The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya 45mm F2.8 "D" Press Release

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Thanks John yes looking forward to this lens. Last I heard was any day now but will check with the Phase folks when i talk with them on Monday.

Digitalcameraman

I know Guy has been waiting for the lens. Mamiya Japan added November 20, 2008 press release saying availability as of November 2008 -

Mamiya Press Release in english

And the translated Japanese version with the date

So, I imagine we should these state-side pretty soon.

John:

Mamiya released the dealer part and pricing info on Nov 3. The dealer memo states that order accepted Dec 1 and ship date would begin Dec 10. Now I noticed when ordering parts yesterday that the update on the price list stated Jan so I think it may be any day now or Jan. Time will tell.

Chris Snipes
Image Production, Inc
Phase One Resller
Phase One Test Studio

www.imageproduction.com
[email protected]

PeterA

I have been waiting for this lens - I suspect it will become my all round stuck on body lens - my favourite medium wide angle focal length for street and snaps.

lance_schad

Workshop Member
Guy it is a new lens design, confirmed via the specs and also with talking to someone at Mamiya.
It also features the new lens case design and has the mf/af clutch like on the 80mm D.
Here is an image:

Dale Allyn

The new form-factor is very nice; the on-board clutch, etc. I have the poor-man's version, and my copy is quite nice, but if I was working like you, Guy, I'd want the new one. For now I'll have to wait and be content.

I'm curious about price too.

Last edited:

Dale Allyn

Yeah, right now I'd need to trade a bag of my glass for it too, but the 35mm is a length I like, so I'll keep it. Of course I don't have a 28. ;) Since my real business generates its own set of expenses, and I heard there was a recession (kicking my butt), my list of Mamiya "D" lenses will mostly have to wait.

I did pick up the 120mm "D" macro recently (for a specific project) and it is looking very good so far. Of course I didn't have any of the previous macro models, so I don't have a good reference for comparison. Based on what I've seen in various files (and read) I accept that the Mamiya macros have mostly been good. The design improvements in the "D" 80, 150 and (hopefully) the 45 appear to be more "measurable".

Sorry to ramble off-topic. :)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Good point Dale the D lenses I think raised the bar quite a bit. I did not think the 80 was good as it proved last week when running those back tests. The 150 is just brilliant in the D lens. I always worried about the 28mm and forum fora on it but honestly this lens is turning out to be a real star. I am constantly getting great images from it , yea extreme corners do soften slightly but really has not been that visible. Some more from yesterday with it and it still impresses me. Couple things also the barrel distortion is a lot less than i thought, although C1 corrects it in one stroke of the key along with others like CA. Anyway it has really proven to be a winner on some of the projects i have been working on. Sure a tech camera maybe better but I work to fast sometimes.