The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Questions about Mamiya 645 AFD

P

pjtna

I'm trying to get into medium format digital at the lowest cost that I can. It's going to be used entirely for landscape photographs with a P25+ back.

There's a couple questions about the camera I can't find answers to though:

- Can the self timer be used in conjunction with mirror lockup?
- Does the T mode work with digital backs? I read somewhere that it doesn't.

The one feature that appeals to me on the AFD II is the ability to set any exposure up to 60 minutes in the camera. But the mirror lockup is electronic in that model. I don't think the timer and lockup work together either.

carl-b

I have used both mirror lock up and self timer together on my afd ii. It wasn't very long exposures - under 10 seconds. But it worked fine.

Can't help with the T mode question as i use film for now.

Louis Novak

In the 645 AFD II the default max exposure time in bulb setting is 60 minutes. You can change that in Custom function 23 to be less than 60 mins or set it to infinity.

T mode is not supported on the 645 ADF body.

The self timer works with mirror lock up with the ADFII body, I just tested it with a P30+. However, Mirror lock up is not supported on the 645 ADF body

Here is a manual for the AFDII Body http://www.mamiya.nl/client/mamiya/uploads/downloads/645afdii_manual_eng.pdf

Louis Novak

I tested a 645 ADF body with a P30+, T mode will not work with with a digital back. Mirror lock up also will not work.

On a 645 AFDII body mirror lock up and self timer will work together. It is not officially supported with Phase One though.

On the 645 AFDII by default the max time for bulb setting is 60 minutes which you can either shorten or make infinity through Custom Function 23

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I tested a 645 ADF body with a P30+[...] Mirror lock up also will not work.
This is not correct.

MUP on an AFD1 works great with a digital back. It's especially nice as it's the only Mamiya/Phase body which allows the mirror to remain up between exposures.

With most AFD1 bodies however you need to be on Manual Exposure and Manual Focus when using MUP, as the mirror being up precludes using either. The body doesn't provide you an especially obvious "I can't release the shutter because you've asked for AF or AE but I can't give them to you since the mirror is up" message so I can easily understand where you've confused this with a lack of compatibility.

Self timer will work with MUP, but only for timed exposures, not for bulb.

And as both you and Louis correctly point out the T mode does not work with DBs at all.

Louis Novak

Thanks Doug

I was originally testing the AFDI in auto focus. I just went back and tested it with manual focus and you are right, the mirror lock up does work.

Last edited: