The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

fat pixel digital backs

bensonga

I'm imagining the ultimate Fat Pixel back for Hasselblad V-system owners.....a full square, 9 micron sensor which would be approximately 36 megapixels (just based on the 1.5 lens factor of the CFV-16). :D

Gary

mmbma

Ideally if HY6 systems are doing better, back manufactures would've created the 6x6 digital backs. It would be incredible.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
I'm imagining the ultimate Fat Pixel back for Hasselblad V-system owners.....a full square, 9 micron sensor which would be approximately 36 megapixels (just based on the 1.5 lens factor of the CFV-16). :D

Gary
Oh yes Gary , dreams , dreams which I sometimes Dream as well .

torger

It can be done, it was done with Dicomed Bigshot in the 90's (it was even 60x60mm), the color version was $55K.

Unfortunately there's probably not a market for making a $50-$60K back to use with $3K vintage cameras... it would surely be nice images though.

Hy6 is modern and has the image circle though, so the tiny hope is that enough systems are sold to make DHW strong enough to make this happen. Sinar is a small player that can do digital backs, so one does not have to be Phase One to make it happen...

Mammy645

I really wish MFD would have evolved into larger sensors instead of just an increase in MP. Give me a 6x6 sensor for my Hassy and a 6x7 sensor for my rz67, even with 22-40 MP, and I would be in heaven.

mmbma

All eyes on Leaf with their HY6 commitment. Can't be that hard. The large CCDs sensors are pieced together by smaller CCDs anyway. I have a feeling that the next generation Credos are going to have a 6x6 option.

mmbma

got an offer for a P21 back. It's been used heavily, almost 60k actuations now, but for a good price. How is the P21, and should I expect the back to fall apart at this usage?

Mammy645

got an offer for a P21 back. It's been used heavily, almost 60k actuations now, but for a good price. How is the P21, and should I expect the back to fall apart at this usage?
Seeing how digital backs have no mechanical parts the number of actuations should be irrelevant. If it looks like it's been well taken care of and the sensor is clean go for it.

MaxKißler

Sometimes I use my back as I would use a polaroid back. A great way to save some $ on film. Like this shot:

Almost no retouching done here.

EH21

The king of the FAT 9um pixel backs has to be the imacon/hasselblad ixpress CF 528. This is the multishot and micro step version with the capability to write to a CF card without the imagebank. It's got a nice display on the back as well.
They are sometimes found with the CF-22MS label but overall pretty rare.

My understanding is the best of the lot sensor chips were reserved for the multishot backs.

Mulitshot works for limited subjects but still the quality is amazing. The CF 528 can produce a 10,800 by 8080 pixel file in true non interpolated color. Dynamic range is 1.5 - 2stops better in multishot mode than single shot mode.

I have an 80mp back for my Rollei (AFi-ii 12) but have kept my CF 528 to use for special projects.

Douglas Fairbank

I didn't have a good experience with the CF39 on my 503cw. One the looks didn't Jive but most importantly I couldnet get that back to be very sharp. I thought it was a calibration issue but others have experienced the same. The older bodies are not that precise so there are a lot of sample variation I feel
Did you get the camera body calibrated? Hasselblad in the UK used to offer that as free service for buyers of the CFV. Never to late to get it done.

torger

The large CCDs sensors are pieced together by smaller CCDs anyway.
Actually they are not, i e there is one big chunk of silicon wafer than needs to be error free (hence exponential cost increase with larger sensors), but you do see a "stitching pattern" on the sensor as it is exposed in multiple sections, i e no machine can expose large enough to cover the whole sensor area in one exposure.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Here an image taken with HASSELBLAD 905SWC + CFV16 .
I love the color rendering of that "fat pixel" back .
Some getdpi members might already know this image .
It was to proof , that the CFV-16 can also be used for architecture photography .:salute:

MaxKißler

Beautiful shot Max!:thumbup:

Which back and camera did you use for this one?
Hi Gary, I'm using a Leaf Aptus 22 on an RZ67. I can't remember whether this was shot with either the non Apo 250mm W or the old 140mm Macro. Too bad that no lens data is recorded though. A feature I never really cared about but now totally miss with this combo...

Maybe you have seen some images I posted in another thread to show the modification I did to the finder. I'm using a loupe that magnifies only the db crop lines in the center of my beattie intenscreen. so focussing is really easy btw.

KeithL

Here an image taken with HASSELBLAD 905SWC + CFV16 .
I love the color rendering of that "fat pixel" back .
Some getdpi members might already know this image .
It was to proof , that the CFV-16 can also be used for architecture photography
Hey, Jürgen, remember it well!

mmbma

I sold it. I know they use the same sensor but I prefer the CFV look on my 503cw (of course!)

Hunting for another one now
Did you get the camera body calibrated? Hasselblad in the UK used to offer that as free service for buyers of the CFV. Never to late to get it done.