The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Acceptable Hasselblad Lenses!

pophoto

Hi,

I wanted to ask Hasselblad users which of the current lenses are recommended and which ones to stay clear of. If ALL are good, so be it :)

Any experience welcome, but would love to hear from anyone who has used the 200MS with product and portrait shots and share their experience.

Thank you,
Po

Douglas Fairbank

They are all good! Some are better than others for certain applications. They all use the same shutters, in the case of the H lenses there are a smaller and larger version of that shutter.
Read the opinions of users within this forum that use the lenses in the same situations as you will be using and read the MTF data published on the Hasselblad website.
You can take a portrait with a 200MS of course, in single shot!

fotografz

Hi Po,

The digital era HCD-28/4 and presumably the HCD-24/4.5, hold up well with the higher meg count backs (presuming you employ the DAC corrections in Phocus and Lightroom).

Same for the HCD/35-90/4-5.6 Zoom ... a newer digital design that is very good through the zoom range, but is big and cannot be used on the HTS/1.5 unit.

The newer 50/3.5 MK-II version is excellent and a big improvement over the film era 50mm it replaces. Hasselblad has recently introduced an optical close-up adapter that can be used on a number of H lenses, but was optimized specifically for the newer 50/3.5 MK-II lens. IMO, this is now one of the best lenses in the H system.

The HC-100/2.2 is a much sought after optic for the H system, but can exhibit CA shot wide-open ... not sure how this would do on a 200MS.

The newer HC-120/4 MK-II Macro has allegedly been tweaked for better close-up acuity and less de-fraction at smaller apertures ... although it is hard to find specific information that details this lens' optical performance in comparison to the HC-120/4 lens it replaces ... (perhaps someone else knows?)

The HC-150/3.2N is a tweaked updated version of the previous HC-150/3.2, and is a superb all around portrait lens.

The HC-210/4 is the sleeper lens in the system that is not much discussed, but IMHO is also one of the best lenses Hasselblad offers for the H system ... either that, or I have a freakishly good copy.

RE: Multi-Shots ... for portraits, and any other none static subject or scene, you will be using the single shot mode ... so the 50 Multi-Shot and 200 Multi-Shot would be the same as using a straight 50 meg back. The 50 Multi-Shot does not increase the meg count, so doesn't differ from a 50 single shot in terms of resolution ... it just captures each color separately by means of the 4 micro-step back. The 6 micro-step 200MS does increase acuity, although I do not quite grasp how it all works to do that.

-Marc

Dustbak

The 210 is a very good lens, I have one too.

The 50II is supposedly even better optically with the macro adapter than without it! I already have the macro adapter, now I just need to get the MkII :)

I agree with Douglas with maybe the exception of the 50MkI and the 35. Both of these I would say are weaker lenses than the others.

I have the 120Macro MkI and find it weak sometimes close-up wit small apertures (f16). Allegedly the MkII is better here which is for me a reason to eventually switch to the MkII.

I really like my 100, have grown to like the 80.

I also like both the zoom lenses. Not sure which one I prefer, the 50-110 is large and has slower AF but is very sharp. The 35-90 is lighter, faster AF.

I would not be afraid to use any of the lenses if I needed something in a particular focal length.

donaldt

stay away from the HC 50mm MK I, I would say 150mm MK I is a lens you can ignore as well, these are two lenses I had for less than a few months
other than that, 28mm, 100mm, 210mm are superb
120mm MK I and 80mm are fine, 35mm was alright
I would say just buy the focal length you need, and stay away from the older versions, if there is a MK II it is there for a reason