The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Thank you for all the info and experience

Paratom

I just wanted to thank you guys for answering many of my questions in the process to decide for a MF system.

In the end I saw pros and cons of each system and could not say that there was one which only would have pros and no cons.

I have decided for a Hy6 with LV54 system.
Reasons were the follwing:

1) Hy6:
I wanted the MF as an additional system to my Nikon and Leica M. I just think that no MF system can come close to the speed and low light capabilities of these cameras.
For that reason I wanted to add a system which would give me a more conventional classic MF-feeling including the flexibility to also use a nice WLF.
I was tempted to go Hassy V, but wasnt sure if in some cases AF (of the Hy6) would not be an advantage, as well as the fact to have all the metering options in the camera-body.
Plus I was a little bit afraid that a square sensor in the CFV size might (eventually) be a little limiting regarding wideangle.
Now if you think WLF and 3:4 sensor the rotating back of Sinar (or the rotating sensor of Leaf) makes sense.
Also as a german guy I was somewhat influenced to get a camera which is manufactured in my home country.
I realized that the Sinar service in the US might be not the greatest and that the hmi of the Hy6 would not be self explaining. However so far I have received very fast response and service from several guys at Sinar (from Sinar Swizerland, from Sinar Germany and from the responsible Sales guy in may area). Price was competitive.
ALso some nice glass available for the system - first I was shocked by prices but the used market here in Germany is ok and I could get a "3 lens starter kit" (40-80-150) for reasonable prices.

The Back: LV54
Reasons were a) the decision for the Hy6, b) the option to use it with a rotating adapter c) the felexibility to use it with different systems vs adapters and d) price
I would have prefered the LV75 but not in my price range.
Again I guess the Phase+ backs might have nicer display and little more intuitive user interface (and also the software) but I think I will manage the Sinar back as well. After spending 2-3 evenings with the equipment I now think to understand the ideas behind it.

Overall my first impression is quit good.

Again thanks for all the help.

Cheers, Tom

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Congrats, Tom. Enjoy the system with the knowledge that you are getting excellent equipment.

Kurt

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Ditto. Tom glad the forum members where able to help in your decision. Best of luck and let's see some shots soon.

Paratom

thanks for all the nice answers.
Here a rainy dark weekend. Not the best weather if you want to get new MF equipment running.

Paratom

Its awfull. These days I enter my office in the dark and I leave it in the dark. At the weekend its raining. So at least I have some excuses to not have shown anything exciting yet.

BradleyGibson

Very nice, sir!! Love the mood!!

We must be at a similar latitude. It's just about pitch black here in Seattle by 4pm this time of year. Ugh.

While we're sharing, a couple of days ago I posted 22 photos from a shoot I did in Iceland with the Hy6/e75r. You can see them at http://GibsonPhotographic.com/Iceland.

Take care,
Brad

W

weinglas

Hi Tom,

congratulations on your new Hy6. Your picture shows that you will have a lot of fun.

Best Regards,
Claus

BTW: What happened to your ZD?

Paratom

Hi Tom,

congratulations on your new Hy6. Your picture shows that you will have a lot of fun.

Best Regards,
Claus

BTW: What happened to your ZD?
Thanks CLaus,
I still have the ZD and want to keep it for some time. Im not sure if for some ocassions (travel for example) the ZD with it compactness and low weight might not be good and I dont think I will loose much money if I keep it for some more time.
Regards, Tom

yaya

Thanks CLaus,
I still have the ZD and want to keep it for some time. Im not sure if for some ocassions (travel for example) the ZD with it compactness and low weight might not be good and I dont think I will loose much money if I keep it for some more time.
Regards, Tom
Congratulations Tom! BTW your ZD could have saved you €7K if you were buying a new AFi-II 7 :bugeyes:

Cheers, yair

Paratom

Congratulations Tom! BTW your ZD could have saved you €7K if you were buying a new AFi-II 7 :bugeyes:

Cheers, yair
Thanks Yair.

Does that mean one could buy a Leaf AFi-II 7 camera system package
for €19.995 minus 7000 € for a ZD =12.995 € for the set?

Why doesnt Leaf tell people?

Cheers, Tom

yaya

Thanks Yair.

Does that mean one could buy a Leaf AFi-II 7 camera system package
for €19.995 minus 7000 € for a ZD =12.995 € for the set?

Why doesnt Leaf tell people?

Cheers, Tom
No, it means that you could get €7K off the list price of €24,995.

BR

Yair