The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

So much for debate..

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
If you feel the moderation of this forum doesn't fit your notions ... start your own. That is exactly what Jack and Guy did ... and did a damned good job of it compared to most any other on the internet :thumbup:

-Marc
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Thank you sir, very well said! But the caliber of participant is paramount to a forum being good, and by far I believe we have the best participants on the entire net -- yes, take a minute to all pat yourselves on your backs! We may over moderate by some folks standards, but we do it to keep trolling and pedantry at a minimum. Based on the plethora of supporting comments we receive relative to a very few complaints, I'd say our mods AND REGULAR PARTICIPANTS are doing a stellar job. Kudos to both :D

Ed Hurst

I find some of the discussion around 'autocracy' or free debate a little misplaced in this context. When we are discussing a free press, the operation of an electoral system or any discourse that is publically owned, we are quite right to expect total freedom of speech (with all of the good and bad things that leads to). However, this forum is not a voting system or a presidential debate. It is a private place to which others are invited, rather like being asked into someone's private home. Would we stand up, puff out or chests, and demand our right to say whatever we want in a private house? Or would we recognise that we have been invited into someone's space, communicate respectfully and recognise the house owner's right to ask us to leave whenever they feel like it? That is not the act of an autocrat because we have no right to be in someone else's house. We are there by invitation. We can, of course, leave and that is our total right. That's as far as it goes. So that doesn't make the owner a dictator or a bully - it just means they are making their house the sort of place they want it to be, and we can share in it (if we choose to) as long as the owners keep wanting us there.

That's how I see it anyway...

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
This is our mission statement . Pretty much sums it up

"A place to exchange ideas, techniques, experiences AND images,
where the discussions are fun, respectful and geared toward the goal of
helping each other improve all aspects of our photography."

Forum rule Number 1

1) Keep your discussions polite, fun and on topic. In short, act like you would at a friend's dinner party. Arguing, rudeness, generally poor or negative behavior will be dealt with at moderator discretion as they see fit. This may result in the offending post(s) or entire thread(s) being deleted with or without explanation, and/or the offending poster(s) being banned or having their accounts suspended or erased. Note that broader topical and emotional latitude is tolerated in the "Sunset Bar" forum, but decisions on thread or post appropriateness remain at moderator discretion there as well.

It's pretty damn simple. Polite

malmac

I notice on the Forum home page that the Medium Format department has something like3500 threads, 87,000+ posts and then when you click into the threads I see that the thread "Fun with MF images has a whopping 784,000 views.

It seems that those of us who own or aspire to own MF gear like to check in. I know I do.

I think the whole, "MF is dead" message may tell us more about those who post these messages than MF in general.

Thank you to Jack, Guy, Bob and any others who make this Forum happen.

Now I'm off to see what Don, Ed, Dan and the others have posted today.

Regards

Mal (IQ180, 645DF, Cambo WDS and Canon)

Guy Mancuso

Honestly I have been looking at another forum today no names here but it has turned into a major mess because the moderation is simply not done. As much as I like to help people I can't even post there anymore without being hammered by some real rudeness. It's no fun it's off topic wildly and is just damn not respectfully to anyone posting an opinion or different view.

Trust me that is not what you want here.

Oh no names. I'm not after hurting any forum. It's there home they do what they want.

HenryDove

As a bit of a lurker here. I have to say that I really value this forum for the MF specific tips and advice it offers, not to mention the inspiration which so many posters here offer with their photos - simply stunning, and I a left in awe and the drive to try harder myself with what I have. No other forum I've encountered is as good for this, for which I am extremely grateful to Guy, Jack and Bob - more power to your collective elbow, Gentleman! I a much more interested in learning how to get the best out of what I've spent an unnecessary fortune on, rather than reading why something which wasn't available many years ago is better (sic). For me, the image 'fun with' threads are fantastic and truly inspirational - thank to you all, and I hope to post some of my pics at some stage when the day job allows e time to do what I love doing.
As Jack pointed out, it's the very lack of opinionated (doubtless sincerely held) polemic which makes this site for many - so moderate away!
Henry

Another thing I notice is that the more conflictual threads eat up a lot of time...and then I find myself continuing the argument in my head later in the day when I should be doing something productive... So, thank you Moderators for giving us our lives back!

goesbang

Alternatively, you could become a lawyer and have a multitude of opportunities every day for meaningless arguments. Then, you would not feel the need to argue endlessly about the D800 v. MFD.
Haha! Would you believe I got halfway through law school when I realized I really wanted to be a photographer and so dropped out and did a degree in photography instead? It seems the opportunities for heated argument are dogging me....

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Oh my word. That (now deleted) post was an absolute classic!
Yes it was a classic whine. It paralleled either the, "Wahhhh, I'm taking my ball and going home!" we all head in grade school, or another famous classic for most Californian's over the age of 50, "GetDPI won't have me to kick around anymore!"

:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Ed Hurst

It was absolutely hilarious - if it hadn't been so absurd, it would have been an interesting case study for behavioural science ;-)

Here's to a more constructive atmosphere again...

Guy Mancuso

I can still read it. It was classic alright. Just not sure which category it falls under. Oh never mind .