The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Portfolios on an iPad - How do you get them there?

jerryreed

I see that there are portfolio apps available for the iPad (mine is the Mini iPad), and I am wondering. Anyone use an iPad to show their work in an ad hoc way, how do you get your images from where they are now, and into the iPad, and do you use an app, if so which do you like? Kinda like that.

Jerry Reed

yaya

A plug to my friend Paul Freeman's app: Foliobook

Paul is an architecture and landscape photographer and for the development of the app he used several other professional photographers, of which some are MFDB users

Cheers

Yair

Portfolio apps? I just sync photos via iTunes to folders in the Photos app, primitive, but whatever, it works for me. I just make sure to resize my images down to no more than 14mp's worth of resolution beforehand to make sure the iPad doesn't do any scaling. This is about 2x the screen resolution of the iPad3/4 (4096x3072). Never use Dropbox for getting photos on the iPad because it downsamples them to like 2mp or so, looks awful.

I will have to look into these portfolio apps and what they do.

LonnaTucker

I see that there are portfolio apps available for the iPad (mine is the Mini iPad), and I am wondering. Anyone use an iPad to show their work in an ad hoc way, how do you get your images from where they are now, and into the iPad, and do you use an app, if so which do you like? Kinda like that.

Jerry Reed
+1 for Yair's recommendation of Foliobook. But if an app isn't for you, Paul's generous knowledge base on his Foliobook support site might give you some insight into various ways to get images onto your iPad:

Foliobook : Helpdesk

convexferret

Perhaps less professional in appearance but I simply use Dropbox. I have a Lightroom export (J Freidl's Tree Publisher plugin) output my portfolio collections from lightroom directly into the Photos folder in Dropbox and then I have them all available in the Dropbox app on the iPad and can flick through the images without problems.

dizzyg44

Portfolio apps? I just sync photos via iTunes to folders in the Photos app, primitive, but whatever, it works for me. I just make sure to resize my images down to no more than 14mp's worth of resolution beforehand to make sure the iPad doesn't do any scaling. This is about 2x the screen resolution of the iPad3/4 (4096x3072). Never use Dropbox for getting photos on the iPad because it downsamples them to like 2mp or so, looks awful.

I will have to look into these portfolio apps and what they do.
Ditto, I just output the images 2x screen res to folders named accordingly in LR and use iTunes to sync those folders.

DeckardTrinity

Nice... Foliobook looks like a good app. I had looked at ZenFolio a while back but they haven't updated their app in well over a year, nor does it look like it has the level of customization for layout that Foliobook does. I've stuck it out with the built-in Photos app and syncing from Aperture but it really is a very bare bones way of presenting photos.

free1000

Thanks to yaya and Lonna for mentioning Foliobook. I'm the developer and more than happy to answer any questions people may have about Foliobook or the other portfolio apps I know about.

There's nothing wrong with using the simple approach of the Photo's app if it does the job. It benefits from simplicity and the fact that Apple built it and have the advantage of controlling the processing through iTunes, (thought they do 'optimise' images which slightly changes the colour representation).

I should add that you can add JPG images to Foliobook (and some of the other portfolio apps) using Dropbox and this is useful when away from one's main computer. I find that I rarely now use iTunes because of this.

Last edited:

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Thanks to yaya and Lonna for mentioning Foliobook. I'm the developer and more than happy to answer any questions people may have about Foliobook or the other portfolio apps I know about.

There's nothing wrong with using the simple approach of the Photo's app if it does the job. It benefits from simplicity and the fact that Apple built it and have the advantage of controlling the processing through iTunes, (thought they do 'optimise' images which slightly changes the colour representation).

I should add that you can add JPG images to Foliobook (and some of the other portfolio apps) using Dropbox and this is useful when away from one's main computer. I find that I rarely now use iTunes because of this.
I can vouch for Foliobook. Worth every penny.