The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Advice on Hasselblad 500CM purchase

Stuart Richardson

I have not used the 9000 (much...I have used it ICP, but I do not own one), but the Imacon can. Generally the best way to scan is to scan extremely flat, don't clip either the highlights or shadows in the scan, and then edit the file as required in photoshop, if necessary using masks.

I have posted this photo everywhere, but it is the best example of an imacon scan I have. This was from a fairly flat negative, (Acros in rodinal, semi-stand), but the Imacon was able to get a great tonal range.

And a 100% crop at 3200dpi, unsharpened. This is above the head of the figure at left.

for comparison, here is a scan from the Minolta Scan Multi Pro at 4800 dpi. Both photos were taken with 80mm lenses of very high quality (Hasselblad and Mamiya 7)

Either scanner will make call you on your technique. If you are not perfect, they will show the softness. I believe the softer image in the second photo is a function of the scanner (a bit), but more of the different circumstances of the shots. The 1st was at f/22 (think, it would be even sharper if it were at f/8!) on a tripod, and the second was handheld at probably 1/250th or 1/500th and f/5.6 or so.