The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

fat pixel digital backs

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Erik,

These are just great images and just go to prove that mega pixels aren't as important as we often think that they are. Many of my favorite images come from my DCS645M 16mp back, just like the P21+ here.

That said, yes I'm fortunate enough to have the 100MP monster but I don't kid myself that it necessarily means that my images will be better. Actually, scratch that, colour is immediately obviously better but acuity? Maybe not.

So yes, I'm still a fan and even when I've had higher resolution backs I've bought P25+ backs twice and probably will again.

Oh, and regardless of camera that's a superb image. :)

Last edited:

bensonga

40+ years ago I bought my first medium format camera, a well used Mamiya C220 TLR. I've owned one or more Mamiya cameras ever since. I still have three Mamiya TLRs, a 7II and a RZ67 ProIID. Also a couple of Mamiya 645s (AFDII for film now and a soon to arrive Mamiya DF for the P25+). All have been excellent cameras and lenses for my purposes. I expect there will still be a few Mamiya cameras and lenses in my camera bag when my time here on earth is done.

Gary

Mamiya 645 AFDII, 55mm lens, Phase One P25+ shot in late afternoon light at f2.8

Deltona

Having had the Mamiya 645 df and P21+ for a few weeks what a change its made to my photography. Such a joy to be using a analogue camera with a digital back. Operation is so simple, I praised Fuji when I started to use their cameras x100, Xpro 1, and the Xt1 but alas the latest cameras are becoming much more menu driven, which I tend to dislike. I always liked the Fuji colour and the files were outstanding. However since using the 645 the simplicity is wonderful. The whole image taking experience is a joy. The back delivers incredible colour although limited in ISO performance means the tripod is now in full time use.

Working on the files takes little or no time to render something printable. I'm using Lightroom and Adobe raw, not quite got into the whole Capture scene. The only thing on my mind is the wide angle I need something wider than 45mm. So either the 35mm or the 28mm, the 28mm seems the better bet but i've heard this is quite a marmite lens? I thought about picking up a manual 35mm as the AF on wide angle isn't that much of an issue for me. Any thoughts from anyone? Lastly I am in love with the 210mm this is a fine lens, but carting it around on the 645 body has made me think i need invest in a gun bearer :)

Heres a few more images, the top one is a 3 image pano shot on the 210mm, images below shot on the 80mm and 45mm.

Attachments

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Great images . Wonderful light .Thanks for showing . :thumbs:
Unfortunately I traded in my CFV-16 . Today I think it was a mistake :banghead: and I can't find a good replacement again .

bensonga

We have already received as much snow this winter (with 3 months still to go) as we did for the entire winter seasons in 2014-15 and 2015-16. In the past 10 days about 2 feet of new snow has fallen at my house. The skiers are certainly happier this year.

I don't particularly enjoy shoveling it or the winter driving conditions on my 18 mile commute to work, so I am looking forward to the day when I retire and spend at least part of the winters further south.

The P25+ wasn't really required to take these pics, but I charged the batteries yesterday and hope to get out this weekend to take a few photos, so what the heck.

Gary

P25+, Mamiya 645DF, 80mm f2.8 AF lens. Converted to B&W with SilverEfex Pro.

Last edited:

bensonga

I just modified Dallmeyer lens to shutter, It's a close up lens 5:1 magnification,and first images with Leaf Aptus-75
Beautiful images! I searched the Web looking for more information about this Dallmeyer Profile lens, but couldn't find anything.

Gary

newbie, great site, i am thinking about getting a hasselblad cfv50c ii if one comes out , but looking at the fat pixel photos do i need to spend $10,000+, i have a 501 cm 9 lens, thinking about getting a cambo actus db2 or piecing together a cambo wds, so what is the best alternative fpb to seek out for my set ups , landscape, architecture, product, people are my photo interests. mike

bensonga

newbie, great site, i am thinking about getting a hasselblad cfv50c ii if one comes out , but looking at the fat pixel photos do i need to spend $10,000+, i have a 501 cm 9 lens, thinking about getting a cambo actus db2 or piecing together a cambo wds, so what is the best alternative fpb to seek out for my set ups , landscape, architecture, product, people are my photo interests. mike
Welcome to GetDPI Mike. There are others here with much more experience re medium format digital backs (MFDB) than me, so I'll let them respond with solid info. From my own perspective and limited experience, I think there are still great photos to be made with older MFDB, including the "fat pixel" digital backs, as long as you don't need high ISO and can live with their limitations. All you need to do is look at some of the great photos here and on the "Fun with MF Images" thread taken with MFDBs that are a few generations old. Prices on these older MDDB have fallen substantially in just the past year, so there is something for every budget and you certainly don't need to spend $10k+ on a MFDB for your 500cm and legacy V system lenses.

Here is just one example for sale on GetDPI of a Phase One DB that would fit your 500cm. I'm sure there are others FS here on GetDPI, at Capture Integration, Digital Transitions or on eBay etc.

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/gear-fs-or-wtb/58413-fs-phase-one-p45-hasselblad-v-mount.html

Good luck finding a MFDB solution that fits your interests, needs and budget.

Gary Benson
CFV-16II, P25+, 645D and soon an Aptus II 5

Last edited:

bensonga

Here is a photo of the entire building. Processed in ColorEfex with the Kodachrome 64 filter.

Gary

P25+, 645AFD II, 55mm AF lens