The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Conundrum

SFJ Photo

I've been using 35mm digital for quite some time now. I also have had an RB67 Pro-S and still use a 4x5 though only shoot B&W film. The biggest draw to a medium format back is dynamic range, color, finer detail and the ability to use the 4x5 with a digital option. I currently have a 1DsMkIII and it works well. What I miss is have a larger viewfinder ( I manually focus pretty much everything). I find it hard to get the focus where I want it all the time. Also color rendition depending on the subject can be close to horrific at times. I'll be keeping the Canon and the 180 3.5, 85 1.2, and a Tokina 16-28 2.8.
My work encompasses landscape, fashion, portraiture, architecture, and still life.
I regularly make prints 24x36 and panos up 24x72.
I've found an Aptus22 back and a Mamiya 645 AFD for $3650, will this serve me well or should I opt for something more?
Budget is always a factor so I hope to keep it around 6k.

Thanks,

BANKER1

If you're asking about 22 MP being a large enough file to print that large, I don't think you will have a problem. My 22 MP back prints 24X36 that completely satisfies my needs. However, others may have different experiences or a more discerning eye. You would be well served by printing a file from the back and judging for yourself.

Greg

SFJ Photo

I was just trying to give some light into how I would be using the system. I'm really hoping to find some more information from those with Digital back experience as all my medium/large format camera use has been on film. I found an Aptus22 as well as a few Hasselblad H3d-39's and an h3dII-31 I was considering. I'm leery of the H-body due mostly to the cost of glass. Even renting them is costly. So I was leaning more toward the Mamiya system since autofocus isn't really a concern for me as I don't ever really use it on my 1DsMkIII.
I'm mostly seeking some advice, as I've read so much that I'm hoping to find some real world experience to help make some sense of it all.

fotografz

I can share some personal experiences to see if it can help ... either that, or expand the conundrum :)

In the territory you are exploring, I've use a Hasselblad H2D/22, and also used a Leaf 22 meg back that I upgraded to a 33 meg Leaf Aptus 7S back on a Mamiya AFD-II. I also used that Aptus 7 back on a Mamiya 67 Pro-II.

22 meg backs feature the renowned look and feel of the so called 9 micron "Fat Pixels. Lovely color and rendering ... obviously, more or less depending on the optics used. The drawbacks are less resolution IF you crop, lower ISO performance compared to later sensors, and possible Moiré with fabrics, or tight spatial patterns of distant architectural details.

Personally, I did not find the Mamiya 645 (or any 645) any easier to critically focus than a 35mm DSLR, in fact a bit harder. While the viewfinder is bigger, the task of focusing is more critical. To realize the benefits of Medium Format Digital, technique has to be flawless ... and that especially includes focusing. I tended to prefer waist level finders with their flip-up magnifiers like the one on the Mamiya 67 Pro-II. I also added a flip magnifier to the finder of the Mamiya AFD-II (which is fixed, so no waist level option was possible).

Lenses: For the price range you are seeking, I think the Mamiya 67 lenses will give you way more optical bang for the buck across the focal length range. I found the Mamiya 67 lenses particularly well suited to the 22 and 33meg Leaf backs. Of course the tradeoff here is that a 22 or 33 meg back on the RB/RZ produces a crop factor of 1.5X and reduces the FOV of any wide angle. However, many who do landscapes and other subjects requiring really wide vistas simply stitch a few frames together. For people shooting, it isn't an issue.

-Marc

SFJ Photo

I ended up finding an H3dII-31 for 6k and picked it up. After what I've heard from others and read on here, I figured it would be my best bet for fitting my needs. Thanks for the help everyone.