The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

WB changes when pasting settings (CO7 - IQ180)

Christopher

I have a quick question regarding the WB setting in Capture One 7. When I have let's say 3 images taken with the same settings for a panoramic and adjust the WB on one image and paste the setting to the other two images it is not the same setting in the end.

Here is an example from one panoramic:

The edited image (which is the middle capture) was edited to 4500K and Tint +6

Now I copied all settings from this image to the other two images.

So now shouldn't they have the same WB settings ?

The left one has now 4429K and +5,9Tint
The right one has now 4508K and +4,7Tint

Now the images were taken with a Arca camera and an IQ180.

Is this behavior normal ? Is there some stuff going on in the background which tells C1 that to achieve the same look for all three photos the WB has to be slightly different ? Or is it because all of them have an applied LCC file ?

I just want to make sure what is actually going on.

rupho

Christopher
My impression is that camera movements cause different amounts of LCC work in C1v.7 resulting in slight differences in WB
I find it rather difficult to stitch vertically aligned exteriors when applying LCC on extreme shifts , the upper shifted image always displays more magenta after LCC
Anyway that's my guess
Grischa

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
If you do stitching with an MF back and LCC's, you need to first set your camera to a set WB -- I use DL. IF you try and use auto, you will be hosed out of the gate. Then you'll find after the LCC applications there may be slight WB differences based on the global color changes from the shifts -- and this is more prominent with the 180's tiny pixels than it is the 160. Now while still in C1, I use RGB call-out pins on selected parts of each frame that will overlap at the stitch, and tweak WB on the outer frame to match the centered frame on both sides at the chosen points. Then I process out the tiffs, then blend using whatever stitching software you prefer, but keep color blending turned on -- and you then get a perfect result.

Christopher

Let me ask differently. WHY is it that if I have 5 images from the IQ180 with an LCC file applied and paste a WB setting of let's say 5500K and 5tint, I get 5 different values on WB and only the original image has 5500K and 5tint?

I mean pasting works fine if there is no LCC applied. However, there are cases there the WB has to be adjusted after the LCC is applied, so why is it not the same for all images AND even more important!!! Should I use the suggested settings or do a manual correction ?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Because the LCC for each image changes WB globally. Or I'm not understanding your question.

yatlee

I had the same question. Thanks Jack for explaining.

A bit off topic, I also find that IQ160 is generally sharper than IQ180 when extreme shift is applied. Do you think this the limiation on the optics or the small pixel back? I'm already using Rodenstock HR glasses. I'm at a point thinking whether to stay with IQ180 or move on to IQ260 and the test shot suggest that there are benefit to be gain aside form the long exposure which I don't expect to use much. I know there is always the factor of more money and whether it justifies the difference.