The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

webpage for stolen Phase one equipment?

mmbma

Hi

Is there a website to find out about reported stolen Phase one equipment? I got offered a deal on a DF+p65+ back that seemed a little too good to be true. I want to check the serial number.

Appreciate your help

MMBMA

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Hi

Is there a website to find out about reported stolen Phase one equipment? I got offered a deal on a DF+p65+ back that seemed a little too good to be true. I want to check the serial number.

Appreciate your help

MMBMA
Check with a dealer (like us). We can check the serial against repair history and theft.

Though it being stolen isn't the only concern when you're buying privately.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Yes indeed, there's the concern that you're going to save an absolute ton of cash. Now that's the sort of concern I like! ;)
That's the obvious benefit. I think the perception that there is a "ton" of difference between dealer price vs a private sale is just plain wrong (and based on list prices rather than street price); but there certainly is often a difference in price.

But you've been on the forums enough to read the number of stories that come up of people buying gear that is broken, out of calibration, scratched filter, or - most commonly of all - buying something that's completely wrong for their needs or doesn't meet their expectations because they go it alone and don't have any help selecting appropriate gear.

Many times private sales work out great, but when it doesn't this forum, luminous-landscape, and my phone are often the places that end up hearing about it.

I don't actually remember anyone on the forums buying something stolen. So my point was that worrying about whether the gear was stolen is pretty low on my list of concerns for a buyer of a private sale too-good-to-be-true.

gazwas

Though it being stolen isn't the only concern when you're buying privately.
I know you are one of the best Doug but that was spoken like a true salesman! :mad:

There of plenty of respectable private sellers around who have a love for the kit they use and have treated it with the upmost of respect it deserves, my self being one who is looking to sell a P65+/DF here on this forum.

It is often true that a deal that looks too good to be true often can be but dealers DO NOT have the monopoly on selling tip top condition medium format kit.

I personally have had more issues with respected dealers and the way you are treated after the sale is made than with private sellers.

OP, if you are worried about the kit and you have serial numbers I would (and personally have) contacted Phase One directly for details and avoid the middle man as all they will do is make the same line of enquiry. Direct is always more efficient IMO.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
We agree 100%.

A private sale from an individual with a great reputation and long history on the forums is a great way to avoid (or greatly reduce) the potential headaches of buying from a private individual (though it still leaves the issues of support and service when the manufacturer defers primary service to the dealer network).

A private sale from Guy Mancuso for instance is a lock-solid bet; he's sold so much gear here and been here so long (let alone the fact he is a co-owner of the forum) that you can buy with great confidence regarding the condition, origin, treatment, and purchase process. Doesn't hurt that a huge number on the forum have met him in person, gone on a workshop with him, or could otherwise vouch that he is a great, honest, and meticulous guy (except when it comes to spelling).

I guess my point is someone posting a question in which they are concerned if the back is stolen or not is surely not buying from such an individual.

mmbma

Thanks. Doug helped me out real quick to dig up the history of the system in questions, many thanks.

I'll check out the system next week and report back