The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

sun shade

gebseng

Hi everyone,

I am shooting architecture with a Linhof Techno and a 35mm Digitar. I am looking for a sun/spotlight shading solution less complicated than a full compendium. I was thinking of something similar to a Manfrotto Flexarm (gooseneck), only shorter and lighter, that can me mounted on the camera's hotshoe on one side, and has a matte black card on the other side. Do you have a hint what I could use for that?

best,

Gebhard

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I use the flare buster or a LEE wide hood.

As Ken mentioned, I do also have an excellent Nasty Clamp flag One Single Nasty Flag - Nasty Clamps that works extremely well and is far more rigid and less susceptible to the wind than the flare buster. I have an extension in the clamp and it just attaches to the tripod leg. It's not so practical if you expect to hike away from the car though.

kdphotography

...Don is my heavy duty flare buster. He too is not very practical if you expect to hike away from the car though. And I have to feed him.

:D

ken

Paul2660

Graham

Are you using the lee hood with the Alpa? I would love to find a way to adapt a lee hood to work with the Arca rm3di, as for my liking the Arca compendium is not wide enough even the "wide" version.

Tks
Paul Caldwell

GrahamWelland

Paul,

Yes I use the LEE wide adapter hood along with the LEE filter rings.

For the 23HR it is essential and I use a 72mm wide LEE ring (I don't have the centre filter yet). The wide hood can lay pretty flat is is enough to avoid getting flare, especially on the centre. There's enough wide also to adjust it forwards without getting in to the frame on this lens - which if you can do it with the 23, you should be able to use it on any other lens. I have easy access to the shutter etc with it mounted. The LEE shade I use is the wide one without filter slots. I don't know if the slotted version would be too far forward or not and enter the frame.

For the 35XL & 47XL I have the Schneider centre filters which also allow use of the 72mm LEE rings. For my 90mm HR-W I haven't used the LEE wide hood yet but I do use grads and I see no reason not to use a standard LEE hood if necessary - I just haven't yet but it looks to be no issue. I normally just use a flag, hat or flare-buster card with that one.

Geoff

Also Ebony makes a short adjustable arm with a clip to hold a shade - like the rear back closer plate. Can be gotten from Badger.

Paul2660

Graham:

Thank you for the help, and if I can ask just a few more questions. I am trying to figure out which adapter rings to order.

The 23 Rod and 28 Rod both have the 72mm front threads. Are these the adapter rings you are using on the hood to attach it to the 72mm threads?

lee adapter rings| B&H Photo Video

I have the physical CF for the 28mm Rod, which is the same part number as the CF for the 23mm. The front threads are 95mm on the CF. I noticed that Schneider makes a 95mm adapter ring for the Lee setup. It should show in the link I added above. This should allow you to attach the hood to the front of the CF which would be a great solution.

I am assuming that the hood takes the 100mm x 150mm filters, I guess these would just barely work in front of the 28 or 23 with the CF attached, 95mm to 100mm.

As you pointed out, the smaller Schneiders, 35mm, 43mm and 47 have 72mm front treads on the physical CF, so it would be a very simple deal to attach the hood to them and I think you should be able to get a pretty good shift also since the hood is 8" wide.

I am still trying to find a wide hood with 2 filter slots. B&H is out. Adorama seems to have the hood with 1 slot.

Thanks
Paul Caldwell

Steve C

Please note, on my Lee 95mm adapter ring, the interior opening is smaller than the 95mm thread, so I'm afraid it would cause vignetting on the wide angle lenses you want to use. I have not tried the Schneider ring, but the picture looks like it has the same structure. You might have the same vignetting problem with a 2 slot WA hood due to the second filter holder blocking the lens angle of view.

Paul2660

Steve:

Thanks for the info, I was afraid of that, but still need to try it. On the Sw-150 setup the user can remove one of the filter holders, so you can only make it able to hold 1 filter. On the hood, that comes with the 2 filter holders, can you unscrew the mounts and only have 1 filter or 0 filters?
I ordered the Schneider adapter 95mm ring since Lee currently doesn't show a 95mm wide angle adapter ring, their site stops at 82mm.

From Graham's post it seems like the hood will work on the 28mm if I don't use the CF, but that's a tough call since I really see a big difference with the CF on.

The 35mm and 43mm should be OK, as they have the 72mm front threads.

My only other options are the Arca compendium, but it's square and really not designed for a wide. The Cambo shade seems like a great solution but I can't figure out a way to mount it to the Acra due to the differences in how the two cameras's viewfinders work.

Lee's hood is relatively inexpensive compared to both the Cambo and Arca solutions, so I definitely want to try it. It's just hard to get the info about the Lee products. Their site is OK, but really doesn't give enough pictures or details.

Thanks
Paul Caldwell

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

Paul,

I don't have a CF filter on the 23HR yet and so I'm using 72mm wide angle rings on it with the LEE hood. The LEE hood also has zero slots on it either so it does vignette or interfere in any way.

With the 95mm - I can't say how well that would work. I don't see why it wouldn't work so long as you don't have the slotted version of the hood.