The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IQ 260 Achromatic question

aztwang

Im not a MF owner..been close a few times but still try to stay educated about MF. I look at the new IQ2 series and I think they are a great offering..wireless is so cool. I am a bit perplex'd with the Achromatic model. Its a digital back so we are talking about pixels and electronic processing, not film..SO why is a black and white model offered if one can obtain the same results in post or set your IQ back to render in black and white only? True blacks, the blackest blacks and whitest whites, is that not available in black and white mode on a standard 160 or 260?... NOW before I get hammered on that last statement...this is why I'm asking this question..what am I missing on this back and its abilities and technology?
Thanks

Don

jagsiva

No bayer array....different animal to doing BW conversions. Do a search on samples from Achromat+ (P45+ without Bayer or UV/IR filters) or see comparisons between Leica Monochrom and M9 conversions. Some Leica comparisons on Stevehuffphoto.com.

In addition, the IQ260A, like the Achromatic+ before it is full spectrum, so you can also do IR/UV filtration as you wish.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
The best way to answer this is to open and look at sow raw files from the previous achromatic back. You can PM me if you'd like and I'll sen you a few.

The sharpness, tonality, grain structure and overall feel is NOT the same as a b+w converted from a standard Bayer pattern.

Also IR and UV ability.

weinlamm

If you didn't find any Achromatic-pictures - you can search for pictures of a Leica MM.
The different between the Leica M9 and the MM are the same. Same size - but a different look, real details and sharpness.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
One major difference with the MM is that the MM is tuned mostly for visible light only (there is a gentle IR cut on it). As mentioned, the Acromatic+ backs are full spectrum UV/visible/IR in addition to having no bayer array. That in itself also introduces some other variables for shooting in normal conditions if you want to avoid UV/IR contamination you'll need cut off filters. (It's also a great creative opportunity too depending on which filters you use).