The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Return of the Warrior

KeithL

In case it's of interest, I am going to be using the Zeiss 15mm with a D800E in the hope that this wholly new design might do the D800E's sensor justice. Time will tell!
Ed, it would be of great interest. It's a little wider than I'd envisaged buying but I figure if the edges are a somewhat soft I can always crop a little. Distortion seems to be simple barrel which is a bonus.

I'd be interested to hear other's experiences of this lens.

tashley

Subscriber Member
I have both of these,thought of selling them but I am holding on to them in hope of a canon body that has a sensor to match the D800E
I'd love for that to happen too. It would answer so many wishes! I can't see it happening though, unless Canon really makes a sensor breakthrough or buys them in. As far as I can see, they're more video and 'working pro' oriented and the particular group of working pros they cater to actually don't seem to need huge prints, but do need really reliable systems, great AF and great after sales service. The dark horse here is Sony....

RVB

I'd love for that to happen too. It would answer so many wishes! I can't see it happening though, unless Canon really makes a sensor breakthrough or buys them in. As far as I can see, they're more video and 'working pro' oriented and the particular group of working pros they cater to actually don't seem to need huge prints, but do need really reliable systems, great AF and great after sales service. The dark horse here is Sony....
I think there is a high res body in development,I am guessing that a new fabrication process is in the works,I agree with your comments on canon,it seems to dominate the sports photog world and is everywhere in reportage and fashion(I wonder if the 85mm 1.2 has anything to do with that. fashion photogs love that lens.. )

Full Frame DSLR Cameras Part II ? Canon stays the course | Technology Blog

tashley

Subscriber Member
I'm sure they'll get the resolution right, but they have never really cracked the banding and DR issues. I really like Canon, shot them for years right back the the early digitals, and their build, design and QC is great. But Nikon were always good at spotting the gaps...

Ed Hurst

Interesting! I must admit (having ordered the Zeiss 15mm), I am a little disconcerted to see it being beaten in edge resolution by the 14-24. I knew the zoom was good, but I had hoped the new prime would at least equal it in this respect. However, for me, the killer issue is flare. I have already had one shot spoilt by the 14-24's tendency to pick up flare due to its bulbous front element. I am hoping upon hope that the Zeiss (with its flatter front element and good, built-in hood) does not have this problem.

KeithL

Ed, yes, the Zeiss was a little sharper in the centre but the edges were surprisingly poor. The Samyang was a non-starter for my applications; the distortion was just too extreme and complex.

Having decided to dismiss the Nikon and Samyang 24mm T/S lenses because they just aren't wide enough I'm now veering towards the Nikon zoom, which, it has to be said, is a mile from where I thought I'd be.

KeithL

I should add that I'm aware that the Nikon 14-24 has focus shift issues but as I would be using it on a tripod with live-view it is essentially a non-issue.

Ed Hurst

I see where you're coming from. But watch for that flare. I read about it before trying the lens but had no idea it was so susceptible. Sounds like something easily avoided with care, but with such a wide angle of view, that is far from the case...

KeithL

I see where you're coming from. But watch for that flare. I read about it before trying the lens but had no idea it was so susceptible. Sounds like something easily avoided with care, but with such a wide angle of view, that is far from the case...
Thanks, Ed. Should I go the zoom route - and I've never gone there before -I'll keep it in mind.

D&A

Ed is right! I recently had a brief encounter with the Zeiss 15mm and performed some quick informal test shots with it vs. the 14-24. I'd say it was a toss up of sorts. Edge sharpness went to the 14-24...center sharpness went "slightly to somewhat" to the Zeiss but that gap closed upon stopping down and lastly I could provoke flair far easier with the zoom. Surprised me how big the Zeiss was (similar to the 14-24) but it's mass/weight was less.

A bit of an issue I had with the Zeiss is if one crops the sides, then they are approaching 16/17mm and although the Zeiss 18mm may not have quite the acuity, when price/performance is taken into consieration, it's a viable option.

Nothing reveals more than long term use of a lens to get to know it's strenghts and weaknesses and as long as my experiences have been with the 14-24, I only had just a very brief encounter with the Zeiss 15mm.

None of these results are surprising from what others have observed.

*** I forgot to add that I've shot the Sammy 14mm, and although in most instances, distortion can be fairly easily corrected, I've so far opted to stay with the 14-24...although I am using it less for my uses and might reconsider.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

tashley

Subscriber Member
The Samyang has pretty good flare characteristics. Take a look at these four shots, the first three shots as a series to show what happens at various angles to the sun.

and one to show how a very bright, blown source affects a dark scene (shadows pumped up to 100 in LR):

All files uncorrected for distortion.

D&A

Tim, am I interpreting this incorrectly? That last shot (the interior), was shot with the Samyang without any distortion correction applied? If so, I'm surprised by the straight lines towards the sides/edges knowing how this lens generally performs with such scenes.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

KeithL

...and lastly I could provoke flair far easier with the zoom.
Yes, thanks, I hear you both.

Should I get it, the 14-24 would always be used on a tripod. As a matter of course when using these wides I - or more often my hard working assistant, otherwise known as wife - always shield the lens from any direct sunlight.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Tim, am I interpreting this incorrectly? That last shot (the interior), was shot with the Samyang without any distortion correction applied? If so, I'm surprised by by the straights towards the sides/edges knowing how this lens generally performs with such scenes.

Dave (D&A)
Handheld, focussed by eye, no corrections... no wonder there's a version branded ROKinon. It rocks.

KeithL

The other reason I've dismissed the Samyang is that most of the time it would be way too wide with a rendition of perspective that is just too extreme.

The 14-24 would allow the option to use it on the odd occasion at the wider focal lengths but would also deliver far more versatility.