The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Gitzo GT5562LTS as "everyday" pod

Shashin

Graham, but are you trekking with your tripods? Say carrying them for 6–8 hours over 8–10 miles over not flat terrain. Now I am fairly heathy, I can lift a full glass of beer to my lips with one hand all night long, but I am not sure I could carry your gear all day AND still take photographs.

Last edited:
Just to clarify, I'm looking at the LTS, not the SGT giant.

I honestly don't really care about weight. I've carried the Manfrotto 058 out on jobs plenty of times. I just want a compact size and great stability at full height.

To that end, the Foba Asnio and some combitubes might be a possibility, but not all that flexible. Novoflex also has an interesting tripod and quadropod that come apart and would travel compactly.

I have seriously thought about the SGT giant, but figured that unless I also carry a ladder, the extra height is useless to me (I don't need THAT much extra length for uneven ground).

gazwas

Just to clarify, I'm looking at the LTS, not the SGT giant.

I honestly don't really care about weight. I've carried the Manfrotto 058 out on jobs plenty of times. I just want a compact size and great stability at full height.
We know you are looking at the LTS. The point we are trying to make to you is regardless of leg length folded, the Series 5 Gitzo is far from compact due to its top plate design.

archivue

i'm using a GT3541LS... the nice thing about it : systematic !
this means that you can use just a flat platform sometimes, or a geared column, or a rapid column... depends on application !

i'm using a GT3541LS... the nice thing about it : systematic !
this means that you can use just a flat platform sometimes, or a geared column, or a rapid column... depends on application !
I agree completely. You're buying into a "system". That's one reason I haven't really looked at RRS pods.

Gitzo, Manfrotto, and Foba are great for that.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
With the 5562LTS choice what are your criteria for that particular tripod?

The series 5 will hold as big a load as you can stick on it although it would not be my choice if you are using all 6 leg segments in normal use. When extended, the bottom leg in particular is basically a thin series 0/1 and isn't really fully rigid due it's diameter and also the combined possible slight play in all of those joints.

If I only want 150cm height then I would certainly look at one of the 5 or 3 series tripods with less leg segments. That matters a lot in terms of rigidity and is why I have the also have the RRS 3 series - I had the Gitzo 3541LTS or XLS before I changed over.

So, is a 5 series a good choice for everyday tripod? Yes. Is a short 6 segment 5 series a good choice - I'm not so sure ... I'd definitely look at one's with less segments if you don't want the height and/or consider a 3 series.

GrahamWelland

Graham, but are you trekking with your tripods? Say carrying them for 6–8 hours over 8–10 miles over not flat terrain. Now I am fairly heathy, I can lift a full glass of beer to my lips with one hand all night long, but I am not sure I could carry your gear all day AND still take photographs.
I don't typically hike that far, although a few miles isn't too unusual. Depending on the distance I'd either take the 5561 or the RRS TVC33. I may seem a masochist but truthfully I'm not THAT much of a masochist!

I do find shooting after the beer to lips routine all night to be challenging also but for other reasons.

GrahamWelland

Basically, yes. The bottom leg segments of a 6 segment 5 series tripod are pretty flimsy - ok at a pinch when needed but not ideal if you have them out all the time. IMHO.

Personally, as mentioned, if you're going to be using all of the leg segments then I'd seriously consider one of the tripods with thicker bottom legs. It helps with the LTS that the bottom segment isn't very long but it will still be a compromise compared to a thicker leg. You'll get thicker legs with a tripod with 3 or 4 leg segments.

BJNY

I have unused, boxed:
• GT5561SGT legs
• GT3541XLS legs + GS3310GS geared center column
for those looking for previous generation non-triangular top plate