The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Alpa pricing from dealer

PeterL

I've had very good and prompt service from FotoCare (Jeff Hirsch). Their prices are reasonable, on average 10-12% above the directly converted price into US$. Some items are cheaper others a bit more. This was also the experience I had with Optechs Digital.

Cheers,

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I was at Bear Images on Tuesday and Jim Taskett couldn't have been more helpful. Similarly Dennis Semick at Dodd Camera although I found that they had challenges with getting me accurate pricing. Fortunately for many of the Alpa users here the bar was set by Paul Slotboom at Optechs Digital - and I think that we all miss them. When it came to Alpa you couldn't find a more helpful and knowledgeable dealer. Jim at Bear is also very knowledgeable but the buying experience is different. Walking in with a backpack full of gear gets their attention but I do agree that it shouldn't be like that.

Regarding happy Arca-Swiss users - well, no doubt - when you finally get it! Once you order Alpa gear it does at least turn up as quickly as they can ship it. :)

Geoff

how about this: price of the camera is what the dealer pays for it plus some percentage?

That would take the risk out, and help with European companies that sell to the public at a price close to what they charge US dealers. Of course, this assumes a customer can cope with the idea of a markup and wouldn't go do an end run and buy direct. They wouldn't do that, would they?

GrahamWelland

That's pretty much how Dodd priced things for me first time around - exchange price plus shipping. Other more established dealers calculated a price up front or got an update from Alpa and shared that with me prior to shipping.

Ultimately though if you talk to non-Alpa dealers they'll happily tell you that the way Alpa does business puts a lot of risk on the dealer which actually I don't really think is a good way of doing business. That said, I do understand Alpa's position because their list prices, ex-factory, are available for all to see in CHF on their web site.

If it's any consolation, what you get even has Cambo and some Arca folks swooning over it with oooo's & ahhhh's (Ken). :ROTFL: Not to mention that I think that every single Alpa guy here on the forum has put up an image of it at some point on this web site. :D

Last edited:

tjv

Although I ended up buying a Linhof Techno, I had great dealings with Linhof and Studio:
Linhof & Studio Ltd. - Alpa - 12 SWA, 12 WA
I was really wanting to get into the Alpa system and Paula was ultra helpful and very upfront and prompt with answers to questions and quotes. For those not in the USA, as a satisfied customer, I recommend asking her if you aren't getting luck elsewhere.

rga

I was at Bear Images on Tuesday and Jim Taskett couldn't have been more helpful. Similarly Dennis Semick at Dodd Camera although I found that they had challenges with getting me accurate pricing. Fortunately for many of the Alpa users here the bar was set by Paul Slotboom at Optechs Digital - and I think that we all miss them. When it came to Alpa you couldn't find a more helpful and knowledgeable dealer. Jim at Bear is also very knowledgeable but the buying experience is different. Walking in with a backpack full of gear gets their attention but I do agree that it shouldn't be like that.

Regarding happy Arca-Swiss users - well, no doubt - when you finally get it! Once you order Alpa gear it does at least turn up as quickly as they can ship it. :)
Not sure how you walked in there with a backpack full of gear; I can barely squeeze between the boxes and the wall! :ROTFL:

I like my Alpa. I like Fotocare. They are fair and honest and we work well together.

I am glad there is more than one choice for MF tech cams. This is good for the market and the users. I think what you choose and use is a very personal matter comprised of many factors, some of which are being discussed here (dealer relationship, how you like to work, perceived utility, etc.).

I don't think one system is head and shoulders above another; it's just different and better for some users than others.

Over and out! :salute:

GrahamWelland

Not sure how you walked in there with a backpack full of gear; I can barely squeeze between the boxes and the wall! :ROTFL:

I don't think one system is head and shoulders above another; it's just different and better for some users than others.

Over and out! :salute:
That's funny. Anybody who's ever visited Bear Images will be able to relate. I was only able to remove the pack after walking in and following the single track to the back, via the Alpa/Phase cabinet and back to the front of the store. Luckily nobody else was in the store otherwise I might still be stuck there. The aisle was too narrow to turn :ROTFL:

Regarding the tech cams, I totally agree that they are ALL great. I love my Alpa but I'd be happy to own an Arca-Swiss, Cambo or more traditional Techno. At the end of the day it's all about the glass and getting the sensor in the right place. Everything else is just flavours of camera.