The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad Falls into the Sea

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Not telling tales out of school, but you might ask Guy what happened to one of his Hassys :ROTFL:
-bob

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Absolutely! :thumbs: That's how I'd recover from dunking my Hassy in the sea (or my last one of dumping my DF/P40+ & 75-150 on to a rock from 5ft at a GetDPI workshop - luckily the last day!).
Was that you? I did it too with an IQ180.
But nothing happened except the lens hood got a bit scuffed.
-bob

Professional

Awwww, i can't imagine it, my worst accident happened to my H4D is that i dropped it on a hard floor, sent for service and it costs me about a price of 5DII *new* 2 years ago.

Stuart Richardson

I had a Rollei 6008AF with a 180/2.8 Schneider go over in the Icelandic wind once...luckily it had a soft landing and bar from some scratches on the lens hood, nothing went out (believe me, I checked!). But once you have had this happen, you don't really leave your tripod alone anymore for any period of time! At least not in the wind here. I figured a 7 or 10lb camera and lens combo like that giant rollei and lens would be fine, but it was not the case!

Shashin

Awkward with a tripod, but I usually work with the camera strap around my neck. (That way, when I slip and fall, I can take out the camera and tripod at the same time as hanging myself. But folks do say the extra weight can stabilized the tripod.)

Stuart Richardson

Actually, I am generally very careful with gear, but the moment I decided to man-up and get camera insurance was shortly after I got the S2. I was photographing in the night, on a tripod, and I was on a dock. I backed up and tripped over a big mooring cleat, and fell directly on my ***, padded by a bag containing my 120mm Macro and 35mm 2.5. The tripod came down with me, and I caught the S2 about six inches from the ground on its way to a 10000 euro repair. Everything was completely unscathed, but for my confidence in my own invincibility. Now I have a policy to cover these sorts of things, but that time it was a good thing I still have quick reflexes!

Shashin

And you were lucky enough not to have a video crew recording that or you could have gone viral on GetDPI long ago. LOL But I know how that feels--I had insurance when I took a tumble in the Japanese alps and broke my fall with my camera, which also broke.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
If anyone wants to know, I can describe the 'wump' as a DF body hits a rock and smash & tinkle sound that an exploding lens hood, ND filter and 75-150D lens makes as it follows. That also is as good a recommendation for insurance (and also adjusting your Arca-Swiss clamp properly) as anything.

Btw, net result was one repairable 75-150D, one dead ND filter and a completely obliterated lens hood. That in itself also is testament to not only the flare busting capabilities but also the impact absorbing capabilities of the humble plastic lens hood. DF body and P40+ were unscathed although suspiciously the Phase One shutter did spectacularly self destruct six months later. (Body was serviced at the same time as the lens).

Be careful out there people ...

Stuart - I can also atest to the hardness and immovability of mooring cleats/bollards after walking in to one on a boat in Sydney harbour while composing with my xpan at the time. They are definitely harder and more immovable than the human knee! (You also look an idiot as you face plant over on to the deck too)

Stuart Richardson

Yes, the absence of a video recording crew was highly appreciated. These are the dangers of having a beautiful aurora overhead. My mom is a huge birder, and her number one rule is to never walk while looking through binoculars, particularly in the jungle. There are many snakes (fer de lance) that will leave you be, unless you just happen to step on them. The dangers of harbor cleats pale in comparison.