The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Return of the Warrior

tashley

Subscriber Member
Point taken.
My last 'outing' I only used my SK72L which means no LCC and that does spoil you. I agree fully that LCC is a pita workflow!
When it comes to tripod and long exposures, this I am so used to that I don't give it a second thought, but can absolutely see people finding this cumbersome and slow...

Still, imho I think that in the right condition it is hard to beat a tech cam/35XL(fixed)/IQ180/tripod....and I for one would 'seek' conditions suitable for this setup ;)
You old purist you!

I really admire that, but when I look at the hundred best shots I have ever taken, they all depend on fleeting moments of quality of light and circumstance. I have so often been back to a place with 'better gear' hoping to improve on a shot I captured before with whatever I had with me and not once has that worked for me. My style of working is absolutely not dependent on a fluid, immediate style: I like to think that I am generally contemplative and deliberate when working the landscape. But some workflows get in the way of that....

weinlamm

If the Zeiss 21 or 28 aren't good enough for you - the whole system is not good enough for you. No chance! You won't be happy any day.

There are planed some better lenses from Zeiss - but 55mm and up. So nothing for wideangle.
You could use some older Leica-R with Leitax - but there is the same problem. Only Asph Apo should be good enough - but there is no wideangle in this system. And the R-line is closed; I think for ever.

Be honest to yourself. I can't say much - but I didn't believe, that you will be lucky with the Nikon-System. You need a tripod and a MF-System, again, I think... :rolleyes:

danlindberg

You old purist you!
Oh yes. And proud of it. :p

Just a thought, could you not use Hasselblad V lenses on the D800? Ofcourse no wides, but only a fraction of the imagecircle would be used from those lenses...how about a F50/2.8 + F110/2...that also can be picked up at reasonable prices!

weinlamm

Oh; I forgot the Sigma. I had some Sigmas in the past - but will never buy any! I wrote in a magazin, that the new 35/1.4 should be the beginning of a new 'pro-line' - but Sigma said this so often in the past... :toocool:

I couldn't believe and I don't want to lost time for testing this... I had some Sigma-Lenses and if you have a nice copy it's good. But AF is sometimes death on a newer camera. Firmware-Update needed... :mad:

And I had some grain in my pictures on a D700 - I believe, that that was a sign of not enough solution from the glas (12-24 und 28/2).

tashley

Subscriber Member
If the Zeiss 21 or 28 aren't good enough for you - the whole system is not good enough for you. No chance! You won't be happy any day.

There are planed some better lenses from Zeiss - but 55mm and up. So nothing for wideangle.
You could use some older Leica-R with Leitax - but there is the same problem. Only Asph Apo should be good enough - but there is no wideangle in this system. And the R-line is closed; I think for ever.

Be honest to yourself. I can't say much - but I didn't believe, that you will be lucky with the Nikon-System. You need a tripod and a MF-System, again, I think... :rolleyes:
Well they are certainly very good and useable in many, even most circumstances: but the 21mm is not as sharp to the edges as the camera can take. Whereas the Samyang 14mm F2.8 really is, if you are OK with the distortion (which I am). I do use adapted R glass and am very happy with it, and I am also very happy with my 85mm F1.8G and in fact with a reasonable number of other lenses but they are mostly longish.

I am sure better lenses will come and I think the direction of flow is evident and unstoppable!

PeterA

I agree on this... all P1 45+, Sinar 75, Aptus 75/7 and CF39 provide superb images and a great balance between ultimate quality and flexibility... I also love the (now discontinued) Kodak 22mp sensor backs... especially if they are of the 16x MS type (microstep), they do provide the absolute TOP in terms of IQ in stills, while only lack some resolution in single shot, which IMO is the least important factor for great photography.
Hi Theodoros - I agree all great backs.

jonoslack

Well they are certainly very good and useable in many, even most circumstances: but the 21mm is not as sharp to the edges as the camera can take. Whereas the Samyang 14mm F2.8 really is, if you are OK with the distortion (which I am). I do use adapted R glass and am very happy with it, and I am also very happy with my 85mm F1.8G and in fact with a reasonable number of other lenses but they are mostly longish.

I am sure better lenses will come and I think the direction of flow is evident and unstoppable!
Have you tried the 19mm R lens? it's supposed to be really grand (and priced accordingly I'm afraid).
Red Dot Cameras have a type 1 (I guess) 19mm elmarit but I suppose it would be the type II you'd want

johnnygoesdigital

Chasing pixels...

The zf.2 21mm has a profile in LR that's quite good...not perfect, but most can be corrected with a good degree of success. Constantly looking for perfection is expensive and time consuming, every lens has something, but not everything. Get a ZF.2 15mm and crop slightly, and there's your 18-21mm perfection. You don't want to miss that magical, golden light of the Highlands because you didn't think your lenses could accurately capture it. Perhaps the Nikon 17mm PC will satisfy...

tashley

Subscriber Member
Don't get me wrong, I'll shoot through the bottom of a coke bottle if that's what is to hand. In the field, I would never let the best be the enemy of the good. But when I am buying and testing, I do look for sharp edges and I think that is perfectly reasonable. If a Sony RX-1 can do it, so can a D800.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Precisely! And the Nikkor 24 PC-E is, uhhm... not very good.
You need to look for a better copy -- they are out there, but take a bit to find. Either way, they do NOT hold up to the HR32 or even HR23 over the IQ back, not even close. But then I don't think Canon's 17 or 24 are even close to the HR32/23 ;-)

KeithL

If a Sony RX-1 can do it, so can a D800.
But the RX-1 can only do it at 35mm.

If Sony made an RX-2 with a 20mm lens I'd buy it tomorrow. There again, if they did, then it would probably have soft edges and corners.

tashley

Subscriber Member
You need to look for a better copy -- they are out there, but take a bit to find. Either way, they do NOT hold up to the HR32 or even HR23 over the IQ back, not even close. But then I don't think Canon's 17 or 24 are even close to the HR32/23 ;-)
I know you're right Jack but I am on my second one and I've heard of people going through several and not getting a good one. I am getting increasingly p***d off jumping through Nikon's hoops!

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
After letting my IQ180 sit on the shelf for a couple of months I took it out and used it a bit a few days ago.
What is the word? Gobsmacked?
Damn it is good.
-bob

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Same just happened to me, Bob. Haven't been doing much MF work in the dead of this winter, just using the M9 and a99 for casual stuff. But I'm heading south for a month with MF and did a few shots with the IQ180 just to check it...and yes, gobsmacked! I'd forgotten just how good those files are.

Bill

Pemihan

Can I borrow your IQ180's the months where they are just sitting on the shelf anyway?

Peter

After letting my IQ180 sit on the shelf for a couple of months I took it out and used it a bit a few days ago.
What is the word? Gobsmacked?
Damn it is good.
-bob

Same just happened to me, Bob. Haven't been doing much MF work in the dead of this winter, just using the M9 and a99 for casual stuff. But I'm heading south for a month with MF and did a few shots with the IQ180 just to check it...and yes, gobsmacked! I'd forgotten just how good those files are.

Bill

Last edited:

tsjanik

The performance of the Nokia phone convinces me of this as much as the
D800. Someday our cameras will be integrated into our eyeglasses! In any event, I'd like to see your images return to the MF forum, so don't let the IQ180 sit on the shelf.

Tom