The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Thoughts on Rodi 35, 45 & 55 Sironar on P45+

Chris Beards

I would be interested any thoughts on the suitability of using the Rodenstock 35, 45 or 55 Apo Sironar Digital lenses on a Phase P45+.
I realise these are the early non HR versions but would they be ok with the P45+'s fat pixels.
I am looking for architectural use so movements would be needed.
Despite the recent heated debates on the site to the contrary I have decided to dip a toe into the River Styx which is medium format digital.

Welcome Chris,
I can assure you that despite all the debates, you are making the right move! Most people on here would tell you not to go for the older lenses if you ever plan on moving to a bigger back later on. I would agree, the prices of those lenses keep getting cheaper and cheaper, which would give you quite a loss in the long run. The newer HR lenses, on the other hand, will probably go up in price. Just as with 35mm, put your money in glass, you won't regret it.
Another option may be Schneider lenses, they seem to be reasonably affordable. I just sold my 35SK apo-digitar for only 3650 with center filter in Alpa mount.
But if you can afford it, I would highly recommend the HR lenses. I choose to have just two lenses, 32HR and 90HR. With less lenses in my lineup I am able to get very comfortable with the two, knowing their limits and strongpoints.

Either way, welcome! You won't regret moving to medium format!

torger

The 35 is no disaster but not great (tested it myself on a 33 megapixel back, and also heard criticism from others), it's noticeably fuzzy in the corners if you pixel peep; the 55 I've not tested myself but heard that it should be good. Don't know anything about the 45.

It all depends on your expectations though, I recommend you to look at test images if you can. Even if looking at the same image one person may consider it "perfectly okay" while an other may say it is "unacceptable".

Hi Chris, welcome!

You won't regret your journey into Hades with us. I bought a P45+ last year and have simply been blown away by the quality of images from it, not to mention the very different shooting style that I've come to really appreciate and enjoy.

I only have experience of Schneider lenses on the P45+ - the 24XL and the 35XL. Both are extremely good, sharp edge-to-edge with exceptionally accurate rendering of straight lines - excellent for architecture. I have centre filters on both. The 35XL has a large image circle and is great for stitching shots to make 70MPixel images. Both lenses have a hyperfocal sweet spot that keeps everything front to back sharp - I rarely need to focus either of them.

Downsides? No movements on 24 and susceptibility to flare, especially with the centre filters. Also both require an expensive Kapture Group shutter release when used with the P45+ - as will other lenses. Watch this - they cost £300 or so each.