The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I found Waldo!!! eModule Cloud...

stngoldberg

I signed up for one of these several years ago-hopefully I am in line to get one soon-patience is a virtue but really!!!!
Stanley

BTW, this is one of those things that needs to be experienced first-hand to see if it fits your style and needs. You really should work with a dealer and get a full demo of a unit.
yes you are right, unfortunately the next dealer who could have arca equipment on stock is about 1000km/621miles away :cry:

cs750

It is my understanding that it is best if the eModule Cloud you order comes factory set for your specific lens kit. I would not think one would want to send the eModule back each time they added a new lens; so, it may be a good idea to have a clear vision of your final lens kit when you order.

I was at B3K Digital on Friday and saw this unit too!

Pretty amazing precision, but it does have the feel of a "version 1.0" (or even 0.9).

Don't get me wrong, it works, and works very well, but it's big and clunky and has several un-labelled buttons and LEDs, and the LCD screen in this particular unit was crooked. That said, after using it for myself, I ordered mine right away.

Martin, from A-S needs to invest in an engraving machine. Lenses and focusing masks with stickers and un-labelled buttons on a $2000 range-finder is kind of sad. I'm planning on getting everything engraved eventually.

If you think the looks of the Rm3di are about an 8, and an Alpa is about a 10, then I'd say the e-module Cloud is about a 4. It reminds me of something out of Soviet Russia...very well built and meant to last a life-time, but not much time spent on industrial design. It could probably also double as a blunt weapon in a pinch and would look right at home as a missile aiming device.

...but it's hard to argue with results! And at "only" $2000, it's a lot cheaper than upgrading to an IQ back for the mediocre live-view.

In 5 or 10 years down the line, if/when live-view is just as good as (or better than) current pro DSLRs, I think this e-module will likely become obsolete. But, if A-S adds VarioFinder functionality (with parallax adjustment) and in-viewfinder focus confirmation, then I'm not so sure.

But in the mean time, I'm looking forward to getting mine soon!

J R

Last edited:

jagsiva

It is my understanding that it is best if the eModule Cloud you order comes factory set for your specific lens kit. I would not think one would want to send the eModule back each time they added a new lens; so, it may be a good idea to have a clear vision of your final lens kit when you order.
There is a micro SD card that your dealer can reprogram for new lenses. As far as I understand, you swap the SD when you get the new lens. I would still prefer a proper user updatable USB solution, but this sounds quite workable.

cs750

That sounds like a workable solution...at least better than mailing the whole thing in. Dare I ask how long it will take to get one of these upon placing an order?

f8orbust

It's certainly an interesting addition to the RM3d/i - but I can't help thinking it just adds a bit too much bulk for my liking. And it's another thing to carry, another thing to get broken.

Odd that when the RM3d/i was introduced, it was touted as a camera that did away with the need to focus visually (albeit with a groundglass).

Looks like the wheel (or should that be the helical) has almost turned full circle.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
In 5 or 10 years down the line, if/when live-view is just as good as (or better than) current pro DSLRs, I think this e-module will likely become obsolete. But, if A-S adds VarioFinder functionality (with parallax adjustment) and in-viewfinder focus confirmation, then I'm not so sure
Even ideal live view (i.e. 5D3 on a big monitor) cannot do as precise/repeatable a job of hyperfocal focusing as the Arca can (by sheer accuracy and tensility of the helical mount). With the eModule indicating hyperfocal in real time and with the same precision/reliability this is now arbitrarily easy (once you or a dealer dial everything in calibration wise).

For selective/isolation focus I agree that perfect live view would supersede the utility of the eModule. Though if/when there are backs with such capability there will likely be a ton of backs without it on the market for decades to come (based on the continued use of older backs like the H25 which doesn't even have an LCD).

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
So, pardon the dumb question, but how do you know exactly what it is focusing on?

update: err, scratch that, I see that this time around they've added an optical component. The versions I saw before were ultrasonic only. I never did see how that was going to work properly and in fact it didn't. This looks much better.

RodK

Gerald, et al,
You focus as you would if looking through a telescope. It is telephoto allowing you to look at less than the whole image you will be photographing in most setups. It is a multi-coated lens so has excellent contrast and even in low light is quite easy to focus.
when you have focused the lens sharply on whatever you chose to focus on, the distance is indicated on the back of the module. If you are plugged in to the body of the camera, the distance of the object you focused on is indicated and where the camera is focused is shown just below so that you can then rotate the focus helical to match the numbers. Or you could focus the nearest object you want sharp and note the distance, then focus the farthest and note that distance, then rotate the helical until both distances are encompassed on the DOF indicators below. You can then see what aperture or apertures are available for your use on the composed image.
The NP-near and FP-far plane distances are indicated, as someone explained above, for F5.6, 8, 11, and 16. These are continuosly variable as you move the focus helical.
The module will be supplied with a simm which is pre-programed at the rep or dealer. When ordering you should indicate which lenses you have and perhaps one or 2 you are considering in the future. If you do purchase something different, the simm could be exchanged or purchased with the additional lenses included.
One other thing: The focus off set for your digital back can be programmed into the module as well, making the adding of numbers unnecessary from the setting shown on the back of the emodule. Please feel free to contact me if any questions as I have been using and playing with a sonar emodule for over a year and have found it quite useful.
There are also new focus charts as well, so if you would like them, send me an email and I can send you a PDF or new cards if you like. I have most lens charts now since Friday.
We just got some new data from Rodenstock and Schneider.
Hope this helps.
Rod

Last edited:

cly

Rod,

thanks for the explanation. Much clearer now but I still don't understand it completely:

Can you 'swing' the eModule while it's attached to the camera body or how does it work if, within your chosen frame, you want to focus on something else? It seems to me that it's firmly attached to the body but in this case one would have to select the new point of focus by moving the camera and hence changing the setup.

Chris

gerald.d

Gerald, et al,
You focus as you would if looking through a telescope. It is telephoto allowing you to look at less than the whole image you will be photographing in most setups. It is a multi-coated lens so has excellent contrast and even in low light is quite easy to focus.
Thanks Rod - I think this is the bit that I struggle with. I was attempting to manually focus the Mamiya 300mm f/2.8 on a Phase One AF recently (quite close to minimum focus distance) and found it really tough - even with the focus confirmation, I had to shoot and then fine-tune manually based on what I saw from the focus mask and then zooming in 100%.

Clearly though from reports, this module works really well, so I guess it's just one of those things that you need to experience for yourself to appreciate.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

RodK

Rod,

thanks for the explanation. Much clearer now but I still don't understand it completely:

Can you 'swing' the eModule while it's attached to the camera body or how does it work if, within your chosen frame, you want to focus on something else? It seems to me that it's firmly attached to the body but in this case one would have to select the new point of focus by moving the camera and hence changing the setup.

Chris
To do what you suggest, you would use it as a range finder first, hand held, and determine your distances for, say, near and farthest items you wanted to be sharp. Then connect the module to the camera and set focus so that DOF covers the distances of the objects selected at the appropriate Aperture.
Otherwise it would be as you suggest a composition issue. The cloud negates the need for say a Disto rangefinder as it both can do the RF's job and then can be used to set the camera's focus.
Hope this helps.
Rod

gazwas

It seems to me that it's firmly attached to the body but in this case one would have to select the new point of focus by moving the camera and hence changing the setup.
You mean basically like every other focusing camera on the market? ;)

Every tripod head I own has a pan function so don't know why focus then recompose seems like such an issue. Possibly focus the camera first before final framing tweaks?

David Klepacki

The cloud negates the need for say a Disto rangefinder as it both can do the RF's job and then can be used to set the camera's focus.
I think this statement depends on the level of accuracy that you require. If you are shooting a general landscape with wide angle lenses, then what you say here is probably true in most cases. However, if you really need to have a specific plane of focus to be its sharpest (for example, to extract all the nuances of micro-texture within a facade) or in situations with longer focal length lenses, then there is no substitute for a laser like the Disto, which is accurate to within 2mm out to distances of 200m.

As someone already pointed out, such optical accuracy is not possible. As Arca-Swiss already acknowledges, accurate focus depends on accurate distance measurement, which is the raison d'etre for their RM3di camera. So, the more accurate your distance measurement is, the more accurate your plane of focus will be.

As you know, I am a long time user of the RM3di camera and love to use it whenever I can. I rely on the Disto for accurate distance measurements and can repeatedly nail my plane of focus, whether near or far.

torger

I think focus distance accuracy has become a bit over-appreciated, maybe through Alpa's marketing or something. With small apertures in applications such as landscape and architecture the DoF hides minor errors. A laser distance meter is considerably more accurate than what the high precision helical focus can do, it simply overkill, but is of course a really convenient tool anyway.

David Klepacki

Torger, what you say above is simply not true. (If it were true, then by your logic there would be no point in Alpa being able to shim a digital back with shims as thin as 0.01mm.) Being able to accurately position the lens relative to the sensor is absolutely critical to achieving a sharp focal plane.

The fact is that focusing accuracy is critically dependent on distance accuracy, to the degree to which the focusing helical of the camera/lens is capable. In the case of the Rm3di, its helical focus has a linear accuracy of roughly 7 microns, the most accurate helical focus that I am aware, at least for commercially available photography. So, a laser distance meter like the Leica Disto is NOT overkill at all, at least for the RM3di, but actually necessary to achieve the highest focusing precision that it allows. On the other hand, the optical focusing accuracy of the eModule Cloud is nowhere near that of such a laser distance meter, and therefore you will not have as accurate of a distance measurement with it.

gazwas

Torger, what you say above is simply not true.
On the contrary David, I think Torger has a very valid point.

I shoot an Arca R and have never felt the need for laser distance measurement with wide lenses and small apertures. I use the guesstimation distance measurement method in combination with hyper focal measurements and have never suffered from soft photographs. I often feel digital lenses accurately focused are sometimes too sharp. The Arca Cloud module is a great tool that would be a great addition to simplify focusing with less of the guess.

I know that Martin at Arca would never release a product he didn't feel was not accurate enough and it seems designed with the landsacape/Architecture shooter in mind rather than the studio photographer who might need different closer focusing methods.