The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I found Waldo!!! eModule Cloud...

jagsiva

Played with it for a while today. Quite an incredible piece of kit and for me, elevates the Arca platform to a whole new level of usability and realization of the quality of latest crop of MFDBs and tech lenses.

Usage:
You essentially pick your point of focus using the optical finder. This registers the distance. The lens is extremely fast, so focus is quite easy.

This gives a corresponding DoF for 5.6/8/1/16 for your selected lens profile. The helical can then be dialled in to match what you want, and this is displayed right below the eModule reading. Couple of impressive things here, a) the lens profile is not based on some formulae, but rather on the behaviour of the particular lens. So focus shift issues are accounted for automatically. I was focussing a 35XL at 3-4ft with incredible accuracy; b) You now have the flexibility to place you subject at any point within the DoF - again you see the both scales at the same time on the LCD, I think this is really cool, particularly when shooting at distances with wide lenses. I have never seen the IQ focus mask light up so consistently before, either with LV focus or using the helical with charts. You really appreciate the refinement of the helical focus system, the charts are far too course.

Calibration:
Lens profiles are factory loaded. Similar to the base infinity calibration for the helical, you calibrate this along with the OVF. Same thing for the built in levelling system. All DoF scales and focus information is based on a base CoC that is entered as well. Options allow for 5/6/7/8/9/10/20/30/40 microns.

Build:
Nice. A little bigger than I expected, but typical arca quality, a combination of metal and high-grade plastic. The lens in the OVF is by SK and as soon as you look through it, you realize it has some science behind it.

Usability:
Typical Arca - form follows function, no surprise there. Lots of button combinations, for setup, but once done, quite simple to use. The module can also be removed and used off camera while tethered with an RJ9 straight through cable. This would be convenient for planning your shot. Battery is a built in, weather tested rig.

Things I don't know yet and would be nice:
Multiple profiles for lenses - this would allow far more flexibility IR and other spectrum uses. Also, a user programable interface would be cool. Combining the OVF with the Arca Vario-finder would be icing on the cake! I'm sure our good friends at Arca have big plans.

This one did not have the profile for the 32HR, but the mine, that should be shipping next week will. Now that I have seen and played with it in the flesh, I am quite confident this thing is for real.

I am glad they took their time with this one. I have not experienced a more accurate focussing system -- Canon 1's, Nikons, LV etc.

Paul2660

Thanks for the info.

Couple of questions

When it's mounted on the camera can you use it as a grip? Does it lock in place?

When focusing the lens on the module is the focus adjustment easy. I assume its manual?

Thanks
Paul Caldwell

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I don't think that you've found Waldo, I think you've found the mythical Unicorn or Jimmy Hoffa ... :D

Congratulations on finally getting one. USB3 on the IQ can't be far away. :eek:

David Klepacki

I have not experienced a more accurate focussing system -- Canon 1's, Nikons, LV etc.
This is a bold claim, yes? For example, you can use live view focusing when tilting or swinging a T/S lens on a Canon or Nikon .... Basically, I am not convinced that the eModule Cloud can focus as accurately as a live view system when using lens tilt or swing. I would love to be proved wrong in this case.

jagsiva

When it's mounted on the camera can you use it as a grip? Does it lock in place?

No, it mounts on the opposite side. it is locked in, but not meant to be a grip. I find the new grip for the right side very useful though -- you can see the optional grip mounted on the camera in the pic. For the Factum, there is an adapter required.

When focusing the lens on the module is the focus adjustment easy. I assume its manual?

Yes, manual focus, but as smooth as any Leica M lens I have used. Also the ring stays in place. Once you focus, the numbers then hold, so you can take the module off for whatever reason, including any difficulty seeing the LCD. Having said this, the LCD is a green backlit style and appears to work fine in sunlight....certainly better than fighting the glare on the IQ screen for LV.

jagsiva

I don't think that you've found Waldo, I think you've found the mythical Unicorn or Jimmy Hoffa ... :D

Congratulations on finally getting one. USB3 on the IQ can't be far away. :eek:
Graham, when I was fondling, yes fondling this thing yesterday, I was thinking that it's one down, one to go for DOUG P.!! USB3 and Doug may just retire to the Himalayas with a Phase back and RM3di!

jagsiva

This is a bold claim, yes? For example, you can use live view focusing when tilting or swinging a T/S lens on a Canon or Nikon .... Basically, I am not convinced that the eModule Cloud can focus as accurately as a live view system when using lens tilt or swing. I would love to be proved wrong in this case.

I thought I would be challenged on this statement. So here are my thoughts:

1. I can based on my specific CoC, pick the point of focus - no need to judge front and back on any screen. This is key for things I do, like stand around in the middle of a farm in -25C with 30 mile winds. I need something foolproof. Even worse plopping an IQ180/Arca on a small rock off a ground-pod sitting in a Kayak! The granularity with digital confirmation is as fine as it gets.

Now T/S on LV on a Nikon on Canon, is still a back and forth exercise, and you are essentially comparing relative focus levels. I have not used T/S on DSLRs before so forgive me if I am wrong. Not withstanding the CCD limitations of the IQ180, you still have this capability within the IQ180, either with LV or post shot with focus mask.

2. I am hoping that I can have my own tables for tilt, although I suspect there will be further details coming in this area. I think Tilt/Swing would be more complex for tables, but this is not possible on the Arca body. I also feel that a tilt calculator like Tilt Calculator which I use, now now has more rigour because your subject/distance focus is more accurate

3. As stated in my wishlist, I would like to see the ability for multiple data sets per lens. User programmable would be even better. This opens a whole other set of possibilities for IR for me.

Don't get me wrong. I am quite excited about this thing, as I am of any cleverly engineered device. I do believe that this gives you a highly, repeatable and calibrated, lens/sensor specific, mechanism to focus on a particular plane within a DoF range for the CoC/subject distance/Aperture.

But I do apologize if I am being a little fan boyish - albeit a long way from the Alpa groupies :ROTFL:

gazwas

Gareth, it provides the helical position back to the eModule.
So am I correct in thinking by focusing the optical finder on the cloud module, the resulting distance/lens helical settings are displayed on the cloud LCD together with aperture distance scales like on the barrels supplies with Arca lenses?

If so, why does the cloud need to know the camera helical position?

jagsiva

Gareth,

When you focus the eModule on your subject, it gives you the DoF for f5.6/8/9/11 along with what the Helical setting should be for your subject distance/lens profile/CoC

Right below this, there an index showing where the helical is set at, so you just turn the helical until you are at the same number. I guess you could look at the helical itself, but remember that you have now calibrated infinity on the module, so it is giving you the "effective" setting. It's digital readout is also more granular than the markings on the helical and gives you the option of working from behind the camera.

From a practical perspective, you can look at the eModule cloud and know DoF you're at as well.

gazwas

Wow, that is really well thought out!

Do you think it will give you enough confidence to use the 100% focus check on the IQ backs less/at all?

Is there an official price for these yet?

jagsiva

Gareth, based on what I saw yesterday, yes, for sure. Like I said, I have never seen the IQ mask light up so consistently for me before. One of the coolest features was how it takes focus shift into account, especially critical at close distances.

For pricing, it is listed on Arca-magasin at 1350 Euro, which usually end up costing us in NA about 1800-1900$. Again don't take this to be absolute.

BTW, I see wheels turning about perhaps hanging on to your P65+ :)

how do you focus through the module?

is there a split screen or a magnified view?
it's supposed to be difficult to focus accurate manually for 80 mpx without any additional support like focus indicator etc. :rolleyes:

also some of us have to wear glasses - how about that, what do you think?

jagsiva

It is designed like a scope, so you are right on whatever you need to focus on. Again, it was extremely accurate for me.

I do where glasses, and did not have any issue.

jagsiva

BTW, this is one of those things that needs to be experienced first-hand to see if it fits your style and needs. You really should work with a dealer and get a full demo of a unit.