The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pentax 645D

D&A

I couldn't bring myself to part with ALL of it....kept my G1, the 14-42 and 20/1.7 lenses. The G1 wasn't worth much and actually takes very nice images. Light and small...perfect for motorcycle or bicycle rides.

The challenge will be....how long can I avoid giving in to the lure/temptation of dipping my toes into the Fuji X-system? :eek:

Nice day here, so I may take the afternoon off and head out along Turnagain Arm with the 645D. :)

I'm definitely taking the 645D with me when I head to Seattle this weekend for a 5 day mini-vacation. Going to travel light...so limiting myself to 3 lenses. Maybe the 35 A, 55 DFA or 75 A and 150 A.

Gary
Gary,

I haven't used the 150 A personally but a few I know who have along side the FA 150 f2.8, regard both as entirely different lenses. I can only speak for the FA 150, and as a portrait lens wide open in the way it renders, ageneral purchase lens when stopped down, a lens that is extremely compact and as I indicated in my lens tests, a lens that weighs next to nothing and so light, I thought they forgot to put some elements inside. Don't pass up one if a good buy comes along. Have fun!

Dave (D&A)

D&A

Crap should not have looked. B&H 17k gets you a 645, 25mm, 55mm,90mm.
In MF that ain't too bad.

No I am not getting one but it is tempting. LOL

Maybe time to knit a new ski mask. Lol

Guy, we all know the D800/e fills different shoes for different applications...but one of the nice thigs about the 645D and many of the lenses, is it in some ways stops the merry-go-round of so many decented and asymetrical performing lenses and endless lens tests for that perfect sample. Of course this even applies more so with the Leica S, but price wise, that system is in a different catagory altogether. Yes, some Pentax samples do perform better than others, but it's more of an issue of global sharpness and sharpness wide open with certain focal lengths and besides many of the lenses are downright cheap compared to 35mm counterparts.

Maybe instead of a full blown sky mask, all that's required with these lower priced bargins, is a borrowed neck scarf to cover the nose and mouth...LOL!

Dave (D&A)

tsjanik

I'm definitely taking the 645D with me when I head to Seattle this weekend for a 5 day mini-vacation. Going to travel light...so limiting myself to 3 lenses. Maybe the 35 A, 55 DFA or 75 A and 150 A.

Gary
You should be back now.
:worthless:

bensonga

:worthless:

Ok...it's only taken me a couple weeks, but I finally got out today to take some photos with the 645D. It was during the worst time of the day for pictures (high noon with very harsh light), but better than nothing I guess.

I think my technique needs quite a bit of improvement, but this is at least a start. These were all taken with the 55mm SDM lens and just quickly processed from the JPG files.

This is one of my favorite locations for interesting landscape photos within a short drive from Anchorage....Bird Point. It's a fascinating place when the tide is going in or out.

More and better pics to come in the future (I hope). :eek:

Gary

bensonga

Thanks Ed. Yes, I really enjoy using the 645D. Now I just need to get better at shooting with it and processing the files. I know I'm not getting the most this camera has to offer.

Here are a couple more shots from the same day.

Gary

Bird Point, 645D and 55mm SDM lens

Ed Hurst

One key decision with the camera is what to use for raw conversion. ACR is ok in quality terms without being superb - but nice workflow in my view. The Pentax software does a slightly better job in my view, but not very user-friendly or efficient. The application much loved on this site does not do a great job with 645D files... So tricky! I accepted ACR some time ago...

Stuart Richardson

Nice Gary! I particularly like the second image of the first group. It looks like a lovely area.
In terms of RAW converters, I would say stick to what is easiest and most efficient for you to use. I prefer Lightroom 4 for most of my own work. I think workflow ease and enjoyment is probably more important than getting the last, tiniest iota of performance out of an already incredibly good camera. Since it is your hobby as well, probably best to stick to whatever brings you the least difficulty and the most enjoyment.

Of course, if you enjoy the processing and searching to get the best quality possible, then by all means, try everything!

D&A

Very nice captures Gary! My favorites are the 2nd shot from each group. I too settled on ACR for the 645D Raw files after comparing them with various RAW converters. On quality alone, Pentax's own software does a bit better than most but it's too cumbersome and slow to use on vast numbers of files.

You'll find (as I'm sure you well know), that working with the 645D RAW files provides a number distinct advantage over jpegs, not to mention the quality of output. It also takes time but you'll find from your collection of P645 and P67 lenses, those that are clearly up to the task of working with the 645D sesnor in order to extract the most out of it.

I hope your initial impression of the camera's handling, ergonomics and image quality is all you had hoped for. Looks like an auspicious start.

Dave (D&A)

Shashin

I have no problems with ARC for my 645D images. The first tab I just use for WB and recovery/fill, the second tab for the curves, I add a bit of sharpening in the next tab, and then in the HSB tab I might adjust color, usually luminance. Once in Photoshop, I will apply layer corrections of needed. Masking becomes very powerful there.

I also like Photoshop because I can do photo merge with RAW files.

D&A

Speaking about ACR, (see the two posts above)....the Pentax 645D files are some of the softest RAW files I've encountered and need a considerable amount of Raw "pre sharpening", which they take quite well and makes a substatial difference to the ultimate output and evaluation.

Dave (D&A)

bensonga

Thanks for the input and tips folks. My processing skills are very basic and I do most of my "serious work" in CS5 with ACR for my Raw conversions. I hate to admit it, but all of the above images were quickly processed from the JPG files in Photoshop Elements 10...which is the only photo editing software on the computer in our family room. I just didn't have the time or energy to fire up my home office computer until tonight.

I'll admit that I wasn't really "blown away" by my first efforts with the images above, but I chalked that up to 1) quick & dirty processing and 2) still learning the camera and best practices for shooting with it.

So...here is the first image I've processed from the 645D Raw file. Converted to B&W with Nik Silver Efex Pro 2. I gave it a more dramatic treatment than I usually do, trying to push the boundaries of my normal constraints a little. You might not see it in this JPG image...but the print (11x17) looks really good. I am very, very pleased with the results. :thumbup:

I've decided right here and now to use this image for an upcoming B&W print exchange.

Now I am fired up and anxious to get out this weekend with a full arsenal of P645 and P67 lenses in tow. :D

Gary

PS....looking at the image today, I may have "overcooked" it a bit. I think I'll create another B&W version that is closer to the original in tonality etc.

Bird Point Mud Flats, P645D, 55mm SDM lens, Nik SEP2 conversion

Last edited:

bensonga

I think version 2 is a bit closer to the original image in tonality and feel.

I would appreciate your thoughts on the two versions....

Both were converted to BW with Nik SEP2 using their presets.

V1: Full Spectrum Harsh, red filter, Kodak Panatomic X, Vignette Lens Fall Off 1.

V2: Fine Art Process, yellow filter, Fuji Neopan Acros 100, Vignette Lens Fall Off 1.

Gary

laopai

Hello everybody!

Just found this place and would like to join the 645D community here.

I've been a 645D owner since June 2010 (50 year old birthday gift from wife), love every bit of it since. Of course I was a 645Nii (and I still own) owner with many glasses.

This is a picture taken two years ago in Banff National Park. Printed 2m*1.5m and it is now on the wall outside my office.

Shashin

Iopal, welcome. It just wants to make you turn 50 every year. There are quite a few 645D photographers here and the medium format digital community in general are very inspirational.

D&A

Hi Iaopai,

A big welcome Iaopai! We have a small but very dedicated and enthusiastic group of 645D shooters here on Getdpi and a great medium format group in general. What a wonderful gift for reaching the half century mark and it's tradition that you receive a new 645D lens on every birthday from here on out :).

Lovely first image and it makes me want to pick up and head out to that neck of the woods and do some shooting. Looking forward to future postings.

Dave (D&A)