The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya 45mm F2.8 "D" Press Release

kdphotography

Chris---It would be great to have the new Mamiya 45mm "D" out with you in Carmel in February.... (*hint*)

I think I might want one of these....

ken

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Well folks, looks like mine will arrive tomorrow, just in time for a good, thorough test this weekend. Look for some test images early next week :)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I just have to say it. You bastard your just making me look bad on not keeping up with you. LOL

I get the next one. LOL

Congrats Bud i want FULL reports on my desk by Monday.:D

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
LOL! I think this is maybe the first time in history I have owned something new before you!

:ROTFL: :ROTFL: :ROTFL:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Yeah... Unfortunately my history with being a guinea pig hasn't been very positive. I really hope this lens is better than the non-D version.

John Black

Jack - I thought the 45/2.8 AF was supposed to be quite good in light of its floating element design. Sounds like you felt otherwise. I'm curious what you found lacking in the original AF and what you hope is improved with the new "D" version. Thank you.

Dale Allyn

Well, I have mixed emotions about this. For the success of Mamiya, Phase One, and of course, wanting your new purchase to be good, I hope the lens is as wonderful as the new 150mm is in comparison to the old model. On the other hand, nothing reduces one's contentment with his/her current lenses like a new and improved option. :D

I'm anxious to see your results.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jack - I thought the 45/2.8 AF was supposed to be quite good in light of its floating element design. Sounds like you felt otherwise. I'm curious what you found lacking in the original AF and what you hope is improved with the new "D" version. Thank you.
Hi John:

With my non-D AF version of the 45, I found it excellent centrally to about 80% out, then the very edges through the corners fell off significantly --- to the point where they were unusable. This would usually dictate a crop was in order to about 50mm proportions, so not much gain over my 55 which is very good to excellent corner to corner at all apertures.

So what I hope is improved with the 45 D, is the corners being as good as the rest of the lens so that the whole image is usable.

Make better sense now?

Cheers,

Dale Allyn

Jack,

I fully expect the new 45 to be better than the non-D model, but your description of your non-D 45 sounds less satisfactory than what I experience. I'm not sure if mine is above average, yours was below average, or what. I have some fall-off in the corners, but it's not "unusable" in real-world shots (vis-a-vis corner sharpness). My 35mm is much softer in the corners than my 45mm, and my 55mm and 45mm are very close to one another, though I must admit that I haven't done honest, meaningful side-by-sides with the 45 and 55. Maybe ignorance is bliss. ;)

I hope and expect that the new 45 will be sharper to the edges and will have better contrast as well. It might be fun to see a side-by-side of old and new versions, but that might cost me too. :)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Dale:

I very well could have had a "bad" 45 as I only ever used that copy. My 35, which I know is an above average copy, had corners as good or better than the 45 I had, though that 45's center was as good as my 55 with perhaps even slightly higher contrast. My 55 is very good in the corners though, so maybe it's above average too.

If this new 45 D lens has corners equal to my 55, I will be a very happy camper. Then of course I'll need to sell the 35 and 55, and buy the 28 :ROTFL:

Dale Allyn

Right, I could live with "soft corners" of the 28 too. ;)

Regarding my 45 non-D: I find that it's actually quite good, though not perfect. And the lower left is the weakest area, i.e. it's softer than the lower right. Mid-left edge seems a skosh softer too, but not at all unusable.

I'm not sure how my 35mm compares to others, but I don't feel that the corners are too soft to use the files all the way to corners. And that's without using the lens correction of C1 4.5.x. I expect that software improvement to make it even better. I suppose that Guy's trick of using the 35mm correction on the 28mm would also work for someone with a 45mm lens showing soft corners. (?)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Yea it should . I do happen to have a stellar 35mm and 55mm so that maybe hard to give up unless this 45mm is much better. I want the MF control on this lens in the worst way so i would give up my 35 and 55 for it. Since i have the 28mm than it make sense. After shooting the 28mm for awhile now, i have really grown to like it a lot. Besides that it is bringing in revenue. These things for me need to bring in money and if they sit to long than i will sell it in a heart beat. I have ice in my veins when it comes to gear, nothing is sacred. No brand loyalty and no one is paying me to shoot a brand either. If something is not good than I am not afraid to say it.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I suppose that Guy's trick of using the 35mm correction on the 28mm would also work for someone with a 45mm lens showing soft corners. (?)
Well my old 45 corners were literally mush -- and ironically the lower left was the worst too -- but since mush is mush I don't think any amount of sharpening would help...