The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The 9 micron sensor: Magic or Myth?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jack,
Looks like you did a lot of work, however hate to say your test is near meaningless without using a scientific study that can provide quantitative results - something like Imatest to accurately check Dynamic range, Color accuracy, and sharpness.
Hi Eric:

Sorry you found it all meaningless, though it wasn't a "test" as you indicated but rather a comparison... Indeed Imatest is great for pixel-peep tests, and I used to do that kind of testing, however I now prefer drawing my conclusions by viewing real-world shots since at the end of the day that's how most *paying clients* judge my images. Thus I will leave scientific analysis for other folks to perform. And please feel free to post any of your own scientific test findings on the forum!

Cheers,

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
The philosophical question is:
If something cannot be seen does it exist?
Perhaps it does, but does it matter?

OTOH, I was thinking of posting last night the Fourier convolutions necessary to properly describe the relationship between the lens MTF surface and the spatial frequency comb filter characteristics of the sensor as well as the transformations necessary to put it on paper assuming inkjet technology, with comparisons, of course, with the resolving capability of the human eye with a side dissertation on viewing distance and how spatial excitation frequency is modified by the effects of subject magnification caused by attempts to match subject height to various sensor sizes. Anyway I wrote the damn thing down in the margin of the book I was reading, but somehow this morning I find that I have misplaced it.
-bob

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Damn Bob how about some bloody English . Good or Bad.:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

I could not resist

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Guy,
I thought I would leave out the bits about frequency dependent sharpening and my opinions on the characteristics of various printing media and surface characteristics and their effects on imaging system MTF to the standard observer, and comparisons of several de-Bayering algorithms just to simplify things a bit.

Or, you could take the approach of looking at the damn thing and seeing if it looks good or not.
-bob

Last edited:

LJL

Bob,
Careful, you have egregiously omitted the differential characteristics of color in the spectrum and how that is/is not successfully resolved ;-)

(Honestly, your description of your marginal annotations had me laughing also....great sense of humor and perspective.)

LJ

P.S. Eric, I for one am NOT beating up on your comments over Jack's testing, but it sure did feel like cold water being tossed on a comfy glowing fire. I would rather see the glowing flames than all the thick choking smoke ;-)

Guy Mancuso

Guy,
I thought I would leave out the bits about frequency dependent sharpening and my opinions on the characteristics of various printing media and surface characteristics and their effects on imaging system MTF to the standard observer, and comparisons of several de-Bayering algorithms just to simplify things a bit.

Or, you could take the approach of looking at the damn thing and seeing it it looks good or not.
-bob
Scary thing is I understood it to a point than you lost me on spatial frequency comb filter . In which case i use a brush :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Bob,
Careful, you have egregiously omitted the differential characteristics of color in the spectrum and how that is/is not successfully resolved ;-) -- snip --

LJ
-- snip --
OOPS.
Yes, you are right, you must consider the power spectrum of the illuminant as well as effects of discontinuous spectra not to mention atmospheric effects.
-bob

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Scary thing is I understood it to a point than you lost me on spatial frequency comb filter . In which case i use a brush :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:
Guy,
I am rapidly approaching the point where I need neither brush nor comb.
-bob

Guy Mancuso

Just shot this a hour ago with the 55mm 2.8 Mamiya 500 dollar used special. LOL

At F11 on a 12 ft ladder handheld

Digitalcameraman

We got into a partial discussion surrounding the different "looks" generated by the different sensors we were comparing in the P65+ sneak peek thread (see here: http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4333). A few folks commented on how the P25+ files with their "fatter" 9 micron pixels appeared to generate an image with more "pop." This is a fairly common reaction to 9 micron sensors from any of the manufacturers and most of us who look at a lot of digital files do see it, myself included. So I decided it might be worthwhile to start a thread about it where we can share some theories............

Cheers,

Jack:

I enjoyed reading your findings and observations between the variuos backs. I just wanted to point out a few details that need to be understood when one attempts to make this comparison both visually and in printing that I have discovered during this process.

First, each chip sees color a little differently as we have seen. Each chip has a default ICC camera profile that is automatically loaded when you open a Phase One file in Capture One software. This ICC camera profile is the recipe for the color and contrast that is going to be rendered when the original image comes into Capture One. That being said you can slide the white balance, contrast and exposure before you process the images to get them closer to each other. But as we see one file may show more saturated reds than the other files. One file may show more punch due to the contrast being a little steeper. One file may show more DR than another file due to the camera profile being applied. Once again each chip sees color differently and each chips has a different profile.

Color Editor is a very powerful tool that will allow you to tweak each profile and get them closer. But in the end we really only want the camera we use to have what we perceive as the best color and range.

My very brief testing of the new Phase One P65+ also showed that the files were a little different color and contrast due to the different camera profiles being use. I have always been a firm believer that I should use the profile that was designed for the chip being used and then make changes to it if I want to modify the way my camera is seeing color based on the camera profile being loaded in Capture One or Capture 4. Sure you could select the same camera profile for all three images but my experience has been that the color gets a little weird. The shadows may shift and have a color cast when using a profile from say a P25+ on a P65+ Raw file.

On many occasions I have been asked by people who were testing new cameras and of course comparing them to their old camera that they have built much of their confidence and trust on, why does each camera not match in color when tested side by side on the same camera body and lens? With this high end level of color we are seeing captured from most MF digital backs, we notice that one looks different than the other. And that's okay.

I truly feel we are just scrapping the surface on the quality and color levels of these new technologies.

And good observations on the pixels size and ability to see morie or not to see morie. There is not doubt that the P25+ still produces a great image and one with great range, color, and contrast. But when challenged by textiles such as clothes and fabrics or printed materials, the smaller pixels wins hands down by eliminating most of it up front before the workflow starts. There are many factors that help dictate what digital back is best suited for one's specific application. And output size is one of the main factors.

Subject matter also plays a big role. If I take a picture of a purse and it fills the frame, that image may be just a good on either of the MP backs. But when I have a picture of a model holding a purse, you really start to appreciate the fine detail that the bigger MP backs can resolve.

Optics also play a very important role here. But as Guy has just posted a shot with the P25+ and 55mm Mamiya lens($500) has great detail and edge sharpness. Now the real question is, if the new 45mm D Lens resolves detail from edge to edge as well as the 80mm and 150mm D Sekors do, we are in for a real treat.

Just wanted to share this because I think it has a lot to do with how we perceive the color and dynamic range of new products and I really feel that the camera profile is controlling much of this. On the other hand I still feel like many do that Capture One and Capture 4 produce a better rendered image so use the profile you like the best that is recommended for your chip.

Good work.

Chris Snipes
Image Production, Inc
Phase One Resller
Phase One Test Studio

www.imageproduction.com
[email protected]

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Chris,

Excellent point re profiles. I did not mention it because I know the P65 is a pre-production sample and as such I doubt the profiles are finalized. (In fact, I will go so far as to say if they are finalized, then "we have a problem Houston!" :) )

The best testing option probably would have been for me to shoot the MacBeth under controlled conditions and then built dedicated test comparison profiles for each back myself... But for anyone who has ever built camera profiles, fun it aint. Been there, done that, have the tee-shirts and don't need another one --- moreover, I like my P45+ profile set just fine as is, thank you very much :)

Cheers,

Digitalcameraman

Chris,

Excellent point re profiles. I did not mention it because I know the P65 is a pre-production sample and as such I doubt the profiles are finalized. (In fact, I will go so far as to say if they are finalized, then "we have a problem Houston!" :) )

The best testing option probably would have been for me to shoot the MacBeth under controlled conditions and then built dedicated test comparison profiles for each back myself... But for anyone who has ever built camera profiles, fun it aint. Been there, done that, have the tee-shirts and don't need another one --- moreover, I like my P45+ profile set just fine as is, thank you very much :)

Cheers,

I agree. I have tried to make camera profiles with many different products on the market and I must say I have never been able to make one as good as P1 does. Printer and monitors are easy compared to camera profiles. The only place I have seen it work well is in fine art. Doing copy work you can make a camera input profile that seems to work across the board. I have always felt that this may be due to the controlled lighting environment and color temperature. When we do various types of photography under different conditions I think the canned Phase One cameras profiles are the best, even though we use different temperature lights and the sun changes the temperature for us.

Over the years we have also seen how Phase One can make new profiles or lets say improve the camera profiles that may have released earlier in a products life. The P25+ profile is much better than the original P25. They made it much smoother in the shadows. I have got good results swapping these profiles between the 2 cameras because the chips are from similar batches.

But as you point out the P65+ is just being released and I do expect to see a better profile for it when that occurs. That chip is manufactured by Dalsa and not Kodak so it is going to see color a little differently. We went through the exact same motions when the P45 and P45+ were released. And now look at what we have.

Chris Snipes
Image Production, Inc
Phase One Reseller
Phase One Test Studio

www.imageproduction.com
[email protected]

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
It could be related to the spectral filtration of the mosaic. Narrower filters with limited overlap, that produce a linear response (so that for any point on the spectrum the sum of all channels is constant) have superior color reproduction. But wider filters can obtain better sensitivity - there is more overlap, so there is response in more channels for any given point on the spectrum. Then this is cleaned up in processing to retain accuracy in key hues (like skin). Going to a finer pitch reduces sensitivity and a simple recourse might be to recover it using less steep filtration on the mosaic. (This also sacrifices apparent dynamic range since steeper filtration changes the saturation behavior - requiring more exposure for the same number of channels to clip. And as long as at least one channel hasn't clipped some luminance gradation/shoulder can be recovered.)

Guy Mancuso

Jack:

I enjoyed reading your findings and observations between the variuos backs. I just wanted to point out a few details that need to be understood when one attempts to make this comparison both visually and in printing that I have discovered during this process.

First, each chip sees color a little differently as we have seen. Each chip has a default ICC camera profile that is automatically loaded when you open a Phase One file in Capture One software. This ICC camera profile is the recipe for the color and contrast that is going to be rendered when the original image comes into Capture One. That being said you can slide the white balance, contrast and exposure before you process the images to get them closer to each other. But as we see one file may show more saturated reds than the other files. One file may show more punch due to the contrast being a little steeper. One file may show more DR than another file due to the camera profile being applied. Once again each chip sees color differently and each chips has a different profile.

Color Editor is a very powerful tool that will allow you to tweak each profile and get them closer. But in the end we really only want the camera we use to have what we perceive as the best color and range.

My very brief testing of the new Phase One P65+ also showed that the files were a little different color and contrast due to the different camera profiles being use. I have always been a firm believer that I should use the profile that was designed for the chip being used and then make changes to it if I want to modify the way my camera is seeing color based on the camera profile being loaded in Capture One or Capture 4. Sure you could select the same camera profile for all three images but my experience has been that the color gets a little weird. The shadows may shift and have a color cast when using a profile from say a P25+ on a P65+ Raw file.

On many occasions I have been asked by people who were testing new cameras and of course comparing them to their old camera that they have built much of their confidence and trust on, why does each camera not match in color when tested side by side on the same camera body and lens? With this high end level of color we are seeing captured from most MF digital backs, we notice that one looks different than the other. And that's okay.

I truly feel we are just scrapping the surface on the quality and color levels of these new technologies.

And good observations on the pixels size and ability to see morie or not to see morie. There is not doubt that the P25+ still produces a great image and one with great range, color, and contrast. But when challenged by textiles such as clothes and fabrics or printed materials, the smaller pixels wins hands down by eliminating most of it up front before the workflow starts. There are many factors that help dictate what digital back is best suited for one's specific application. And output size is one of the main factors.

Subject matter also plays a big role. If I take a picture of a purse and it fills the frame, that image may be just a good on either of the MP backs. But when I have a picture of a model holding a purse, you really start to appreciate the fine detail that the bigger MP backs can resolve.

Optics also play a very important role here. But as Guy has just posted a shot with the P25+ and 55mm Mamiya lens($500) has great detail and edge sharpness. Now the real question is, if the new 45mm D Lens resolves detail from edge to edge as well as the 80mm and 150mm D Sekors do, we are in for a real treat.

Just wanted to share this because I think it has a lot to do with how we perceive the color and dynamic range of new products and I really feel that the camera profile is controlling much of this. On the other hand I still feel like many do that Capture One and Capture 4 produce a better rendered image so use the profile you like the best that is recommended for your chip.

Good work.

Chris Snipes
Image Production, Inc
Phase One Resller
Phase One Test Studio

www.imageproduction.com
[email protected]
Well said Chris . I have been very happy with the profiles for the P25 Plus very good all around and not much i have to do to a file. The 55 is a nice lens but i want the 45 mm since I have the 28 and sell the 35 and 55 . I like the manual override on the lens and not have to resort to the body mode for M. The new 45 is supposed to have it on board. In regards to the P65 yes the profile needs work, no question about it but the folks at Phase will have it ready for production units. Jack and I have a conference call coming with some of the folks at Phase to talk about the P65. Hopefully we can give some good input as others that may have tested it also. I like the idea of getting pre-production units out to folks and get feedback from it, just makes the end result better in my view.

EH21

Hi Eric:

Sorry you found it all meaningless, though it wasn't a "test" as you indicated but rather a comparison... Indeed Imatest is great for pixel-peep tests, and I used to do that kind of testing, however I now prefer drawing my conclusions by viewing real-world shots since at the end of the day that's how most *paying clients* judge my images. Thus I will leave scientific analysis for other folks to perform. And please feel free to post any of your own scientific test findings on the forum!

Cheers,
Hey I'd be happy to do some testing - you know DR, Color fidelity, sensor resolving power, diffraction limit stuff... BUT you'd have to lend me the p65+ first. :D I'd probably need it for a while to do the scientific tests, then another while for subjective tests. It's just the thing I need to finish my series of underwater nudes with too so hopefully I could fit that in as well.:cool: