The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad Falls into the Sea

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Sad to see but Michael Kenna's good for getting another one ... gratis I'm sure.

He's one of my artistic inspirations - I love his work.

Shashin

So, they don't float. I was wondering about that.

I thought you were supposed to wash the film after you took the picture--maybe that is how he gets his look.

That must have sure impressed the documentary film crew. At least it was windy which helps the camera to dry out.

GrahamWelland

I was told that you should put it in a bucket of fresh water immediately if completely drenched. However, I would think that it's RIP and probably has a nice salt water patina by now.

Shashin

RIP--Rust In Place. I think he will need a new camera, but there are lots of Hasselblad dealers in Japan and he should be OK.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Drying off salt water... no, I don't think that will help much :confused:

The question is: did he have a backup camera or did he finish the assignment with someones iPhone?

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

He has my total sympathy. My IQ 180 fell off my DF into a river - fortunately fresh water, and fortunately insured. It cost $5,000 to "remanufacture".

And I still love it - though I now check the body locking mechanism a lot more carefully!

Bill

hsteeves

since its time in the water was short and this looks to be a mechanical Hassleblad, I'm thinking it is probably saveable - even if it was salt water... needs the fresh water bath. I'm sure that there are might be a few Hasselblad repair people in Japan.

JorisV

Timeless camera, I wonder who 30 years from now will still be shooting with a Hasselblad H4D or a Phase One DF+?

Geoff

the fix used to be:

soak in a bucket of fresh water
then soak in alcohol, which hopefully would evaporate after taking the water away.

BradleyGibson

Ugh--heartbreaking to see that!

In the sea, an electronic camera (which his wasn't) would be gonzo pretty quickly.

But if it does happen to you, remove all power sources immediately, and thereafter immerse in fresh water. Ideally running fresh water to move all the salt out of the system.

From there drying before applying power is key. Sunlight, bags of uncooked rice and lots of time are your friends when drying. I've had an iPhone survive such a scenario (even though the battery could not be removed).

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Timeless camera, I wonder who 30 years from now will still be shooting with a Hasselblad H4D or a Phase One DF+?
Likely only a handful, if any.

We still come across users actively using a Phase One PowerPhase which are from 1996 (17 years old), a hefty chunk of 30. Also many H20 users which are from 2001 (12 years old). Still, I don't expect that in 13 more years we'd see any PowerPhase users left other than novelty users.

A tech camera like an Arca with a large format digital lens on the other hand I expect may well still be around in niche-but-active capacity.

Of course I'm just guessing. Let's talk again in 30 years. :salute:

Godfrey

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10200704169394800

Keep thinking this guy is almost lucky he still uses film. If that was a digital Hasselblad, there would have been a storm surge of tears.
Yes, it would have been a much more expensive loss were the camera a digital Hasselblad. But that's really not at issue here.

Michael is a good guy, I like his photos a lot, and that 'Blad has been the tool that made a lot of them for 30 years. Sad to see a nice old camera come to an end that way.

I have lost a camera or two in similarly unexpected ways over the years. While I rarely get all that attached to a particular camera, it's always a minor heartbreak to see one get snuffed out like that.

According to the caption: "Michael Kenna's beloved Hasselblad falls in the sea in Korea last month - he's used this camera since 1983. Having replaced this camera with a new one in Tokyo last week Michael's old camera is now on display at Hasselblad Japan."

In the end it's just equipment, regardless what it cost. Replace it and continue ... life goes on.

Godfrey

"Equipment is transitory. Photographs endure."

GrahamWelland

the fix used to be:

soak in a bucket of fresh water
then soak in alcohol, which hopefully would evaporate after taking the water away.
Soaking in water followed by soaking in alcohol solves many of life's little problems too. I highly recommend it. :chug: :ROTFL:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Nothing that happened to that camera that a decent CLA won't cure.
I have a couple of old Hassys that I treat to a shoot when the girls come around, but it looks like to be cool I need to be shooting wet-plate.
-bob