A and the 120 macro. They will shine on the 645D ans well will others.

The D800/e is a supurb machine but as technically proficient and capable as it is, the resulting images from it and the 645D are just different and often times to a great extent in my opinion. Not a question of which is better...just different. Some has to do with the lenses but other reasons I believe the camera itself. Maybe it's the sensor, maybe the electronics and firmware on how it handles processing, it's ahrd to say. Its simply a question of what one plans to do with a given camera and which images provide the look that they are seeking.

Can't wait to hear both your impressions of the camera as well as your lovely images. Nice going Gary...enjoy!

Dave (D&A)

bensonga

Wait Gary...send the 645D back! If I had known you had that lovely BMW...I would have sacrificed my 645D for a good cause...namely trading it to you for your car...LOL! It's lovely.
LOL indeed! :) Thanks Dave. This car was an early 60th birthday present to myself (last October). Like a lot of guys, ever since I was a teenager (with no money) I've wanted a "sports car". In my case, the car I dreamed of owning was a BMW coupe...a modern version of the 2002 tii that I lusted after when I was 16.

This car fit the bill perfectly (it has the sports package, which includes the sport suspension, wheels, seats etc). It's not easy to find a clean used BMW coupe with RWD and a manual transmission in Alaska....I looked for quite awhile. Bought it in mid-October, drove it for 2 weeks before the first snowfall. It's been in storage all winter and I just got her back on the road May 1st...just in time for a late spring snowfall. But all is well now, spring is here and I love driving this car.

As Jeremy Clarkson (of Top Gear) once said, while thrashing a BMW 1M around the track: "What have we got here? A straight six up front, a manual gearbox in the middle and the drive goes to the back. That's page one, chapter one from the petro-sexual handbook." Of course, this 325Ci is no M car, but it suits me just fine. :D

By the way, this photo was taken with the D700. A letter size print of this image, on Epson Exhibition Fiber, is on the wall of my cube at the office. :eek:

Gary

gurtch

Well....I did it. Ordered the 645D from my local shop this afternoon.

I am getting rid of nearly all of my m43rds kit and and the D800e...in the end, it wasn't hard to do. For whatever crazy reason, I just never "bonded" with the D800e (unlike my D700, which I love). I'm not sure why, but it is what it is.

I think, as many of you have said, the 645D will be a good fit for me. I really do.

Many of you have shared thoughts, observations, encouragement and 645D images for which I am very grateful. Dave, Ed, Shashin, Guy and others I will have forgotten to mention...your words have really helped me get to this point. I feel sure now that I've made the right decision.

The community here has been terrific...a wealth of information and very supportive. For a guy like me, who is just an amateur with an expensive taste for good gear, it's been a great place to air my thoughts and get some very helpful feedback.

My thanks again to each of you!

Gary

Gary:
I, too, am an amateur. I also have a great appreciation of fine equipment. In 1959, when we were first married (married 54 years), my understanding wife (still is) helped me own a Pentax 35 mm SLR with numerous lenses, a Leica M2 with several lenses, and a Hasselblad 500 C with 80mm & 150mm lenses. I was also a darkroom fanatic, and had Omega, Besseler, and Leica enlargers. In my film days, I also used Pentax 67 and 645 systems. I now use, among other systems, a 645D. It is the finest, most straight forward digital camera I have ever owned. Mirror lock up? No problem; just flip a lever. HDR bracketing; no problem. The list goes on. I agree, my 35mmA, and 120A macro are outstanding. I may have lucked out, but the new old stock 45-80 FA at 45mm is a really stellar lens. I have made, and sold, 24"x32" prints from the 645D that are just amazing with the sharpness and "clarity" they exhibit. I also use a D800e, with Zeiss lenses. Nice, but no comparison in my eyes.
I totally agree with you: this forum is run by real gentleman........I have received SO much help, encouragement and inspiration here.
We retired to the NJ shore, and only last week were able to return home after 6 months and 9 days of being homeless. While living in a friend's home, I photographed the lovely skies over the beach after Sandy, and will print them soon ( we are away visiting family for two weeks). My web site has some recent 645D stuff. You are going to love this fine piece of equipment. I was an early USA owner; I imported mine from Japan, through Hong Kong, (international warranty....keep your fingers crossed I have no problems).
Very best regards and good luck.
Dave Gurtcheff, Beach Haven, NJ
MODERN PICTORIALS

bensonga

Congratulations! And welcome to a world of wonderfulness :)
Thanks Ed! Your 645D images were some of the earliest I had seen. You sent me a full res image of a steam locomotive and train to print. Looking at that print, I was hooked. It just took me a bit longer than expected to get here.

As you might recall, I have a pretty extensive collection of P67 lenses, all the final versions. The only P67 lens I don't have and still hope to find is the rare 75mm 2.8 beauty. I did finally get a 35mm fisheye and the 100mm macro. So I now have fourteen P67 lenses: 35 fisheye, 45, 55, 75, 75 shift, 90, 90LS, 100 macro, 105, 135 macro, 165, 165LS, 200 and the 300 EDIF. Of course, I also have the Pentax 67=>645 lens adapter.

On the P645 side, when the 645D was first released I decided to start building a P645 kit, with the long term plan to get the 645D. I started off with a LN- condition 645NII and now have seven P645 lenses. All are the manual focus "A" versions, with one exception. So I have the 35, 75, 120 macro, 150, 200, 45-80 FA and 80-160.

If these aren't enough, I have an adapter to mount my Hasselblad Zeiss lenses on the P645. This should keep me busy, just playing with (err..I meant "testing") different lenses on the 645D for quite awhile, I think. :D

Gary

Last edited:

bensonga

My web site has some recent 645D stuff. You are going to love this fine piece of equipment.
Very best regards and good luck.
Dave Gurtcheff, Beach Haven, NJ
MODERN PICTORIALS
So glad to hear that you are back home again Dave. Are you back on Long Beach Island?

I've visited your website many times and I love your seascapes, boats, harbors etc. I don't expect I'll produce anything that good, but I'll do my best to try.

Gary

gurtch

Yes, Gary, we are back in our home on LBI, albeit, we are traveling to the mid west to see grandkids graduate from high school, and college. Thanks for your concern and kind words. We will return in about a week, and I intend to make some big prints from new images. My 3800 and 7890 were idle for over 6 months, and subjected to freezing temperatures ( no electricity). I posted on a different forum here my adventures with that scenario.
Can't wait to see some 645D images.
Dave in NJ

D&A

Dave, so glad your ordeal is nearing an end although I realize there will long be the after effects of what you had to go through and your loses. We're all so glad to hear of your return to the world of engaging what you love to do and look forward to seeing more of your lovely images of LBI and elsewhere.

Gary, great story regarding you car...I love it. just one thing, something is terribly wrong. I have a SUV to plow through those ice and snowstorms but barely any snow here. You have the sportscar for those lovely year round fair weather days. We need to swap and fast! springtime is here and it hit 85 today....just perfect for me to be seen in that BMW of yours.

Anyhow, with all those P67 and P645 lenses, your car can't hold all that gear like my SUV...so consider that I'm doing you a favor to take it off your hands...LOL!

Gary,I was a long time P67 shooter and wish I didn't sell all my 67 lenses prior to the 645D. Regarding your manual focus P645 lenses, some are the same optical formular as their FA AF counterparts and some aren't. In any case it will be fun to try them all out.

Dave (D&A)