The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Restrictions for Air travelers

mark1958

THis is amazing... as of today there are some really tough new rules on how many Li batteries can be carried on board an airplane or placed in checked luggage. I usually carry 3 or 4 Apple spares, cell phone battery, Ipod, and of course all the camera/back batteries.. This is nuts. i wonder if Marc W got stopped from Detroit to Miami. I came back from Hawaii yesterday.. IF i would have left today, I would have to stay or leave most of my batteries behind. I wonder if this is going to be enforced

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=205206086

Last edited:

tom in mpls

Mark, I've been reading on other forums about this also. The specifics of the rule are confusing and not at all clear, but none the less the implication is a completely untenable situation for fliers. It's not reasonable to buy batteries at your destination, so what is one to do? Further, I understand restrictions on checked luggage to prevent fires in the luggage compartment but I don't agree that safety requires restrictions on carry on luggage.

mark1958

Tom.. I have never heard that these batteries spontaneously ignite. Most of the claims of ipods burning or catching something on fire have been proven to be bogus. There are rare reports of defective batteries can ignite while charging. This is going to be a killer for many--even non-photographers if enforced

tom in mpls

I'm certainly no expert, but I thought there have been documented cases of batteries overheating and indeed starting a fire, apparently due to short circuits. I still agree with you that this restriction is absurd. And from a practical standpoint, how in heck are the TSA inspectors supposed to figure, during their 20 second inspection, how large you batteries are or how much lithium they contain? No way can it be consistently enforced.

stephengilbert

"From a practical standpoint," my concern is a TSA inspector who mistakenly decides you can't take your battery on the plane. I guess you can carry a padded self addressed envelope to mail it home. If not, your choice is to throw it out or don't fly.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
This has been updated to allow carry on baggage to include ....essentially unlimited LI batteries as long as they are properly separated (plastic bags). The restrictions still apply to checked baggage.

Jim Stone

Workshop Member
Anyone done any flying since this new rule has gone into affect ?? Just wondering whether they're going through all cameras and spare batteries and checking cell phones. What a hassle !! :thumbdown:

Happy traveling,

Jim

ChrisDauer

Workshop Member
I have. And is -ALWAYS- the case, it is so subjective to the person you've dealing with at the airport your at.

In my particular case, neither airport had issues with my batteries.

I love to travel and have personally found that it really is in how much the security agent wants to hassle you and how much right they have to hassle you. If they don't have the right (as was in the case when I carried film), stick to your guns and you'll win out in the end. Oh, and it doesn't hurt to print out the TSA regs and carry them with you on your carry-on luggage. And don't be afraid to get their manager involved.

IMO, the only thing that has changed in the last 2 decades I've been flying is the follows: We now have considerably more hassle, for negligibly more safety.

mark1958

I am a 1K flier on United and have been on several trips and I had 4 or 5 computer batteries and a camera, with one spare battery. Not an issue.

Anyone done any flying since this new rule has gone into affect ?? Just wondering whether they're going through all cameras and spare batteries and checking cell phones. What a hassle !! :thumbdown:

Happy traveling,

Jim