The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

which tripod

W

weinglas

Hi Tom,

I second the advice of Carsten: My Berlebach is more than 20 Years and still not shaking ;)

But the Gitzos are also very nice (and expensive!).

Regards,
Claus

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
If I went with another tripod i think it would be a three series but I like a center column for those times i do need it way over my head (not hard to do) but don't have the access to get me up that high. Not sure which one would be better than my 2541L series or taller

Guy Mancuso

That is what i do today Carsten. I actually did that a lot yesterday shooting a house. Frame , focus and adjust at my height than just lift the column straight up over my head. The 2 series is great but when getting it that high and if any wind it could cause some issues since it is pretty far from the center of gravity. I have been getting by pretty well actually but there are days a heavier rock would maybe just feel better. You saw that one 10 second image and that worked fine, more worried about the 30 second image though.

carstenw

Can you not hang your camera bag from the hook at the bottom of the column for a little extra stability?

Hauxon

If you want quality on budget I can recommend Feisol tripods. Feisol is a company that were making carbon fiber rods for airplanes and started producing Gitzo like tripods. The tripod is solidly built and joy to use. I've used the tripod/ballhead with my 1DsII with lenses up to 500/4. There's simply no comparison between the Feisol and my former Manfrotto when using the 500mm lens. I've also used the Feisol with Mamiya RZ67 and Seagull TLR.

Best, Hrannar

Paratom

decision

Thanks again for all the good input.
I decided for the 2542L. I checked and it is high enough to shoot at eyelevel without using the center column, and to shoot with WLF without having to use the 4th leg section.
Its 1,4 kg vs the 3serious being more around 2 kg.
I might one day add a 3541XLS if I feel I dont get along with the 2542L.
But after looking and Gitzos in a store I felt that the 60cm-1,4kg 2542L would just be more portable for Hikes and stuff and therefore I hope that I would bring this tripod more often than a bigger one. From what I read here I am even confident that it might be strong enough for all my applications (since my longest lens (Nikon) is 200mm and only very few times the 200+TC.)
The tripod will be used with the Hy6 mostly anyways, where I also would not use longer focal length.
Best Regards, Tom

Guy Mancuso

Should be fine Tom since I think it is exactly like my 2541L and i get along with it very well. I do love there 2870 center post head also with the Pano head from RRS

Paratom

Should be fine Tom since I think it is exactly like my 2541L and i get along with it very well. I do love there 2870 center post head also with the Pano head from RRS
For what reason / purpose do you add the Pano head?

I was wondering if I should not just add the 2780 version with the integrated Quickrelease to save additional weight compared to adding another quick-release/ Pano plate (I have the Q-base plate for the Hy6 because the Hy6 has that system mounted on the camera body allready - but that q-base plate is pretty heavy)

Guy Mancuso

Tom reason was the plate mounts on the Gitzo heads are kind of weird they don't fit the Arca mount without an adapter, so i went for the Pano head. On the Hy6 this is something you may want to check first before ordering there clamp head. I do not know Q-base setup for it myself. Maybe check Gitzo site and do a little research on there clamp heads.

Paratom

Sure but you lose the quick release i have this one http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/562408-REG/Gitzo_GH2780_GH2780_Center_Ballhead_.html

Than they have one with quick release the question is will it work with your Hy6 plate
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/562409-REG/Gitzo_GH2780QR_GH2780QR_Center_Ballhead_with.html

See they sell a Adapter plate for the Arca mount. This bugged me so i went with center and Pano
Mmmh, I meant why do we not just screw a Gitzo plate under our camera and then can connect the camera with the Gitzo plate into the Gitzo quickrelease?

The qbase which accepts the original plate from my Hy6 ( http://www.novoflex.de/html_d/produkte.htm ) but it adds 265g to the equation.

Guy Mancuso

You can do that . I just have all RRS L brackets on camera and Arca style lens plates on the long glass, so for me I needed to stay in the Arca style camp

Ben Rubinstein

Guy, the 2541L has been replaced with the 2542L with no changes I can see rather than being more expensive (of course), I have the 2542L, absolutely love it, but wouldn't put anything heavier than a 35mm DSLR with 70-200 on it, however steady a tripod is, when you have something that tall and that light, you can't overdo it.