The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Alpa pricing from dealer

Quick question for Alpa users. When getting a quote for an Alpa bodies or lenses is it reasonable to expect pricing to reflect the prices that Alpa has on their website and then account for the exchange rate between CHF and USD? Are Alpa dealers expected to have the same pricing across the USA? Thanks.

gerald.d

Hi Aravind -

On their website, ALPA make it clear that their prices are ex-works. I would imagine that any "list" prices for ALPA products at dealers would take into account of any shipping, customs and local sales tax applicable.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

mmbma

I just checked prices with Fotocare in new york, they are the Alpa dealer here. Seems they have increased prices two weeks ago, citing "currency valuation". The rosewood grip for TC which cost 1k before is now 1200. The TC body itsellf is $2400 (from $1995)

Yea this is what I'm wondering about. The TC for example is listed at 1920 CHF on Alpa's website. Looking at the current exchange rate its about 1 CHF = 1.08 USD so I would expect a TC to sell for around $2075 and not $2400 which is a 16% premium and not explained by any currency valuation.

However I did go look up the US import customs and duties for camera products from Switzerland and depending on the item the duties range from 2.3% - 5.6% so that is at least part of the explanation.

Just to be clear, I'm not complaining or accusing dealers of anything, just trying to understand how the pricing works. This is new to me coming from Leica land where Leica USA sets USA prices and its very clear how much stuff should cost at any Leica dealer.

Shashin

You don't get the exchange rate as there are fees on that. And the exchange rate fluctuates. It is not as simple as looking up today's rate on the internet.

mmbma

yeah, I think the authorized dealers are honest. They won't try to skim you on a few hundred bucks as they are in the long term business and have their profit margins built in. Too bad that alpa raised prices. Just wait until the USD appreciates or buy a used one from someone who's not aware of the price increase yet :)

The exchange rate for Swiss Francs to USD has been fluctuating this year on the order of about 3%, though from about mid last year the Swiss Franc has gained about 8% which might explain the increase that mmbma mentioned. As for fees, the upper bound on that is about 3%.

I'm not as interested in price increases as I am in determining if there is any predictability in pricing from dealer to dealer.

Thanks mmbma, like I said I'm not as concerned about the prices themselves as I am just ascertaining whether dealers simple set them arbitrarily. It sounds like that isn't the case, and I should find the dealer with best service and go with them. Thanks all!

Shashin

Most dealer contracts limit what they can charge for a product--both in adding to and discounting the price. That is one advantage to a dealer.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Most other photographic companies (actually every other one that I can think of, but maybe there are a few I'm unaware of) price their products in USD and make list-price adjustments once or twice a year to account for currency fluctuations. This leads to greater price stability, more direct/intuitive pricing between dealers and across time, and reduces (but does not eliminate) the issue of having an item on the shelf for a month and having it's relative value fluctuate during that time.

Alpa requires all purchases by the dealer to be done in CHF which means if you get a quote from a dealer on Monday and the currency fluctuates 3% in the week or two you take to make a decision then that dealer is stuck (or blessed) with the changed margin.

Frankly I think it's a very strange pricing model and it's one reason why both dealers I've worked with do not sell Alpa.

gerald.d

Not everyone lives in the US Doug.

Fixing a price in USD won't stop fluctuations for people (be they dealers or the public) shopping in Switzerland, or Europe, or the UK, or Japan, or etc etc etc.

Most other photographic companies (actually every other one that I can think of, but maybe there are a few I'm unaware of) price their products in USD and make list-price adjustments once or twice a year to account for currency fluctuations. This leads to greater price stability, more direct/intuitive pricing between dealers and across time, and reduces (but does not eliminate) the issue of having an item on the shelf for a month and having it's relative value fluctuate during that time.

Alpa requires all purchases by the dealer to be done in CHF which means if you get a quote from a dealer on Monday and the currency fluctuates 3% in the week or two you take to make a decision then that dealer is stuck (or blessed) with the changed margin.

Frankly I think it's a very strange pricing model and it's one reason why both dealers I've worked with do not sell Alpa.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
A fair point and of course the pricing model does have some advantages or they wouldn't use it.

But its worth noting that most companies price in the local currency in any given country. Not just the US. By pricing in the origin currency you increase the volatility to the end buyer, and there just aren't a lot of goods that consumers are used to seeing fluctuate on a daily/weekly basis. Gas/petrol come to mind.

Anyway, if my post sounded overly negative I apologize. Alpa is of course free to charge however they want, but for the OP an understanding of how they sell to dealers is likely informative regarding the variations he is seeing.

gerald.d

No, by pricing in the origin currency, you potentially increase volatility to the dealer. Not the end consumer.

If I was living in the US and looking to buy ALPA kit, I certainly wouldn't expect my dealer to quote me a different price depending on the day of the week, and I rather suspect that's not what ALPA dealers do. This suspicion is supported by published prices on dealers' web sites that I've seen, and also by the third post in this thread.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Btw, I would expect there to be some difference depending upon whether the item is held in stock at the dealer or ordered/shipped from Alpa.

My experience is that the price is fixed at order time (with established dealers) and then they take the currency risk. I think that as Doug mentioned it explains the small number of active dealers. I know my original dealer was getting it in the shorts when the CHF was strong and volatile to the USD.

stngoldberg

When I was in the process of buying a technical camera, I just couldn't get any accurate product information from Fotocare. I relied on an individual from Alpa who was based in Europe and who was representing them on this forum and who no longer works for them.
I found Doug Peterson, who at the time worked for CI and he was a very responsive source of information; culminating in my purchase of an ARCA SWISS RM3Di.
The Arca was less expensive; allowed tilt on every lens, used the same lenses as ALPA (Schneider and Rodenstock) and offered knowledgeable service. Later I discovered Rod Klucas (the US representative for Arca Swiss) who answers the phone immediately when I have a question and who is an oracle on Arca Swiss products.
Subsequently I have purchased five lenses from CI (32 Rodie, 46 Schneider, 72 Schneider, 120 Schneider, and 210 Schneider).
My Hasselblad dealer tells me that I am anal regarding my desire for the ultimate in detail in my images, and I think he is correct.
I can't describe how much I enjoy working with this wonderful gear!

Stanley

gerald.d

/note to self

Await thread where someone asks about Arca-Swiss pricing, then pile in and write a few paragraphs on how great my ALPA kit is and what amazing service I've had from the company.

stngoldberg

/note to self

Await thread where someone asks about Arca-Swiss pricing, then pile in and write a few paragraphs on how great my ALPA kit is and what amazing service I've had from the company.
I don't represent any company- I am only a satisfied customer- I am sure Alpa gear is terrific and trust me I tried to buy it from Fotocare-but after many phone calls without any satisfactory answers, I just gave up.
Although the Arca Swiss price was lower, at the time I was focused on Alpa due to a video on luminous landscape where Alpa is held in the highest esteem.
Stanley

stngoldberg

/note to self

Gerald,

I notice you are a senior member.
How do I become a senior member? I will be 74 in a few months
Stanley